Identify SG

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by MagoPawino, Jul 14, 2020.

1. MagoPawino

MagoPawino New Member

Hi guys,

I'm completely new here and in general to the SG world.
    The music teacher of the school where I work is a guitar player, this year he'll leave the school and he decided to give me as a gift his first guitar, that he bought in 2004 he said, as he's coming back to Australia and he can't bring the SG with him.

There were multiple marks, I think he never really cleaned the guitar, the fretboard was very dirty...today I've really done my best, even if I can't eliminate the marks on the body it looks way better.

I must say it, it sounds and looks pretty good, is it a special edition?

It looks "nicer" than what I would expect from an old Epiphone. Recently the guitar market has changed a lot, you find a lot of good axes for few money so I assume that even Epiphone have increased the quality, but this one looks (and sounds) very well.

Could you tell me more?

Cheers

GraphX12 likes this.
  2. Karl R

Karl R Member

Your guitar was made at the
    Unsung Plant, Korea
    on September, 2004
    Production Number: 422

3. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

That looks like a Vintage G400 from Korea, widely thought to be the best Epi SG ever produced. It was replaced by the Faded and then Worn models.

Great guitar and a really nice gift, congratulations!

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Woo ! What a gift. Hope you thanked him plently.

It is indeed one of the best SG Epiphone has put out. I have two of them, a 03 Natural and a 04 Cherry. I had four altogether.

Contrary to the run of the mill G400, this one is the closest to a real Gibson. It has a one piece neck, neck binding, long tenon neck joint, solid body without veneer, gold mother of pearl headstock inscriptions.

It was produced for two years, from mid 2003 to mid 2005. Here's the ad when it came out in 2003.

JPG.jpg
    And WELCOME to the SG zoo. Great intro to the forum. You should fit right in.

5. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

yap.. great find!!

6. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Veneers weren't used on any G-400s until later. Here's a 2004 G-400 Standard:

[​IMG]

My LP Ultra was also made by Unsung and it's a solid guitar that's been my workhorse for years. The only thing that bothers me with the Vintage G-400s is the knob placement. But of course, they'll probably never make an Epiphone that gets every single feature right.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You're right about veneer coing into action for the 2005 regular G400.
    I didn't realize they made two SG in 2004, the Vintage and yours.

About knobs I looked up Gibson SGs and some are all over the place too. Like this one for example.

8. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Best Epiclone G400, no photoflame.

It is called ''vintage''.

9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Gibson has had two knob placements since 1991; the Standard style (which you've pictured) and the '61 Reissue, which is more vintage-accurate and positions them closer to the edge of the body. The predecessor to the '61 Reissue, the SG-62 (1986-1990) actually had the knobs too close to the edge of the body, and was inaccurate for that reason (as well as the body shape being off).

10. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Active Member

Very beautiful SG, welcome to ESG!!!

11. MagoPawino

MagoPawino New Member

Hi guys,

Thanks to every one of you for your kind replies!
    I feel welcomed already :-)

Of course, I've thanked my friend a lot for his beautiful and generous gift. :cheers::cheers:

I'm not sure if he knew about the value of this SG, but the guitar has been clearly used a lot, with some marks (:facepalm:) and a lot of dirt around the fretboard and the bridge.
    I'm not an expert, but I've really done my best in order to make this beauty shine again.
    I really really like the feel of this guitar and I must say I really was surprised by the sound of it as well.

I was thinking about transforming it into a heavy metal machine, as I've already got my all-rounder axe which is my Burny Les Paul from 1983.
    The pickups on this SG are ok, but maybe I could swap them for a nice pair of Iron Gears, that are cheap but very good quality.

Anyway, I'll definitely take good care of this beauty and I'll make sure that no other marks will ruin its beautiful body :dude: