Identifying a Standard

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Jason B, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Jason B

Jason B New Member

Hey all, first post on the forum, so thanks in advance for all your help and support!

At my local antique shop, there is a vendor who will flip older/ low end guitars and sometimes nicer models (Gibson, Danelectro, Taylor, etc.). For the most part he is knowledgable and reasonable about prices, but occasionally his listings seem questionable.

Currently he an SG for sale which he claims to be a 2002 SG Standard.

First off, the serial number puts it at a 2000.
    Second, while know it is not a "faded" model due to the gloss finish, the pups are uncovered, it has dot inlays, and there is no binding on the neck. In my experience, that all adds up to a Special model, not a Standard. However, I know certain models out of the 70's had dot inlays, and I've seen a few at Guitar Center deemed Standards like that as well.

For $899, I want to know what I'm buying. It feels solid, neck is what I like, the finish is somewhere around a mahogany or a walnut (it's nut-worthy). But if I could grab the same thing at $500 somewhere else... you get it.

Is this actually a Standard? Worth the buy???

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Pics would greatly help here.

3. Jason B

Jason B New Member

No pics yet unfortunately, but I can get some within a day or two

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Most SG Standards will have bound neck with trapezoid inlays, not dots, crown inlay on headstock.

The SG Standards from the 1970’s had small block inlays instead of trapezoids.

I see SG Specials posted for sale all the time that are mis-labeled as SG Standards.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    arcticsg likes this.
  5. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Sounds like an SG Special. They came in the more usual faded finish, but also in regular gloss.
    [​IMG]

6. Jason B

Jason B New Member

Update!!!

After a little research it turns out the guitar was mislabeled as a standard. It's actually a Special model, and the serial number puts it at September 22nd of 2000.

I talked to the seller, and he set the price down from $799 to $450 because of this. If all goes well, I'll be bringing her home tomorrow!

rotorhead, bwotw and arcticsg like this.
  7. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

Good luck. $450 is a great price for a Special in Gloss Lacquer.....good luck. I have owned many, and currently own two. I usually add chrome pickup covers and they are my favorites, and I have had all kinds over the years.