I'm about to get a new guitar - any advise?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Gillean, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Gillean

Gillean Well-Known Member

So, I will be playing in a Tool cover band and I was planning to get a more modern sounding guitar. At this moment I have the SG (with 59s PAFs from mojotone, they are quite bright not that amazing for heavy sounds), the LP junior (P90) and a strat.

Love the 3, keep the 3 of them in standard tuning, play at least one of them each day.

I`ll get the new guitar to play stuff in drop D, I could use the SG, but as I mentioned it doesnt have the greatest pickups for heavy sounds, it can get as heavy as, lets say, govt mule, but put more gain than that and it doesnt have the attack or focus needed. Its a sweet singer, very vintage sounding.

now that I gave you all my excuses to buy a 4th electric guitar.

This is the one I have in mind: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-R...%3A269f1dd41600a866b4633f79fff0821f%7Ciid%3A1

I played a model that is actually below this one in the yamaha food chain (rs820) and I got astonished with absolutely everything on the guitar. I compared it to a PRS CE that I was my initial plan and I liked the yamaha more (the PRS was very cool too, nothing wrong with it).

Do you guys have experience with those revstar models? anything I should know before pulling the trigger?

Thanks again!

grausch and Biddlin like this.
  2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

If you get a chance, you might want to check out a Reverend with Railhammer pickups (not all models feature them). I haven't got into drop tunings, but I've heard the Railhammers are particularly good for it. If you like the Revstar design, you'll probably like the Sensei RA. I just saw one in fair condition sell on eBay in the UK for £392, including a nice hard case, so they can be bargains second hand.
    [​IMG]

Sorry, can't help with the Revstar - I do have a Yamaha SG with P90s and it's quite amazing - I'm sure the Revstars will be good value, I just don't know how good the pups are.

grausch likes this.
  3. drown

drown Well-Known Member

I played a Revstar in Japan this summer. Love the look and really wanted to like this guitar but it wasn't a good ergonomic fit for me. It felt really heavy and I didn't like the pickups. But sounds like those weren't issues for you. I'd just get another Gibson SG with a more modern pickup in them and have that guitar tuned to Drop D or DADGAD. Some of the 2017 are clearing our at good prices it sounds like and 2015s can also be found at great prices.

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest a PRS. I really like the way they are built, how they fit your body, and the necks ... the necks on these ! There's a lot of heavy sounding bands that use them too.

5. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

I like the Yamaha Revstar idea... on paper though, cuz I've never tried one. The Reverend Sensei is also a good suggestion... excellent quality and very reasonably priced. Research used Ernie Ball Music Man Petrucci models... can you say: "Dream Theater"?

6. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

For that type of music the Schecter guitars are a great value.... maybe a 7 string?

7. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Active Member

most of your guits, excluding strat, appear to be short scale. the rs 820 is also 24.75 if i recall. if it were me, id be inclined to get a longer scale guit, imply so that the strings dont feel like spagetti when down tuned. unless you just throw some heavier gauge strings on there.
    have you down tuned your SG and strat nd compared feel? assuming of course they have the same gauge strings.
    ive no experience with the rs820, they do seem nice though

grausch likes this.
  8. ratsalad

ratsalad Active Member

Personally I wouldn't hesitate much on getting Revstar, the higher end ones are pretty awesome... But then again, I'm kind of Yamaha biased :D

9. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Tool cover band?

Les Paul with an Ebony Fretboard, Duncan JB Bridge and Jazz Neck... hello Adam Jones. No other guitar can give you the sound of a LP, none (you mention attack and focus with gain which is where they excel).

In that price range you can pick up one of the '90's studios with an ebony 'board if you don't want to drop all that cash for a Custom.

10. Gillean

Hello everyone,

that reverend is pretty cool, but I`m decided now - it will be the revstar. I played now the actual model I have pasted the link (RSP) and I`m sold. I will post some picture when it arrives.

@gball : mate, all that you said makes all the sense in the world, I just dont like LPs... I love them when someone else is playing but they are just not for me.

thanks everyone!

syscokid and ratsalad like this.
  11. JESUSG

JESUSG Active Member

ADVICE, not advise.

syscokid likes this.
  12. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

I am not all that familiar with TOOL, but why not play with the guitars they use?

13. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Quote:
    What are the differences between advise and advice?
    Advise is a verb meaning “to give counsel to; offer an opinion or suggestion as worth following.” Advice is a noun meaning “an opinion or recommendation offered as a guide to action, conduct, etc.” The -iceending of advice is pronounced like “ice,” while the -ise ending of advise is pronounced like the “-ize” in realize.

I'm 59, and just learned something today.... Yay... :rolleyes:

14. Gillean

ok guys, I'll pull the trigger tomorrow (salary incomming!).

There is ONE thing holding me back. The one I'm about to buy is a 3 piece body...

Its not exactly an issue, its just that IF they exist in 2 piece or one piece I would prefer 2 or 1 peice body. Kinda bullshit, but hey, I'm a guitar player, I'm finicky!

I'm researching and researching and I simpy cant find information about the number of pieces of wood the Revstar RSP body have, only that the neck is always a 3 piece. so I dont know if its always 3 piece bodt or if it is random...
    Any of you guys know? maybe someone that speaks japanese? hehe

thats it guys, maybe someone can shed some light so I can pull the trigger tomorrow without fear.

Thanks everyone!

15. Notabot

Notabot Active Member

IMHO, the number of pieces in the body of the guitar matter NOT, when properly assembled.

16. ratsalad

ratsalad Active Member

Honestly you have nothing to fear buying a Yamaha in this price range... As a guitar player there are things you're going to have to get past, things that we over analyze. The fact that it's made in Indonesia, and other little things like the one you mention, it's just in our nature as guitar nerds to go there... Just let go, buy the guitar, and I'd wager you will be happy with it! I'm currently playing an Indonesian made Yamaha, that just blows away some of the American made guitars I've owned. I'm extremely glad I didn't talk myself out of it with my over analyzing as I very easily could have done... I don't think you will have any regrets with the RS820 either :thumb:

17. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I had my eyes on a girl years ago. She met every criteria I ever thought of down to a tee, someone I held out for.

Turned out she ended up a total bitch at the end and I ended up with someone that didn't meet every aspect I dreamed of, but still we are happy together to this day.

Three piece, two piece....meh. Take a chance and make that connection in spite of what you set out to be happy with.

Good luck. :)

SG standard, syscokid and ratsalad like this.
  18. ratsalad

ratsalad Active Member

I just realized that I didn't read properly... Holy ****, the MIJ RSP20CR! The craftsmanship on that should be pretty amazing!

19. Gillean

Hello wonderful friends!

IT HAS ARRIVED!!!

I wont make any comments yet, but once me and her become closer to each other I'll leave my review of this wonderful looking beast (I'll try to avoid the honey moon style review).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    syscokid, ratsalad and Notabot like this.