I'm Going Green..

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by monty359, Dec 28, 2016.

1. monty359

monty359 New Member

hi all, hope all are doing ok? :smile:

im gonna sort out my circa 2000 korean tokai sg which was looking quite rough

i only had green paint left so...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    grausch and dexspeed like this.
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

WOOHOO ! Cool ! Christmas tree green.
    This the season to be jolly ...

3. sazista

sazista Active Member

Che bella. I am planning a similar change to my SG.

4. monty359

monty359 New Member

you see everyone has a black sg, or a red one...
    colours like green, yellow and pink (ok, maybe not pink) should get more attention :smile:

lots to do - will update here with pics (im taking it slow with thin coats of course.. you can't rush these things. will add a polyurethane lacquer at the end)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ps. .. gibson decal... couldn't resist :rolleyes:

5. jml77

jml77 New Member

It will look good. I had a Green strat copy at one time, very dark green almost black with a hint of sparkle. Wish I still had it.

Is the top going to be green .

6. monty359

monty359 New Member

hi, im going to do the whole guitar green but the headstock on the front where the tokai logo is, will be black and then will try to get the gibson decal on looking good, and then some lacquer on top (the decal came with some instructions so will follow those.. here they are):

[​IMG]

7. jml77

jml77 New Member

I wouldn't do the decal if it was mine, I think Tokai are fine guitars anyway.
    What is that Pickup? 22 screws, Is that a special or a custom job. Never seen a pickup like that before. Does it sound good?

8. monty359

monty359 New Member

hi, i agree the tokai is certainly a nice brand and its a very well made guitar, but i think i will put on the gibson decal anyway, just to be a jerk if nothing else :D

the pickup is a john birch magnum 4 which i really like, very cool pickups (if you like tony iommi and that type of sound)
    i purchased for £50 new, as they are still available.. kind of a 'reissue' (as the actual original john birch pickups from the seventies are very rare and dont show up anymore, eg. ebay)

example video below of someone on youtube with the magnum 4 reissue pickup

[​IMG]

9. monty359

monty359 New Member

by the way the story behind the 22 pole pieces of the pickup was, back in the seventies, they went for that design so that when tony iommi did string bends, there wouldnt be any power lost due to the string moving away from the pole piece (like when using normal 6 pole piece pickups) :smile: (overkill perhaps haha)

10. jml77

jml77 New Member

Thanks for the info on the pickup. Very interesting indeed. John Birch had some novel customisation ideas, I suppose the 22 poles screws are fairly similar to rail pickups these days.

11. monty359

monty359 New Member

yep they later realised rails were a solution and some of the john birch pickups come as rails

the original john birch magnum pickup had a crazy high output of around 23k (!) which tony iommi wanted because back then guitar amplifiers were not as high gain as today

the newer made magnum pickup i have measures at 15k resistance; that's ok for me and it has a great clean sound (i was using a gibson 498T pickup previously, which i quite liked, but i prefer the magnum pickup)

[​IMG]

12. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You've never seen a Carvin P'up then. I've got a set of S22J & S22B Carvins in my G400 build. As for the sound? Yeah man, I dig it.

13. jml77

jml77 New Member

N, I hadn't heard of them. They look pretty mean. I have to admit though that I think I would prefer rails, not for my sg VS6 but for single coil style humbuckers for my strat.

14. sazista

sazista Active Member

So, did you ever finish the paint job? I'd love to see it. I'm tired of the same ol colors on SGs.

15. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

I've been inspired. I have an ash tele body that I've been thinking green. You may have pushed me over the edge.

16. dexspeed

dexspeed Active Member

Motivational green sg post!
    [​IMG]

Lets see some pictures of that finished project! It's lonely having one of the few green ones around here.....

grausch likes this.
  17. monty359

monty359 New Member

hi duudes yes, sorry about forgetting, i forgot and then got an email today reminding me to not be a jerk and come back :smile:

i will post some pics tomorrow then.. but just to say.. it's ended up not all green, and i ditched the gibson decal :thumb:

18. sazista

sazista Active Member

Not easy being green. Name him Kermit. Beautful!

dexspeed likes this.
  19. monty359

monty359 New Member

hi again dudes, here are the final pics of the finished guitar, perhaps not to everyones tastes haha but i am happy with it;
    i ended up using a combination of green paint, along with some black, blue, and there is some of the original red of the guitar coming through also. for the clear lacquer coating over the paint i ended up using a few coats of tru-oil which i find to be an excellent product:- it is very easy to apply, dries fast, hard, and smooth (both in looks and feel).
    the original tokai logo was a little damaged from the past but it's ok and i am not bothered by the damage.
    so that's that then. :smile:

ggp7.jpg

ggp1.jpg

gpp2.jpg

gpp3.jpg

gpp4.jpg

gpp5.jpg

ggp6.jpg

dexspeed, vonserke and grausch like this.
  20. sazista

sazista Active Member

lAbsolutely fantastic! I love it. Like old melted crayons on a summer day or a patina tinted marble slab. Grat work. I am inspired.x