I'm trying to convince Gibson to make me a carved top sg. Will you help me convince them?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Emperor, Jun 21, 2020.

1. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

So get a kill switch & let the volume controls do their job... ;)

[​IMG]

2. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Yes, I got that and I don't really see it being impossible. Me, I'm more of a "If chicks don't know the difference then screw it" kind of guy I usually stick an extra humbucker, dead, in the middle for looks. Then wire the guitar one pickup - one volume kill pot and that's all I need to rock and roll all day and part of every night. But hey, we're all different.

Emperor likes this.
  3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Not sure if you were just referring to the carve shape, but it looks to me like the body shape on that copy is accurate. It's amazing how much the bevels change the appearance of the shape. That's why the '72 Deluxe looks like they changed the shape too, when they really only changed the bevels. The shape of the SG alone looks awkward without the bevels.

I think his point is just that they don't have their machinery set up for that, so it would not be as simple as mixing and matching features like they are set up for. Re-progamming machines takes time and money (and halting production in the meantime) so it's not worth it unless they are introducing a new model line entirely or something.

It would be like instead of ordering your Ford with the specific options you want, asking them to design a new Mustang just for you. Designing a car costs millions of dollars despite them selling for $30k because those costs are amortized over a mass production run. A one-off has to pay for itself, so for them to make a profit on that guitar, it would have to be like $10k (uneducated guess, here).

voodoomin likes this.
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Two controls work fine. My favorite studio guitar has 1V and 1T, making it much easier to use and find the tone I'm looking for that instant.
    Because you actually want to play it instead of hosting this pity party.

pancake81 likes this.
  5. Emperor

Emperor New Member

I don't see how this is a pity party.
    Maybe your just having a bad day, and feel better when you try to talk down to people online?

Because I'm looking for support from a community that also likes sg's. Not asking for pity.

So yet again I'm not understanding you.

6. Biddlin

Too bad 'cause I'm pretty sure I understand you quite well.:io:

7. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Well if you understand me; then I'm sure you understand that I want this to be a friendly and supportive thread.

Have a good day mate

8. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Funny enough tho I did find this video just now.

Perhaps it will make your day better

9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

10. Von Trapp

I put a kill pot in my Diablo, works like a charm.

Emperor likes this.
  11. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Okay that's pretty rad

12. Von Trapp

Emperor likes this.
  13. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I get where you’re coming from. Sometimes, you just have “That” guitar in your head. A couple of years ago I modified a Jackson Dinky to have a Les Paul-ish control layout (with some minor deviations) just because I didn’t like the stock Jackson setup. I couldn’t just live with the way things were...so out came the drill and router!

I do sympathize with your aspirations. I especially like the idea of the side-mounted output jack. Gibson has done that off and on over the years. I much prefer it. However, I don’t think any number of us lobbying Gibson is going to change anything. I mean, it would be really cool if they would.

Emperor likes this.
  14. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

Never cared for that Diablo thing. Now if they would make one like a Les Paul. Thick mahogany with 1/2" Maple cap, carved like LP's. I think I'd like that. Or maybe an ES SG.
    The first 1275 was a semi hollow and it looked kind of cool. Don't see them very much.
    Last one I saw, Rodger Hodgson of Supertramp was playing. That was a few brain cells ago.

Emperor likes this.
  15. Biddlin

Then the complaint would be "It's so heavy!" Lol.

16. smitty_p

A funny thought just occurred to me - well, a recollection, actually.

I remember years ago thinking that I would like pretty much the exact thing you've described, except I'd prefer humbuckers...or mini-humbuckers (I realize in your OP you expressed a desire for P-90s).

Anyhoo...a few years back I had the same thought about how much I'd like a Diablo-carved SG, with the traditional Gibson four-knob control layout, and a side-mounted output jack.

Weird, huh?

(I still don't think Gibson will do it for us, though!)

Emperor likes this.
  17. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

I understand the want/need for whatever guitar us nuts are obsessing over. I am completely guilty of it myself. OCD over Instrument’s is a fun hobby, and have often got a design or modification in my head that I can’t shake.

As to Biddlin’s comment, I believe what he is saying is don’t lose touch with the purpose of the instrument. I see this comment or variations of it lots around here. I am the most guilty to be honest. I spend more time reading about guitars, entering posts, researching models and following price trends than I do playing. I feel like I have been playing the same 20 songs for 20 years... but hey, I am happy. That has to account for something

18. smitty_p

Ahh yes...the mighty Yamaha SBG series (as it was called here in the US). I think those things look really cool.

I first remember seeing those when Carlos Santana played them. It would be cool to have one.

SG standard likes this.
  19. Emperor

Emperor New Member

Thank you for the support, its nice to see that others also are interested in this concept!

It's funny that you mention Carlos Santana, cause the main reason I want it with p90s is because I remember him on video playing a p90 equipped sg when he played during that historic Woodstock concert

Got to meet him once too in Vegas; it's was super awesome to get to have a conversation with him.

"Make it to sound like a 1000 T-rexs screaming in your ear" ~ Carlos Santana

20. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Yes, he was involved in the development of the SG during the 70s and a very significant endorsee. That, combined with the high quality and low cost (polar opposites of Gibson at that time) meant they were very popular in the UK. By 1980 I rarely saw a Gibson SG on TV, but Yamaha SGs were popping up all the time. I actually bought an SG700 in 1980 - couldn't possibly afford a Gibson back then, but was very happy with the Yamaha as a kind of substitute. The SG1802 in the photo really brings back good memories for me. :)

But by the 90s a strong yen and Yamaha's unwillingness to move production overseas meant their SG was too expensive, and without the history and heritage of Gibson it faded away on the international market. Many guitarists don't recognise them now and have no idea how popular they once were.