In need of more brain food pls

Igonuts

Reaction score
Fretless Wonders should be pretty unmistakable because they aren't crowned at all, they're totally flat like a staple.

Here's a picture of some new old stock Fretless Wonder fretwire (so we can rule out any play wear), and you can see they're basically a T shape.

http://www.timeelect.com/fw-3.jpg

http://www.timeelect.com/fw-2.jpg

It's only due to years of play wear that anything other than a Custom would look close to that.

I seem to remember playing one of those. Made some friends over the phone at GC in Nashville. This summer i'm planning an over nighter there. Check out GC and go to the Gibson plant for a tour. GC is gonna set up a firebird and a late 60's SG custom for me to check out. Put some .008s on em. I'm not worthy! Guessing they have a huge store and inventory on display. After all, it is Nashvillle. Those guys there are so cool.
I know, I will be taking pics to share. Otherwise, "it never happened".

For me guits have to first feel good not plugged in and of course play well to the hand. Construction wise, save specialties like fender, guild gretch, and the like, i prefer, bolt on, set, and neck thru as the best.

In Nashville, the young kid in me sees myself hanging out on a sidewalk w my accoustic playing the blues.

Gawd, i learn so much here.

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
8’s and low frets might be a good combo for an 8’s player.
9’s and 10’s could use more mass.
I try to avoid opinionated bullshit but here I am just killin it.

Igonuts

Reaction score
I try to avoid opinionated bullshit but here I am just killin it.

You're good w me.
Opinionated b.s., i dont mind. Different takes on different things. Makes the world go round. It's the "holy-er than thou" opinionated b.s., i can do w/o. Realy havent seen that here (yet). That's why i joined. Was at Andertons site for a while. Very clickish. Tho the site had tons of resources.
I'm a jokester/kidder. Doesnt come off well in print sometimes. Have to constanly mind meself. Add the "lol's" everytime. After my stroke, my intended meaning doesnt allways show clear. I have to micro "office" most of my posts first. Arg.... no obvious trolls that hunt ppl like me down here. And i can ramble.................

Anywho, thanks to all for the education and *opinions. Which is what i asked for in the OP. Most enlightening.

Last edited:

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Here's an interesting, short video by Rick Beato and his crew of fellow YouTubers out of Atlanta trying to determine if/how string gauge makes a difference in tone. I believe their conclusion was lighter gauge tightens the midrange a bit and that you don't need to play on piano wires to get a "fatter" tone (what they call the the "SRV effect").

Igonuts

Reaction score
Here's an interesting, short video by Rick Beato and his crew of fellow YouTubers out of Atlanta trying to determine if/how string gauge makes a difference in tone. I believe their conclusion was lighter gauge tightens the midrange a bit and that you don't need to play on piano wires to get a "fatter" tone (what they call the the "SRV effect").
--------
An Abiding Dude didnt quote the following. I just messed up some how... ???

Dude! Just droppin in? "Rock" that boat. Lol. Glad you posted that.
Bad hearing i have. What i heard, 11s > 8s, the bottom dropped out a little each time. Which made room for more mid presence. Which, could be revived via most amp EQs. 11s having more mass to interupt the mag field. More amplitude. Which 8s would be lacking. I think for that reason (w tone+feel) most the young players, like that one guy said, just aren't ready to change. IMHO.
For my playing style, it's always been about ease of playing. I use EB 8s. Drop low E to D. Purdy much since day one. Problem I have as noted on the tuner, is the low E(D) twangs sharp w a 38 string when it's struck hard. And i get a little rough w my guits at times. And drop half step, it's very audible. Prolly try w a 40 as a 6th string.
Funny, I must be as old or older as the one guy. Started in 69 using 7.5s. On jap duotones and gyotones guits. EB packed an extra hi E string in each pack cause they were prone to breakage. giging by late '72 w SG, had to go 8s for fear of breaking during a set. Didn't have a bank of guits at the ready.

Igonuts

Reaction score
IFDK how i did that?.. Arg. Try that again.
‐‐------------
Bad hearing i have. What i heard, 11s > 8s, the bottom dropped out a little each time. Which made room for more mid presence. Which could be revived a myriad of ways. 11s having more mass to interupt the mag field. More amplitude. Which 8s would be lacking. I think for that reason (w tone+feel) most the young players, like that one guy said, just aren't ready to change. IMHO.
For my playing style, it's always been about ease of playing. I use EB 8s. Drop low E to D. Purdy much since day one. Problem I have as noted on the tuner, is the low E(D) twangs sharp w a 38 string when it's struck hard. And i get a little rough w my guits at times. And drop half step, it's very audible. Prolly try w a 40 as a 6th string.
Funny, I must be as old or older as the one guy. Started in 69 using 7.5s. On jap duotones and gyotones guits. EB packed an extra hi E string in each pack cause they were prone to breakage. gigging by late '72 w SG, had to go 8s for fear of breaking during a set. Didn't have a bank of guits at the ready.

Last edited:

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
IFDK how i did that?.. Arg. Try that again.
‐‐------------
Bad hearing i have. What i heard, 11s > 8s, the bottom dropped out a little each time. Which made room for more mid presence. Which could be revived a myriad of ways. 11s having more mass to interupt the mag field. More amplitude. Which 8s would be lacking. I think for that reason (w tone+feel) most the young players, like that one guy said, just aren't ready to change. IMHO.
Funny, I must be as old or older as the one guy. Started in 69 using 7.5s. On jap duotones and gyotones guits. EB packed an extra hi E string in each pack cause they were prone to breakage. gigging by late '72 w SG, had to go 8s for fear of breaking during a set. Didn't have a bank of guits at the ready.
I've become a fan of Rotosound's hybrid 9s (Orange pack). The high end strings from a regular set of 9s (9p, 11p, 16p) and the low end from a set of tens (26w, 36w, 46w). They are a great mix of high end bendability and low end presence.

Igonuts

Reaction score
I've become a fan of Rotosound's hybrid 9s (Orange pack). The high end strings from a regular set of 9s (9p, 11p, 16p) and the low end from a set of tens (26w, 36w, 46w). They are a great mix of high end bendability and low end presence.

Thats one heckle of a jump from 16-26. And right down the C/L of the board. On what guits do you use those? Solids? I only have 3 guits. Gib '21 SG '61, epi G400 SG, and a POS acoustic. Run EB 8s on all. Think I'd have a problem w your mix. Arthritis and left hand smashed in a log splitter, i have issues sustaining a strong bar. My hand/fingers wont hold right angles to the board on bar chords. Prolly end up w the 16 buzzing meself. But the 11 is equal to EBs 2nd. Thinkin bout it, thats a fairly strange mix. Not judging. Also, did you have to compensate for even/desired amplitude across the board? Adjust pup screw height? Notable difference, 16>26. And the clip you just posted demonstrates a difference in presence. Gauge spread be typically closer.

Last edited:

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Thats one heckle of a jump from 16-26. And right down the C/L of the board. On what guits do you use those? Solids? I only have 3 guits. Gib '21 SG '61, epi G400 SG, and a POS acoustic. Run EB 8s on all. Think I'd have a problem w your mix. Arthritis and left hand smashed in a log splitter, i have issues sustaining a strong bar. My hand/fingers wont hold right angles to the board on bar chords. Prolly end up w the 16 buzzing meself. But the 11 is equal to EBs 2nd. Thinkin bout it, thats a fairly strange mix. Not judging. Also, did you have to compensate for even/desired amplitude across the board? Adjust pup screw height? Notable difference, 16>26. And the clip you just posted demonstrates a difference in presence. Gauge spread be typically closer.
I make absolutely no pretensions of being a tone expert or being able to differentiate tonal variations with strings, pickups, etc., just know what I like and sounds good to my ear, I just kind of stumbled on to these and liked the sound/feel of them. I have a "guitar doctor" that does my set ups and then I generally just leave it alone because he really knows what he is doing and takes a lot of the guesswork out of the equation. Once in a while I'll notice something like the high "E" is quieter in relation to the "B" and "G" strings and I'll raise the pole piece to compensate. But I am definitely an amateur luthier. That's a bummer about your left hand though, but I guess there are always solutions if you want to play badly enough. Tony Iommi is the poster child for that school of thought.

Frankly, I couldn't really tell a difference in the Beato video, but I like to think I can (LOL). I use these on any guitar set up for standard tuning, 10s on 1/2 step or full step detuned (Rotosound Yellows), and 11s (Rotosound Reds) on my Iommi "Monkey" that I keep a step and half flat to play Master, Vol. 4, Bloody and Sabotage tunes on. Ernie Balls are okay, but for some reason I am drawn to the Rotosounds. Probably The Who fan in me. "Hold your group together with Rotosound strings!"

Igonuts

Reaction score
I make absolutely no pretensions of being a tone expert or being able to differentiate tonal variations with strings, pickups, etc., just know what I like and sounds good to my ear, I just kind of stumbled on to these and liked the sound/feel of them. I have a "guitar doctor" that does my set ups and then I generally just leave it alone because he really knows what he is doing and takes a lot of the guesswork out of the equation. Once in a while I'll notice something like the high "E" is quieter in relation to the "B" and "G" strings and I'll raise the pole piece to compensate. But I am definitely an amateur luthier. That's a bummer about your left hand though, but I guess there are always solutions if you want to play badly enough. Tony Iommi is the poster child for that school of thought.

Frankly, I couldn't really tell a difference in the Beato video, but I like to think I can (LOL). I use these on any guitar set up for standard tuning, 10s on 1/2 step or full step detuned (Rotosound Yellows), and 11s (Rotosound Reds) on my Iommi "Monkey" that I keep a step and half flat to play Master, Vol. 4, Bloody and Sabotage tunes on. Ernie Balls are okay, but for some reason I am drawn to the Rotosounds. Probably The Who fan in me. "Hold your group together with Rotosound strings!"

Just cuz i talk out my a**, doesnt mean I'm a luthier either. Bad hands and all, i have to have others do the tech stuff. And a stroke left me blind in one eye. So no depth preception. I lost the hearing for high frequencies from jet engines (USAF) and loud amps. But i can still hear subtle differences in the mid and low range. Yea, I'm a mess.
Oh, I'll find a way to play regardless. Guit is my dairy, mistress, confidant, confesional, and conscience.

Gawd! You have a monkey????? P-90 gods must be good to you. Fell in love w those and SGs listening to Santana. I know, old school.

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
Just cuz i talk out my a**, doesnt mean I'm a luthier either. Bad hands and all, i have to have others do the tech stuff. And a stroke left me blind in one eye. So no depth preception. I lost the hearing for high frequencies from jet engines (USAF) and loud amps. But i can still hear subtle differences in the mid and low range. Yea, I'm a mess.
Oh, I'll find a way to play regardless. Guit is my dairy, mistress, confidant, confesional, and conscience.

Gawd! You have a monkey????? P-90 gods must be good to you. Fell in love w those and SGs listening to Santana. I know, old school.
Just to be clear, I didn't drop 20 grand on a custom shop, I got one of the $2,400 models, which in and of itself is a bit of cheese (in fact, I think it is the most I've ever spent on a single instrument). It is fun to play, you half to back off the volume knob because those pickups are so damn hot. I get your vibe, they'll have to pry the guitar out my cold, dead hands when I shuffle off this mortal coil. I imagine this'll be me in about thirty years>

image157.jpg

Igonuts

Reaction score
Just to be clear, I didn't drop 20 grand on a custom shop, I got one of the $2,400 models, which in and of itself is a bit of cheese (in fact, I think it is the most I've ever spent on a single instrument). It is fun to play, you half to back off the volume knob because those pickups are so damn hot. I get your vibe, they'll have to pry the guitar out my cold, dead hands when I shuffle off this mortal coil. I imagine this'll be me in about thirty years>

image157.jpg
Hotness always works w guitars and women. Tacos too. Thats just me.
Did some indepth look at the monkey. Original/reissue-custom and std. Personally, dont care much for new "aged" guits. Which (Iommi sig) comes like from the customm shop. Imagine a new reissue sig Dale Earnhardt nascar, pre-dented w faded paint. Not. Again, thats just me.
I'd prefer the 2400 one. Still w P90s, wrap around bridge, orange drop caps. Only thing that bothered me was the horn strap button. Back in the day those configs tended to split the wood over time. But, all gibbies, original owner, should have a lifetime warranty. Iffin i not mistaken.
Anywho, i think you made the more practical and better choice.:cheers:

Latest posts