Info on this 2005 SG please

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Brazoo, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Brazoo

Brazoo New Member

Hi - the seller of this SG thinks it's a Standard, but I'm pretty sure it's a Special (or something else). Can someone please tell me the exact model so I can look up the specs?

Serial Number: 023150427

Attached Files:

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

2005 SG Special

If gloss finish, then SG Special.
    If satin finish, then SG Special Faded.

I've never seen a mid 2000's SG Special in factory gloss white before, only the 1999-2000 Limited Edition models. And this one hasn't yellowed that much for its age. Wondering if it was a refinish?

They did produce some mid to late 2000's with satin finish (Faded) in white.

Serial Number Format:

YDDDYBRRR
    YY = Year
    DDD = Day
    B = Batch Number
    RRR = Production Rank

Pickups:

490R / 490T Humbuckers

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Brazoo likes this.
  3. Brazoo

Brazoo New Member

Okay - that's exactly what was driving me nuts! I was pretty sure it was a 2005 Special but I cannot find a white one to reference it!

But I'm really new at this, so I thought I must be making a mistake. Thank you so much!

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Alpine White was an option throughout the '90s. Here's the '93 catalog:

[​IMG]

The limited edition you're thinking of was called Cream and included gold hardware.

But in 2005, it would have had to be a special run, because they no longer offered any white finish. Looks like it has an Ebony fretboard too, just like the '90s Alpine White models used.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Modern SGs can be distinguished from one another by some of the features.

An SG Standard will be equipped with trapezoid inlays, as well as the Pineapple inlay on the
    headstock. The Standard will feature the Gibson deep gloss finish and binding on the neck.
    This model will also be issued with covered pickups... Gibson's 490R and 498T... which are
    the factory stock pickups for the Les Paul Standard as well.

An SG special will be equipped with dot inlays on the fretboard, and a plain headstock.
    The SG special will often be equipped with uncovered pickups, and no binding on the neck.
    Stock pickups for an SG special are Gibson's 490R and 490T pickups.... a less elite set
    which sound fine of course.
    The SG special will also feature the Gibson deep gloss finish, and there is a less expensive
    version of the SG special, called the SG faded special which is issued with a thinner and
    non-glossy varnish

All of these models are very desirable, but at different price points.

If someone tells you that a Gibson SG with dot inlays and uncovered pickups is an SG Standard,
    this is simply not true.

Used Gibson SG Standards are worth a few hundred dollars more than their
    SG special cousins... Glossy SG specials might be worth a couple hundred dollars
    more than their SG faded special cousins... or they might not. Our faded specials
    are very well regarded, as are the SG Specials and the SG Standards.

so the answer is: They're all good, but don't pay too much for an SG special that the
    seller claims is a Standard. Gibson set the price of the Special lower than the Standard because
    the inlays and binding are more expensive for them to produce. The same for the 'faded specials..."
    because the Gibson deep gloss is a very expensive process, and Gibson fans have proven that they
    are willing to pay for it.

The Gibson "faded" finish is thinner and softer and less expensive for the
    factory to produce... so the SG faded special is the 'Workingman's SG..."
    it's got all the rawk and Kerang, but none of the bling... so the hardworking and
    underpaid guitarist who buys one gets almost everything that the buyer of a Gibson
    costing three to five times as much gets. He just doesn't get the decorations. And he
    probably doesn't care about them. He just wants to rock... and at a price he can afford.
    That was my choice. Good luck with yours.

6. cerebral gasket

Yes on Cream.

I should have referred to the finish color on the Limited Edition as “Cream” and not “White” as I had a 2000 model in the past. The neck pup cavity even has “CR” written in it for “Cream”.

The gold hardware was changed to chrome and pup covers were added on mine. When I purchased it, the local store had it listed as a Standard and I had to correct them that it was a Special.

Hardware can be replaced, but neck and headstock markings will always reveal what model.

2000 SG Special

[​IMG]

The OP guitar in question may be a special run for the Japanese market as they often received finish colors that were not available in the States in the mid to late 2000’s.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    PermissionToLand likes this.
  7. cerebral gasket

I always look at the neck and headstock markings to identify model as those features are not easily changed out like knobs, pup covers, truss rod cover plates, etc.

8. Brazoo

Brazoo New Member

Thanks again everyone.

Col. Mustard - they're asking $950 CAN (about $750 USD) which doesn't seem like a wacky price for a Special vs a Standard. I think it's possible he legitimately mixed up the names.

9. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

if it has dot inlays on the fret-board, its not a Standard. The only 'Standard' SG I know of that has/had dots for fret-board markers, from the factory, was the 1979 SG "The SG", the same models produced after it, from '80-'83(?) were called 'FIREBRAND'. IDR if they had dots on those Standards......those guitars were a li'l different types SG's, budget friendly models w/walnut bodies and some even had Ebony FB's, if not rosewood.there were 'Standards' and 'Deluxe' models and they were like all Gibson 'SG's...KILLERS.

10. cerebral gasket

1979 SG Standard has bound neck, small blocks, crown inlay on headstock.

“The SG” was a re-branded SG Special.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  11. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

The ony one I know about, for sure and WOD, was the one '79 I owned, which was actually not a Firebrand, but simply 'The SG'. Over the decades I have seen maybe 2-3 Firebrands, all w/Dots, no binding, no headstock veneer.HS, Mine screeemed.Walnut and Ebony, tone Monster.

According to this non-Gibson, fairly informed and from what I have seen usually pretty accurate page, there was no junior /special 'Firebrand' or 'The SG' SG. The page does mention something about those models replacing the Special or something like that.

https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/The_"SG"_/_Firebrand

12. cerebral gasket

"The SG" and Firebrands were just one of the many versions of the SG Special. The SG Special underwent so many changes over the years and was marketed under different names but was still an SG with dots and two pups, except for a few years in the 1970's when it had small blocks.

What it boils down to is all SG are based off one of the four original models.

SG Junior
    SG Special
    SG Standard
    SG Custom

Neck and headstock markings will always indicate which model.

13. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

Yes, and dots are a dead giveaway that its surely not a standard. There is a thread around here somewhere where a Player is looking to buy a certain SG and the guy selling it is saying its a Standard, but it has Dots for in-lays/markers.....I was going to point that out to our fellow member, but a few others already have.

Btw, do you know why (and asking why Gibson ever does anything is ^&%$*^%$ !) Gibson put the 'Les Paul 100' signature on the 2015 SG Special Headstock ? as far as I know, the guitar is not a Les Paul (not a '61-'63) and sure ain't 100 years old. I looked at it the other day and I just thought (besides the usual being really goofy lookin' & ugly): WTF is that even there for ? Looks like the guy had a case of the shakes when he wrote it.

14. trypeus

trypeus Member

2015 100th anniversary of LP's birth. Also the year of the G-Force and subsequent 'sprint runs' (without G). The standard had two 57 Classic pups (should've had a 57 Classic-plus in the bridge IMO - maybe spoiled the ship for a ha'porth o tar?). The special was loaded with uncovered 61 zebras. I have a 2015 standard ( first choice was a special but the dealer didn't have one in so offered me a standard at the same price) The 57s sound great, but I also know what a bridge 57-plus brings to the party and, y'know, why didn't they? Damned shame.

15. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

They did it as a service to buyers, so that the 2015 Gibsons will forever remain affordable since nobody wants them and hence prices stay low?

16. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

LOL, thats a good one, I got a laugh out of that, THANK YOU ! U kno,I bought the Special to beat the $#!T out OF, and to spare my Custom/335’s and Standards the daily beatings....and I tell ya......that li’l Special takes its beatings like a Champ....and sounds as good as one of my Explorers that has B-Buckers 2&3. I was leery of the ‘61’s but turns out they arent bad (some players despise them,) as the magnets are the ALNICO 5’s so they do scream a bit !

trypeus and Steve D like this.
  17. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

A tribute to Les, nice bit there, after all he did, I guess its fitting !
    Yes, imma big fan of ‘57’s, Love ‘em in an SG Standard...Gibson’s spec sheet on the ‘17 Standard I got (best in class that year?) was for ‘57+ in the bridge pup, but , tho I hav yet to look IDT it is a +, just a reg ‘57...yup, shame, but at least they put ‘57’s in it.....which stopped the next year, IIRC.

18. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I have an SG with Burstbucker 1/2 combo and I really like it. Some people say BBs sound like trash, others love them. Just like all pickups. I haven't played a guitar with the '61s but I did have a Les Paul with ''57 Classics in it and I didn't like them in that guitar because they sounded shrill. I'd say of all the humbuckers i have had in a Gibson I've owned (T-tops, tarbacks, burstbuckers, 57 classics) they were my least favorite. And many will call me a heretic for saying so. But my ears are my own, and they are bad but they're the only ones I have and that's the same with everyone else. Like what you like and if you sound a little different than everyone else then all the better.

19. trypeus

trypeus Member

61s definitely sound more shrill to my ears (but still great). I do prefer the 57s but that's my ears.

20. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

Agree Bro, I had a Lester w/'57's in it and did not like em in that guitar...BUT, in an SG Standard, for whatever reason, '57's KICK A$$ !

Steve D likes this.