Inlay issue

sgguitarzz

Reaction score
I am playing some 55+ years now. About 2 years ago I bought a Gibson SG 61 reissue. Very nice guitar. The other day I picked it up to play and one of the inlays somehow has risen slight above the fretboard where you can play but you can feel it. I am not sure what if anything can be done. I have never seen or experienced this on any other guitar. Any help would be appreciated.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
This probably occurred because of changes in temperature and/or humidity.
Frets will rise out of the fretboard on many guitars for the same reason.
Good luck with this...

If you bought your guitar new, it might still be under warranty.
if not, it's your duty to get this repaired by the best luthier you can find or afford.
It's probably not a difficult or expensive repair, although if the inlays are
sprouting, you might have frets doing it too.

Will V.

Reaction score
I picked up a used 2017 SG Standard that had the same issue. The inlays appeared to be warping in the wrong direction as if they were concave when viewed from above. It was a GC purchase so I returned it without problem but apparently this issue can be fixed with some careful application of cyanoacrylate and clamping.

sgguitarzz

Reaction score
Thanks I will probably just send it to my tech and have him do it right. I would be surprised if it would stil be under warranty

Gary Gretsch

Reaction score
I like that because I am not sure where you live but from N.Y. to Nashville It will cost me $96.00 shipping and between $50.00 and $100.00 insurance. That is a lot of bread when you or someone local can do. In the long run better off not sending it off. Also shipping a guitar always scares me. so much could happen the way things get thrown around.

Eismal

Reaction score
Had this problem on a 2016 sg standard recently. Inlays on fret 3,5,17 and 19 popped out. I put a thin piece of wood on top of them and gently hammered them back in. No glue. Been ok for week now.

sgguitarzz

Reaction score
I like that because I am not sure where you live but from N.Y. to Nashville It will cost me $96.00 shipping and between $50.00 and $100.00 insurance. That is a lot of bread when you or someone local can do. In the long run better off not sending it off. Also shipping a guitar always scares me. so much could happen the way things get thrown around.
I agree 100%

Norton

Reaction score
without glue your inlays will fall out again....eventually.

gibson doesn't use CA/super glue on their inlays, but they should.

Jetter

Reaction score
I had bought a used 2016 Les Paul traditional that I noticed after I bought it had 3 inlays that had rasied up. I was worried but I took it to a luthier and it was a super simple fix for a pro. They'll glue them back down and it'll be like new.

MR D

Reaction score
I am playing some 55+ years now. About 2 years ago I bought a Gibson SG 61 reissue. Very nice guitar. The other day I picked it up to play and one of the inlays somehow has risen slight above the fretboard where you can play but you can feel it. I am not sure what if anything can be done. I have never seen or experienced this on any other guitar. Any help would be appreciated.
That happened to a Les Paul I have, but it arrived that way and....BACK IT WENT, and SWEETWATER Luthiers/Techs
FIXED IT...You did register the guitars warranty, yes? Even if you did not ,a receipt should be all you will need.

NOTE: This IS not major surgery but if you do it and screw it up, you would probably void the warranty. ...AND no one likes fixing something someone else screwed up.GIBSON USA honors its warranties. I have never performed a minor repair like this b4. SO.I'D SEND IT BACK. IDK, popping the Inlay out? How would you do it ? take a screwdriver to the inlays side and contact the fret-board to pop the INLAY out??? NO......OR drill into the inlay SLIGHTLY and use a tiny awl TO REMOVE THE INLAY ?(Good luck finding the tiny awl.)Then turn it upside down when gluing it back in ? OR use fabric covered pliers to try and lift the INLAY out ? I'd say the uninitiated could really screw it up ! IF under warranty, give the job to GIBSON USA.
I did not look at the repair video above, interesting ?

Last edited:

Latest posts