Installing Pickup rings on FullGuards etc...

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
If you choose to install mounting rings, keep in mind the ones for bridge are taller than the ones for neck.
You don't have to drill holes in the large guard to use mounting rings.
The tension from the spring on the pickup height adjustment screw is enough to keep the mounting ring tight against the guard.
+1 on pickup rings.

No guard, small guard or large guard, they ALL should have the rings installed IMO.

The rings are wedge-shaped to offset the neck to body angle keeping pickups parallel to strings.

My rings for my V arrive today. I'm tired of the wonky bridge pickup.

Got pics of your mounting?

I was going to put machine screws and nuts on the 4 mounting holes on the ring. That would be just for looks.

I would just put shorter springs on the underside of the original mounting holes.

Any helpful tips?

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I was going to put machine screws and nuts on the 4 mounting holes on the ring. That would be just for looks.

That is a great idea.

You can drill out the barrels on bottom corners of ring so that the nut will be flush on bottom to allow ring to lay flat on guard. But those barrels are very close to the edge and may not allow room for the nut. Maybe do a dry fit first.

Another option is to cut the screws down to length of thickness of ring and epoxy them inside the barrels of the four holes in corners.

IMG_2131.JPG
IMG_2122.JPG

On the springs you can leave them full length or cut them down.
Longer springs do make it tricky to get the screws started but make for a tighter fit.
Maybe too tight and it lifts the corners.
This is the first one I did, so while I have it off this evening to install covers that just arrived, I will replace the springs with shorter ones.

IMG_2118.JPG

The rings are going to cause the pickups to sit at an angle in relation to the guard, but be parallel to the strings. When the pickup passes through the cutout on the guard the two areas with arrows might bind as you adjust the height. Sanding the back edge of the cutout on the guard will eliminate this problem.

Untitled.jpg

Here's some photos of one installed.
I cut the springs down on this one and it seems to help the corners.
Need to put screws in the corner holes.
The photos make me realize how unfinished it looks.

IMG_2117.JPG IMG_2116.JPG IMG_2112.JPG

Last edited:

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks!

I was thinking of putting the machine screws through the pickguard, holding the ring to it. I have large routing so I don't think I could screw directly into the wood.

I would even glue some decorative heads in the holes if I could find something suitable.

I didn't get the rings in tonight, it looks like they will be delivered tomorrow.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Good deal on large routing and being able to secure the corners of rings to guard with machine screws. It will look great and make it more structurally sound.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
On the Flying V's that I had in the past both pickups got rings. I like how you did one white one black to go with checkerboard.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Got the hubcaps installed on the second Special today.
Earlier I mentioned you don't need the screws on the four corners of rings.
Since it looks unfinished without them, it was decided to pilot the holes and install the provided wood screws to make it legit.

IMG_2149.JPG IMG_2163.JPG

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
Looks nice. Was there wood under the pickguard or are the screws just into the pickguard?

I got mine apart and put the spring through the pickguard and ring.

I think that is still holding the bridge pickup level instead of angled, and I do need the relieve the backside.

I don't have any screws for the rings, I have to pick some up tomorrow.

I need to get new pickguard screws too, the previous owner put some crappy "ikea aged" screws on it.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Looks nice. Was there wood under the pickguard or are the screws just into the pickguard?

Thanks.

Three of the screws are into wood.
Fourth one plastic only, but is still solid.

The wood screws for the bridge that arrived with the OEM rings are #2 x 3/4"
If you choose to install ring on the neck the wood screws will be shorter.

IMG_2170.JPG
IMG_2143.JPG

I got mine apart and put the spring through the pickguard and ring.

I think that is still holding the bridge pickup level instead of angled, and I do need the relieve the backside.

Is the ring for the bridge they sent you wedge-shaped like top one below?

SideProfile.jpg

Last edited:

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
The rings are the flat bottom wedge shaped.

I don't have any wood under the ring mount holes so I'll have to find the right size machine screws.

Once they are mounted to the pickguard, I'll cut away the pickguard mounting holes so the pickups will mount to the ring only.

syscokid

Reaction score
Any thoughts, or facts, on whether it makes any difference in how an electric guitar responds with its pickups whether they are directly screwed into the wood like some P90s, or secured with pickup rings to body, or suspended off the pickguard like Batwing SG'S or Strats?

Raiyn

Reaction score
Any thoughts, or facts, on whether it makes any difference in how an electric guitar responds with its pickups whether they are directly screwed into the wood like some P90s, or secured with pickup rings to body, or suspended off the pickguard like Batwing SG'S or Strats?
< Sniffs the air....
winter-is-coming-brace-yourselves-a-tone-wood-argument-is-coming.jpg

:io:

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
I angled the pickguards pickup holes in the pickguard and relieved the back edge of the opening.

This allowed me to slide the ring closer to the neck and the pickup matched the angle of the ring.

I used some screws into the pickguard plastic to hold it in place.

I'll take my time to find the machine screws.

I didn't have enough screws to put them in the neck ring.

AngelDeVille

Reaction score

The simplified answer is...

It does two things....

Jack and Sh!t.....

cerebral gasket

Reaction score

Probably none.
Once plugged in and playing with high gain, I don't think my ears would be able to tell the difference.

Last edited:

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I angled the pickguards pickup holes in the pickguard and relieved the back edge of the opening.

This allowed me to slide the ring closer to the neck and the pickup matched the angle of the ring.

Good call.
The holes on rings and holes on guard were probably not lining up once the pickup was forced at an angle through the guard opening. Angling the guard holes or making them slotted helps. The rings will hide those holes.

Last edited: