Intermediate in help with improving my soloing

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by fcjc, Sep 3, 2005.

1. fcjc

fcjc Member

What can u guys advise me on how to improve my soloing.

2. guitarguy43

guitarguy43 Member

one word:

PENTATONIC!

use the pentatonic scale, no, memorize the scale and just mess around with simple notes in the scale until you hear some stuff you like, and just keep improving and practice, practice, practice and you'll be in great shape.

3. paradox

paradox Active Member

grab one of the many books out there with play along CD's - it helps to have some good backing tracks.. then put your own spin on it and practice, practice, practice!!!!

4. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

2 ways ive found that always make my playing sound better to me....

1)....put the amp on 4 and put on headphones (on 10...from the cd player) and just play what looks good....

2)....i find the more i drink the better i sound....might just be me tho-....

5. bmwlover0725

bmwlover0725 Member

lol! I didn't think we'd hear that from someone with that many posts... guess no matter how many, it doesn't judge your ability to play

6. E.Buzz

E.Buzz Member

I could teach you what to play, but nobody can teach you how to play. That you must learn for yourself. Some are more musically inclined than others...I learned in nine months what takes most guitarists many years to figure out. It has more to do with you and less to do with what you know, if you get my drift.

My ADVICE is to plug your SG into your amp, and start playing, and as the feeling takes over you should start to sound better...
    Also try to hear in colors. That probably don't make no sense, but my SG and my Fender sound red to me, while the mustang and the amp sound yellow. Wah always sounds green to me. Start listening and you shall see...

7. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

[quote author=bmwlover0725 link=topic=3999.msg54621#msg54621 date=1126582751]
    lol!  I didn't think we'd hear that from someone with that many posts... guess no matter how many, it doesn't judge your ability to play
    [/quote]

:o :o :o :roll: :roll: :roll:

8. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Guest

;D Hey Skids?
    Does that mean that I will be able to Play once I have made 5000 Posts? My Goodness....I can hardly wait!

Pip Pip
    Lexie ;)

9. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

that was the plan lexie.....didn't work tho-.....

dang....if i'd only spent all that time practicing.......my life is such a waste.....

10. E.Buzz

E.Buzz Member

Hell, I play for five hours daily. That'll make you good, but you better be prepared to lose some friends... :-\ :-\ :o :( :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

you'll make better ones down the road buzz..... ;)

12. swlabr67

swlabr67 Member

become familiar with a scale.. such as a pentatonic.. start it off by playing it through slowly and building up speed.
    then move on to disections say like playing the first four notes then starting on the second note playing the next four notes that come and so on ascending and descending through the scale
    then its all about expanding your bag of tricks.
    listen to you favorite guitarists and imitate little licks they play and work on them until your a pro at them.. then just work it all together and you can go for miles.

13. Metalmom

Metalmom Member

Yep, swlabr67 is right.....learn your scale patterns and you'll be amazed at what you can do. Before you know it you'll be playing some killer riffs.

14. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG swlabr67! :) :) :)

15. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

welcome swlabr67!

16. swlabr67

swlabr67 Member

thats for the welcome dudes

17. fcjc

fcjc Member

yeah cuz i dont really want to learn from someone else i find it doing it myself is better. Plus i dont want to pay someone to tell me what to do.

anything other suggestion...

18. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

[quote author=Lex Lurid link=topic=3999.msg54740#msg54740 date=1126690573]
    ;D Hey Skids?
    Does that mean that I will be able to Play once I have made 5000 Posts? My Goodness....I can hardly wait!

Pip Pip
    Lexie ;)

[/quote]

Yup,,,and i can already play better than you because i have more posts than you Lexie !

19. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

[quote author=Metalmom link=topic=3999.msg58291#msg58291 date=1127873727]
    Yep, swlabr67 is right.....learn your scale patterns and you'll be amazed at what you can do. Before you know it you'll be playing some killer riffs.
    [/quote]

I can use a good teacher mom,,,wanna teach me ? ;)

20. Stareater

Stareater Active Member

There's no easy way to improve, and no way around practicing. Above all else, study the notes on the neck on each string. Knowing where the notes are is your roadmap to playing. The folks speaking about scales are 100% correct. Start by getting yourself a metronome (if you don't have one) and finding a good scale site on the web. Start with the pentatonic scales, as they're the easiest to play because of the intervals (no half-steps). Once you feel comfortable with those, move on to the C Major scale. Take the time to play them properly, with alternate picking, along to the metronome, as it will build your speed and picking skills faster than you can imagine. Learn all the major & minor root notes and all the patterns of each scale. This goes hand-in-hand with learning the notes on the neck, and will allow you to solo all over the neck instead of being stuck in one spot.

Once you get those down, it opens everything else up. But, you must take the time and make the effort. Of course, natural talent is a factor, but give yourself about a month of good, solid practice with those scales and you'll be amazed at how much you improve. As for practice time, 30 minutes each day is better than four hours on Monday, two hours on Wednesday, and five hours on Saturday. Stay consistent and practice every day. Hope this advice helps. O0