Iommi Pickup Comparisons

skelt101

Reaction score
Hello there,
I was wondering if anyone has experience comparing any of the pickups that Tony has used throughout his career. I'm in the early stages of putting together an Iommi-inspired guitar and am trying to get the specs sorted out. Specifically, from John Birch (Simplux, Hyperflux and Magnum), Jaydee (Hyperflux, Blade Magnum and Hooligan), Seymour Duncan (now offered as the Scott Ian El Diablo) and Gibson Signature. Of course, someone could just respond, "Listen to the albums." Unfortunately, this is not always a worthy substitute to real-world experience. Not necessarily looking for a "Which one is best" response, although you are welcome to share your opinion, but more of a compare and contrast. Thanks guys! :cheers:

milesdeem

Reaction score
I'm not the expert, but I do have past experience with the Gibson TI signature bridge model. Bought it for $179 in 2003...it was put into 3 different guitar's when I had it (epiphone SG goth bolt-neck model, dean Cadillac set-neck Korean-made, and a Hondo deluxe star). Made them all sound way better than what they left the factory with. The Hondo's body was a cheapo laminated type, but that thing would just kill w/ that p'up. It was a very noise free pickup, had a brutal sound distorted, and was dreamy when played clean, but it wasn't much different than some other's I had encountered (OEM or aftermarket). In other word's it wasn't all that special. I ended up selling that guitar with that pickup to a friend of mine. As far as I know he's still enjoying it. I have no experience with the other ones you are asking about. But since you are planning to build such a guitar, "what" that neck and bridge pickup are is just as important as the sound they make. As for me I'm just a "budget-conscious" metalhead that tries to be frugal with my low income :)
IMHO I can get similar Iommi-like tone using a variety of p'ups.....humbucker-sized P-90 can do it. Standard import DeArmotron humbucker pickups in some lower end DeArmond guitars can fill that bill also. I'm being totally serious because I do play and home record doom-metal, and I do love Tony's sound. That's just me...... I will not spend more than $100 for a p'up anymore

jeremy

Reaction score
Out of all of those i have only used the Gibson iommi pickups. They really nail the period from master of reality on in my opinion but really do sound good on the early stuff too. They have a lot of treble bite to them which is great for getting his sound. I know thats not exactly what you wanted but i cant really offer much more sorry.

skelt101

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses milesdeem and jeremy! Every opinion helps! :applause: Does anyone else have experience? People seem to either love or hate the Gibson Iommi signature pickup. I've heard it is very sensitive to height adjustments as well as pot values. (Some claim that 1 meg is the way to go...) The Seymour Duncan gets mixed reviews too. From what I've read, it sounds like it's a very high-output and sharp-sounding pickup. But what about those darn, hard-to-get English pickups from John Birch and Jaydee?

Krosis

Reaction score
Don't forget that he used DiMarzios in the early 80s IIRC around the time of the Heaven and Hell album.

Latest posts