Is An SG A Gorgeous Guitar?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by NMA, Jan 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    I can see from the saddle positions that the three high strings are not intonated - the saddles are hard against the back of the bridge, and are not showing the same diagonal line as the lower strings - they should have that diagonal. The bridge is mounted too far forwards. I believe you can get studs which have a kind of joggle where they emerge from the body. This allows the bridge to sit in a different position. In your case it needs to move back. An alternative solution would be a bridge with a wider range of travel for the saddles. Not sure what this would be but someone will know.

2. Richard

Richard Member

That's a damn nice Custom you have :-)

3. Richard

Richard Member

The high E is about 0.5mm from the back, but the B and G string have some travel left. I will check the high E string tonight. I have replaced the original nylon saddle recently because it has a crack. I just put the new one back were I think it was in the first place. I have not noticed any out of tuning.

4. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

That ain't mine. I only buy gorgeous guitars. Just look at the high gloss gleaming finish, look at the sparkling metal...gorgeous!

[​IMG]

By the way, here's my SG. Though extremely fine to look at, it does not meet the definition of gorgeous. It's like a vintage Stanley hammer. Does the job, not worried about how it looks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jurgen and Richard like this.
  5. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

****, I never heard about that recognize stuff. It sure sounds like some art gallery crap where some people "get it" and some don't. How absolutely moronic.
    (The Falcon looks like something you play if you sell women for a living btw. Less is more.)

Jurgen likes this.
  6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

SGs are gorgeous... yes, even the plain ones
    like mine. Gibson guitars have elegance about them
    even the inexpensive ones, like mine
    They are a design triumph, especially
    the ones that balance properly, like mine.

They have been in production since 1961, and guys keep
    buying them into 2020. They have always been known for
    their "rebellious" tone, and that's what rock an roll is all about.
    (besides careless love, fast cars and the highway to hell)
    Women love the SG because it is light and easy to play.

So is the SG the "mustang of the guitar world?"
    Mustwang@100.jpg
    This is a vintage Mustang... here in Tucson, they don't rust
    away like they did where I used to live.

Jezclayton and Jurgen like this.
  7. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

I don't know man.... in @PermissionToLand 's defense, I myself am a commercial artist. Making art is my bread and butter and I dont perform in anyone's band nor engineer sound, but to my eyes, ears, and hands I take in consideration at all the points you mentioned above to any guitar I own. Rickenbackers have never been on my radar aesthetically, they probably have a good sound hence many recordings from famous players using such guitars I do enjoy. Luckily for me the SG was attractive way before i picked up playing the thing and before i even new the name of it i discovered a pattern some of my fave guitarists all played that same guitar i had a visual fancy for. Fast forward years later and through reading and trials with alotta guitar models and brands the SG still remains on the top of greatest guitar ever made for me, and thankfully it DOES look gorgeous. Everything on it except where the strap holder is placed is perfect and compliments its look without over doing anything, not to mention the grain shown in its standard red finish and its light weight for a small guy like myself!

PermissionToLand and NMA like this.
  8. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

honestly I always felt the SG and 70's Corvette were twins. I'm a fan of both btw
    corvette.jpg sg.jpg corvette.jpg sg.jpg

PermissionToLand and e-man like this.
  9. Piper68Special

Piper68Special Active Member

I don't know Colonel, I like the Mustang but I think you were right a few posts back.
    Cuda Special.jpg
    ...and this one's still gorgeous to me after all these years! Bridge covers?! We don't need no stinking bridge covers!
    Rick-a-Cuda.jpg

PermissionToLand and NMA like this.
  10. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Q: Is an SG a gorgeous guitar?
    A: Yes, it is.
    /thread

11. Von Trapp

12. Dave The Great

Dave The Great New Member

SG's are hot looking guitars. Mine is called Stella....total bitch for a guitar, but the original song riffs flow out of that guitar like wine. Stella is my number one, no doubt about it.

Attached Files:

• 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      930.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      724.2 KB
      Views:
    papagayo likes this.
  13. Von Trapp

This thread is Monty Pythons' Life of SG.

14. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Red is Gorgeous ! Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale (1968)

Temp 4064.jpg

15. eyeofsetsg310

eyeofsetsg310 New Member

I like Rics too but a Gibson/Epiphone SG is far more gorgeous and far less expensive too. A copy of an SG that I have been getting into lately the newer Dean Gran Sport SG copy they make. I like the set neck versions they have there and thats the guitar I have been getting into lately but I might pull the trigger on the newer 2020 versions of the Epiphone SG Customs they just announced at NAMM this year or I might save up some money for either a Gibson SG Standard on markdown at Sweetwater, or a 2018 SG Faded at the local Samash in my general metro area or I might go with a Gibson '61 Standard with or without the sideways tremolo.

SatansGwitar and koaguilds like this.
  16. VSG

VSG Member

17. VSG

VSG Member

My 2017 SG Faded purchased in October of 2016 (?) at Guitar Center.

18. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Oh yes the Gran Sport. I wish I had the greenbacks to have scooped up one of his USA Korina versions...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Do you think it's clever to bring up something nobody mentioned and baselessly suggest that I don't know what it is as a cheap attack? You repeatedly insisted that design does not factor into aesthetic appeal. I never once said anything regarding a priori knowledge. It's pretty transparent that you only brought this up as a cheap "gotcha" and an attempt to sound smart.

That you assume design is formed from a priori knowledge ironically only further proves your lack of knowledge and willingness to speak out of ignorance. Design considerations are drawn from organic appeal (i.e. experience). Design is not a math. That much would seem to be obvious.

If you like the Rick, your eyes are absolutely drawn to the considerations of that product's designer.

And I never said that your eyes are not drawn to what you consider aesthetically appealing. My point was that your brain is taking design factors into consideration automatically, whether you know it or not. You are presenting these as two mutually exclusive ideas when they are not. You find it personally appealing because the designer had considerations that match yours.

That is literally what I've been trying to tell you this whole time. How many times do I have to beg you to actually read what I am saying and make a coherent point that doesn't contradict itself every other sentence?

I also find it rather ironic and hypocritical that you have started multiple threads now where you are denigrating the SG in particularly hyperbolic ways in a forum for SG fans, apparently just seeking to stir up arguments by playing devils advocate or even trolling, but when somebody says something critical of your beloved Rick, you become very defensive.

Let's leave the juvenile insults at home, okay? I've seen plenty of Rics, I just don't pay any attention to them for reasons that should be pretty obvious...

Something being old doesn't make it classic. Nor does it being distinctive and having a nickname. Calling it classic is also not an argument in defense of it.

No, because the Chrysler building actually follows sound design principles.

Gee, I didn't "know" that seeing as I drove a 1984 Mercury Cougar in New England some time back... there's that amusing hubris again.

You can have a long hood, short rear and perfect 50/50 weight distribution. Many cars do. You also made no mention of the drive wheels or tires, further proving your lack of knowledge on the subject you are talking about (or deliberate obtuseness if you indeed know better).

Mustangs are RWD, which can be more difficult to drive in snow, but not by any means "impossible". That is just laughable. As far as tires go, if you are talking about vintage Stangs, they came with terrible bias ply tires and if you're talking about modern ones, they typically come with performance tires, which are NOT intended for use in snow.

Oh look, an entire paragraph of baseless, juvenile insults. Yawn.

Come back when you've actually read and comprehended what I am saying so you aren't wasting your time with redundant strawmen.

Logan likes this.
  20. Sweet William

Sweet William Member

Beauty is truly in the eyes of the beholder, and I got two, one is 50 years old, the other is 12 :-)

Attached Files:

Jezclayton and papagayo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.