Is It A Fake?

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Didds, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Alrighty, so this is my first post here on these forums. (Skip the introduction to the third paragraph if you want to get to the point. Just feels weird showing up out of the blue with a question). I'm 14 and have been playing guitar since I was twelve. I have no intention to brag, but I would say that for my age, I have a fair amount of guitar knowledge. About an hour ago I signed up to this site because I think that I can get some good advice from some real "Gear Heads". Also, I don't know many people my age that I can talk about music and guitars with.

Why SGs? Well, Angus Young has always been my "guitar hero" if you like. So naturally an SG is gonna be my instrument of choice. I currently only really own the same guitar that I started on. A Katoh Spanish Guitar. I'm not going to talk sh** about it just because I have shame in not having some $3000 dollar (thats AUD btw) instrument. It was easy to learn on, it has zero flaws and it definitely plays better than the guitars at my school.

So I've been saving up for a new guitar recently and I've basically got my heart set on an SG. I had been looking around on the Gibson website for some eye candy. I stumbled upon the 2015 Standard. I looked through the finishes and found the Fireburst finish which I believe (correct me if I'm wrong because I probably am) was the only year where Gibson did that finish, let alone any burst for the SGs. I instantly fell in love with the finish since it was such a nice relief to the standard Cherry and Ebony. Now I know that the 2015 line is quite controversial because of all of the things they did to it. Me? If I were to buy one I'd probably replace the robot thingos. But I'd be quite happy with all the other features (apart from that Les Paul Holo which can't quite have anything done about it as far as I know). The zero fret nut is a pretty cool feature and I haven't really heard anything bad about it. I do have one concern with the neck though, but thats for another thread.

The reason I am writing this is as follows; I was looking around on Gumtree for this 2015 SG and after about a week of waiting for one to pop up, it did!

$_20.JPG
    $_20-2.JPG $_20-3.JPG

These are all the picture that the guy listed it for. Its a negotiable(Which I'm pretty sure means that he expects to have at least $100 drop off) $1850 AUD, which is about $150 off the RRP, though there is the "Negotiable" tag to account for. I'm currently at $1300 so I'll need to do a bit more saving if I were to buy this thing. But who wants think about guitars they can already afford?

Anyways, I don't want to somehow buy a fake Gibson as my first electric. So I really want to be safe with what I buy here. So could anybody tell me if there's something on this instrument that isn't right? From the limited photos this guy has provided (which raises a few questions) I can see that he's left the G-force things on it, I don't mind. I have noticed that the burst is slightly different to what I saw on the website, as in it has a red outer colour. It still looks damn beautiful and its probably just due to the fact that Gibson glorify the pictures.

Another suspicious thing is that he shows the pictures of the guitar in its case but the only picture of the case itself is a stock Gibson photo of it.
    $_20-4.JPG

Seems a bit odd to me but whatever.

Opinions? Suspicions? Advice? Too Long? Am I too paranoid? Please, I need some help to decide whether I should start looking at another axe and get this one out of the picture.
    Thanks for putting up with the probably unnecessary length of this post.

syscokid likes this.
  2. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

From the pictures you have posted it looks totally legit to me...though maybe a little on the high side price wise. But, I don't know what guitar prices are in your neck of the woods.

Close ups of the Headstock front and back would be helpful...

Biddlin and Didds like this.
  3. Sp8ctre

Oh...and pardon my manners...Welcome to ESG! There are a lot of knowledgeable and friendly people here. Hope you stick around and enjoy the place...

Didds likes this.
  4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

You've done your homework - as far as is possible. All I can say is that there is nothing wrong that shows up from this distance. How far from you is the guitar? I mean, could you go and have a look at it?

I don't know anything about Gumtree. Do they have seller ratings and a decent returns policy? Those are about the only things you can place much reliance on without far better pictures. If you can ask for more pictures, closeups of the neck joint, bridge, tuners and nut would be useful. Also one of the fret markers and the front of the headstock to better see the logo and inlays.

In the end how it plays for you is the clincher.

Didds likes this.
  5. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Thanks man. So far those are all the pictures he's posted. I'm going to ask him for a few more pics and maybe a serial number

6. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

The only places here in Australia that I could find still sell these guitars are in Adelaide. Oddly enough, so is this listing. I live in sydney so it would be a bit unjustifiable if I flew there just to check out a guitar (mind you I'd definitely like to). Its not impossible though

7. donepearce

Australia? OK, didn't know that. Welcome... But seriously, Sydney doesn't have any of these? I'm shocked.

In the meantime, have you seen this? Your country already has more than its fair share of great guitarists.

eS.G. and Didds like this.
  8. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

I agree. From the pics, it looks good. But the differences between a legit and fake Gibson can be subtle these days. It used to be easy, just look at the binding on the neck. It takes a really close look at the things already mentioned. China has gotten much better at making fakes. Just check out Tradetang.com and do a search (but I don't advise buying from there). I also agree, most important thing is how it plays. Good luck.

Oh, and welcome!

Didds likes this.
  9. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ESG!

I doubt it's a fake, I can't see why a faker would go to the trouble of replicating the unique features of a 2015 SG (hologram, Les Paul scrawl, brass nut, wide neck, G-Force), only to end up with a guitar that's harder to sell! FWIW, these are still available new in Europe, at heavy discounts: £869, which is almost 40% off the RRP. (About Aus$1450)

I'm not sure how the used market is in Australia, but here in Europe you'd expect about 30 to 40% off RRP for a 'regular' SG Standard in mint condition, so that price sounds very high to me. Especially as the 2015 model was not very popular in the first place. However, I'd say most of the issues were overstated, my experience of G-Force is that it works well, the wider neck takes little time to adjust to, and the brass nut can be replaced with a free titanium alternative. Hope you manage to get a good deal on it. :)

EDIT: I just noticed the pics show the protective plastic is still on the pick guard. I suspect they're either old shots from when he bought it (so why no current pics?), or he recently bought it at a big discount & is looking for a quick profit.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    PermissionToLand and Didds like this.
  10. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Thanks man

11. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

Yeah that never really crossed my mind. But that is a very good point. I think its safe to say this one is legit now, but I'm still looking for a bit of a better price now. The European prices sound dirt cheap but the shipping probably wouldn't be. Life down under is hard man

12. donepearce

You live in Sydney - let's all feel sorry for Didds! All that sun, and the beach - hard indeed! :cheers:

peejaybee, Didds and Sp8ctre like this.
  13. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

First of all, welcome to the forum!

I'm with the others. Nothing in those pictures suggests a fake. The price is a bit steep. Since you said it's negotiable, maybe he's just starting high, expecting to work down. So, don't be afraid to haggle. One thing you could try is to see how these guitars are selling on eBay or Reverb to get a sense of market price. Then offer something in that range.

Again, welcome!

14. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Howdy and welcome!

15. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Well-Known Member

I agree that that's a legit guitar.
    And a beautiful one as well. Offer him your $1300.
    The worst he can say is no.
    You never know, he may have padded his price a bit to leave negotiating room.
    It never hurts to ask...

And welcome to the zoo. You'll like the animals here.

16. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Welcome and nice SG

17. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

Greetings & Salutations Didds,
    You will be assimilated.
    Resistance is futile.

That looks like a pretty SG to me. Do you own any crayons? Some of the natives get restless around here and if you feed them an occasional crayon it helps keep them and their Ferengi ways at bay.

Sp8ctre likes this.
  18. Dave Johnson

Dave Johnson Well-Known Member

19. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout Willis!

Dave Johnson likes this.
  20. Sp8ctre

I have received crayons with some purchases...significance please???