Is it possible for pickups to get better the more you play them?

nbeersiii

Reaction score
Im either finally hearing something i like from the 490T in my special HH or the alnico5 magnet I installed is breaking in . Anybody know of a burn in phase like with speakers? I swear the pickup sounded flat but now its getting some soul it seems.

nbeersiii

Reaction score
I figured as much but I did wonder if it took the poles a while to gain the A5s full magnitism. I also noticed the pickup was offset from the strings a tad bit so I fixed that and readjusted the hieght and that may have done it. There is a diffrence for the better.

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
Your adjustments probably made the difference you heard. Magnets don't get stronger in use - if anything they will weaken, but so marginally that you couldn't possibly hear it. Adjustment is particularly critical for the neck pickup - to close and it affects the string's movement, too far and the tone gets thin.

Dave_Death

Reaction score
Your ears are adjusting, and/or you've adjusted the pickups. You might also be noticing the dulling of the strings.

tpa

Reaction score
You learn using pickups and adapt e.g. picking technique to get the best out of them.

nbeersiii

Reaction score
I know the mag doesnt get stronger i was wondering about the surrounding metal becoming more magnitized.

LeadFinger

Reaction score
I find that if I play one guitar for awhile I adjust my playing to that particular rig, and it sounds better. Maybe that's what you're experiencing?

Six String

Staff Member
Reaction score
Is it the same as when you start a show at 6 on the volume but it sounds louder then the 10 you're at in the 4th set......? :naughty:

Westernrider

Reaction score
And as the years roll by.........

Most assuredly. Your playing style does adjust. Your ears do become accustomed to the sound. At first, I hated my DMZ 36's and then I adjusted the friggin amp - sonic bliss resulted. Now we must look at another phenomena.
A pickup magnet will stay fully magnetized until something destabilizes it. And the destabilizing factor is your playing. Remember that the magnet extends a magnetic field. Your strings are in that field. As you play the guitar, the strings interrupt the field. This does two things. First, a electromotive force [ emf ] is induced into the surrounding coils.

Or simply, a small current in created and travels out of the guitar and to the amp. Now you have sound.

Playing guitar [changing the magnetic field of the pickup], to my ears does help "Improve" a good pickup. The molecules of the magnet are heated up. Slowly, very slowly, slower than a glacier, the magnet heats. As the magnet heats, it throws the magnetic domains [ think of them as dominos and some of them are being slightly shifted] that are lined up end to end slightly out of alignment. So there is a slight softening of the pickups sound.

So, yes, there is a chance that the sound of the pickup can smooth out with age and a great deal of use.

Latest posts