Is it possible to over polish an sg

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Kthor426, May 3, 2021.

1. Kthor426

Kthor426 New Member

Hi I just got a polisher and applied around 20 coats. I know it’s a lot but there was a deeper scuff. But is it possible to over polish the guitar? Just checking to see if I’m good. Also I’m not gonna apply 20 coats everytime. I’ll probably apply 4 coats each time and probably polish every year

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    There is no need to polish an SG. All it needs is normal furniture cleaner, which is mostly simple surfactant (plus some perfume to give it that "fresh" smell). I guess what you are talking about is some wax treatment to fill the scuffs. Well, maybe. But just smear some into the scuff and let it harden for several days before you buff it level. 20 coats sounds like you are dragging all the fresh wax out of the scuff every time you buff it.

3. Kthor426

Kthor426 New Member

I’m More asking for the future at the moment the spot I polished looks no different.

4. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The only problem is when you have to repair a polished finish.

5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Yes.

6. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Unless you just sprayed it, there's no reason ever to polish it (unless it's one of those faded or whatever they call it when they don't bother to put enough clearcoats on) All you need to do is wipe it down or use some guitar cleaner. So yeah, anytime you polish it, you over polish it.

laza616 likes this.