Is my guard bakelite?

Angry Tele

Reaction score
Im thinking about clear coating my guard with clear nitro so it will wear like a vintage guard. I took a warmouth guard and clear coated it and it looks just like my 52RI tele guard now, and it is wearing in the same (kind of a grey look under the scratches.
I also had to sand the edges to get rid of the sharpness, and reshaped the edges

Im thinking of doing the same with my Sg guard

here is my 52RI guard next to the one I modded

my sg guard

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I always like your photos...

I'll be interested in how your project comes out. It looks like an interesting idea, and the tele looks cool.

here's what I'm planning:

I bought a 4x8" piece of ebony headstock veneer from StewMac. $20.00.
I traced the stock pickguard and intend to cut it out with a small handsaw, a dremel tool and bevel the edges with a file. It will be a two piece, as shown.

the other two photos show my 70s Tribute SG special with a prototype p/g I made out of birch veneer. the ebony is much thicker, about the same as the stock plastic. So the birch looks fine and all, but the ebony will be much more substantial when it's done. The ebony sands to a nice gloss and takes tung oil finish easily. the cool thing about tung oil finish is it's easy to repair if I scratch it.

Attachments

Angry Tele

Reaction score
coolness

I always like your photos...

I'll be interested in how your project comes out. It looks like an interesting idea, and the tele looks cool.

here's what I'm planning:

I bought a 4x8" piece of ebony headstock veneer from StewMac. $20.00.
I traced the stock pickguard and intend to cut it out with a small handsaw, a dremel tool and bevel the edges with a file. It will be a two piece, as shown.

the other two photos show my 70s Tribute SG special with a prototype p/g I made out of birch veneer. the ebony is much thicker, about the same as the stock plastic. So the birch looks fine and all, but the ebony will be much more substantial when it's done. The ebony sands to a nice gloss and takes tung oil finish easily. the cool thing about tung oil finish is it's easy to repair if I scratch it.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
yeah and I like those sanded edges on your pickguard. it's a subtle detail, from a distance one might never see it, but it adds to the look of the guitar nicely.

Angry Tele

Reaction score
yeah and I like those sanded edges on your pickguard. it's a subtle detail, from a distance one might never see it, but it adds to the look of the guitar nicely.

huge difference to when i got it, it had a perfect 90 degrees angle...didnt look anything like a real guard. :fingersx:

Latest posts