Is the neck on the 2017 Standard T bigger than the 2013 Standard?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Humbucker, May 4, 2017.

1. Humbucker

Humbucker Member

I tried out a used 2013 SG Standard the other day, it had the small angel wing pickguard, '57 Classic pups and the hang-tag said "slim 60s neck profile".

I was used to the big 50s round necks like what was on my 2007 SG Standard and 1996 LesPaul Standard. I could probably get used to this 60s slim-tapered neck but I was wondering about the neck profile of the new 2017 Standard T. They describe it as a slim-taper but I was told by one of the store's salesmen that the neck is actually a bit beefier than what is usually described as a 60s slim-taper, if so that would be an extra bonus point for me.

They didn't have any 2017s in stock at the moment so I couldn't do a side by side comparison, so I wasn't sure if his info was correct or not.

So until they get more 2017s in stock I thought that I would ask here.

2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

You'll find some variation between instruments, regardless of how the profile is described. Because of this it's always better to try before you buy.

Might be worth looking out for a 2016 Standard, as they had the 'rounded' profile which might be closer to what you like. As long as you're happy with the batwing pickguard & 490/498 pickups they used in '16.

3. Markm

Markm Active Member

the 2017s are definitely a thin profile. I have 2.

I had a 2013 and from what I can remember of it they are very close / if not exactly the same

4. gball

gball Well-Known Member

^^ This. Exactly.

Except that I only have one '17 Standard. It is definitely a thin Slim Taper, and while I generally prefer the larger rounded carves, it plays wonderfully. Fastest neck I have on any guitar.

Markm likes this.
  5. SG_Island

SG_Island Well-Known Member

I've got a 2013 Standard, and I would describe this one's neck as definitely a 60's slim taper - and maybe a "tad" wide and flat. Personally, I love the neck on this one, but I wouldn't call it a fat neck by any means..

Haven't played a 2017 Standard T yet.

[​IMG]

6. heffus

heffus Member

Is there a particular year that has a nice fat neck with humbuckers and no batwing guard? Something like the neck on my SG Classic would be nice. I got rid of my Derek Trucks SG because of the skinny wobbly D shaped neck.

7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

2013 SGJ

8. heffus

heffus Member

Thanks, but I actually meant a standard with the smaller pickguard, no batwing. I'll keep the SGJ in mind though.

9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I have yet to encounter a Standard with small guard and fat neck.
    When I see small guards on Standards, I always think ’61 RI with Slim Taper.

I prefer the SG Rounded profile.
    They tend to be fat with more shoulder.

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  10. lunchbox

lunchbox Active Member

Yep. All the small pickguard SG's I've ever tried had the slim 60's necks. I've never tried one with a fat neck.

My 2016 Standard has the fat rounded profile that I love, but a batwing (which I prefer).

11. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

The only small pickguard standards ive played with fat necks were from 83' and 84' with the cherry sunburst and vintage burst. Those were the days.

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  12. Tonerider

Tonerider Active Member

That' s right .

13. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Member

I've never seen an SG with a small pickguard and a fat neck. If I ever do, I'll probably buy it on the spot. I suspect I'll have to go through the Custom Shop for that sort of thing though.

14. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Look for an 83' or 84' with the cherry sunburst or vintage burst. They are few and far between but they have the fat neck and small guard.

15. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Maybe. But they don't have the contours and the neck pickup is going to be in a different position, so it won't sound the same as a standard sg from today