Is The SG Merely Just A Les Paul Substitute?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by NMA, Oct 13, 2020.

1. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Just saw a youtube video about the SG. The guy who made it knows his stuff...I'm not going to knock him. But he does say something that folks here might gasp over. The guy said that for many a guitar player, the SG is really a "steeping stone" guitar for guitarists on their way to getting a Les Paul. Or, SGs are simply Gibsons bought for those who can't get (afford) what they really want - a Les Paul.

I can understand both perspectives. You get an SG, love it and say to yourself, "I like this SG and now I'm going to move up the Gibson ladder and buy a Les Paul." SGs are far cheaper than Les Pauls so the stepping stone theory or the "I can't afford a Les Paul" theory does make sense.

Now I ask you folks, and please be honest: is any of that true for you? Did you buy an SG because they were far cheaper than a Les Paul? Did you buy an SG and use it as a temporary stepping stone on your way to a Les Paul?

Or did you buy an SG because you wanted an SG and not a Les Paul?

Eisel-Elder, Kozmyk and Rusty Chops like this.
  2. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

not a stepping stone to anything but more Sg's.

cpower, Arthwys, Joncaster and 13 others like this.
  3. losador

losador Member

I bought an SG because I fell in love with it when I played it in the store. Truth be told I had very little clue about guitars back then.. but I never really fancied a Les Paul tbh - though they are great guitars and so many great players have played them. I have nothing against them but they never happened to float my boat, but that's just me!

I can't generally agree with what you're saying though, as it suggests there is some 'holy grail' of guitars to aspire to. Maybe there is a holy grail, but that holy grail would be personal and different for each player!

Lastly I would add though that of course if someone did want a particular guitar that was out of their budget then of course it makes sense to get something of a stepping stone - I don't think most players first guitars ended up being their absolute faves. Or do they..?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  4. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

SG's are different then Pauls, so that "stepping stone" comment is just pure bullsh!t from someone who is very bias in his belief.
    My first teacher had a 66 or so SG. He also had a Gretsch White Falcon from the 60's and a Paul Custom from the 70's. My love for the Custom, came not from him, but from Robert Fripp. The Falcon? Loved it to death, but because of Chet. The SG, from my teacher. When it came to Paul's 7 of the 9 I owned were Customs. The 2 exceptions was a Voodoo, and the Studio Faded I currently own. Calling it a "stepping stone" is an insult to the guitar.
    I proudly own a 72 SG Standard. Why? Simple: it outplayed my last Custom. The SG is a guitar built for those who want an SG. It's NOT the poor man's Paul like the person was getting at. That may be his view, but for most SG players.... it's bullsh!t.

5. DanB

DanB Active Member

Always loved my Gibson SG for itself, never saw it as a stepping stone to a Les Paul nor have I ever bought a Les Paul in 24 years of playing. I now also own a Fender Stratocaster and a Gretsch Streamliner along with my 1979 SG and really don't think much about buying a Les Paul at this point unless I could find a used Les Paul Junior for a couple hundred bucks or less. I am quite happy with the sounds I get from my SG's humbuckers.

6. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

3 SG's.jpg No stepping stone here except that I still don't have my original 1979 Les Paul back after stupidly selling it far too cheap back in 1991.

However, I got my first one when I was the high bidder on ebay on it after just missing a BFG LP I was not the high bidder on. Like was said previously, it led to 3 more SG's

7. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

That's like having a discussion about hammers with a carpenter.

Pointless.

I've had a few SG over the years.
    They were stepping stones.
    Until I found the ones that I like.
    The SG Classics are keepers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

i started with a cheap epi LP-100...then i got a G-400...then a gibson SG...
    a few other LPs have come and gone...epi LP custom...gibby LP standard...samick artist series LP...
    but the SGs kept growing...

in short, a SG is just a stepping stone to another SG :p

10. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Literally all this guy does is make threads about why the SG sucks. Check his history. How he hasn't been banned is beyond me, but I've blocked him and encourage everyone else to.

11. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

No doubt about that!! ;)

12. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

This is the bit of your argument that make absolutely no sense whatsoever. First, if someone wanted a Les Paul Standard but couldn't afford it, surely they'd buy a Les Paul Junior/Special in preference to an SG Standard - which costs more and is much less like their desired instrument?

But wait - that argument sucks for a second reason. Gibson's cheapest current non-junior/special models, i.e. guitars that really look like the 'desired' Les Paul v. the 'make do' SG:

Les Paul Tribute - $1,199

SG Tribute - $1,099

Literally no one who wants a Les Paul is going to save up $1,099 and then grab a guitar they don't want rather than save another $100.

@PermissionToLand is right - another click bait title from eSG's resident SG hater.

13. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

No, not at all. SGs are an improvement on Les Pauls. Theres a reason why they were essentially the "LP 2.0". As far as playability, weight and even just looks the SG puts a Les Paul to shame in my opinion. Not that LPs are bad guitars, there are some very soulful tones that are unique to it, but I'll take an SG over a Les Paul any day

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Rusty Chops and arcticsg like this.
  14. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I was going to chime in but it looks like everything I was going to say has been covered. OP- more time playing, less time on YouTube.

Didds, Rusty Chops and arcticsg like this.
  15. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Never been a stepping stone for me.

I like both.
    I wanted both.
    I got both.
    I'll be getting more of both.

Retrop, entropydave, Didds and 4 others like this.
  16. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

exactly!

Rusty Chops likes this.
  17. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

My SG always seems to be a stepping stone to a cup of tea. I inevitably make one after I've been playing for a while. Yesterday evening it was definitely a stepping stone to Shepherds Pie.

18. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

I owned a Les Paul before an SG, so... :rolleyes:

gball, Retrop, entropydave and 5 others like this.
  19. football27

football27 Member

I own both guitars in question. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other...……….

Rusty Chops likes this.
  20. Dangerhouse77

Dangerhouse77 New Member

Nope. I actually owned a Les Paul Junior first then got a SG Junior. I prefer the SG for many reasons. Maybe I’m going down the stepping stones backwards

Rusty Chops and arcticsg like this.