Is The SG Merely Just A Les Paul Substitute?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by NMA, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

One upmanship and bullying in a guitar forum...not impressed by this thread anymore although a few good points made.

Justin and crashbelt like this.
  2. losador

losador Member

Yeah, you're right. It's pointless and boring for everyone - apologies for my part in it.

3. Hudman

Hudman Member

I bought my 2020 SG Standard ‘61 in June. I was strictly a 25.5” scale Strat and super Strat player since the mid 1980’s. I kept reading good things about Gibson's new commitment to quality control and decided to roll the dice and try something different. I chose the SG because the idea of a light weight, dual humbucker equipped guitar appealed to me. I bought it online without ever playing one. It was the best gamble I ever took on a new guitar. I fell in love instantly. The build quality, 1960’s slim taper neck profile and ‘61 Burstbucker pickups blew me away. It made me a Gibson fan. I bought a 2019 Gibson Les Paul Standard 1960’s a couple weeks later. I love both guitars and couldn’t pick a favorite between them.

Demon Dave and losador like this.
  4. budg

budg New Member

If you look at the OPs collection, too many holes unfilled. No semi hollow and no tele for starters. The 12 string ric and the white falcon fills such a small niche in the tonal palette, while the semi hollow and tele fill a huge gap. So many blues legends played some version of a semi hollow guitar and tele tele everywhere . Both iconic while the Ric and Gretsch not as much.

Justin likes this.
  5. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

I like my Les Paul Gold Top and my Junior top but I prefer my Gibson SGs .

[​IMG]

budg, Chuteboxehero and Justin like this.
  6. Justin

Justin Member

Very true. He keeps dismissing Telecasters, but they sound and play very differently from a strat. He’s saying his guitars cover all bases, but without a jangly six string (like a tele, or a Rick, or a short scale Fender), there’s not a lot of post punk or alternative.

And his Falcon is gorgeous, but as you said, it is a nice. A semi hollow six string would probably be more representative of a whole bunch of tones and playing styles.

budg likes this.
  7. Justin

Justin Member

I am drooling right now. I cannot decide which one is prettiest!!

papagayo likes this.
  8. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

I know Justin , same for me .

budg and Justin like this.
  9. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

You know what was a very popular guitar for post-punk, punk, alternative bands? A Gretsch.

The Cult, Orange Juice, Bow Wow Wow, The Bodines, Adam And The Ants, Altered Images, X, The Cramps, Spear Of Destiny, Theater Of Hate, Stone Roses, The Clash, New York Dolls, Stray Cats, The Jesus And Mary Chain,...heck even synth band Depeche Mode used a Gretsch for their guitar lines.

Just watch any youtube videos of bands back then...it is astonishing how many used Gretsches. (There was a reason for that: Gretsch guitars in late '70s early '80s were not the rage and therefore were the cheapest guitars out there at that time, especially in the UK.)

10. budg

budg New Member

Exactly. That doesnt even take in to consideration the Gibson variants... 3..5s vs SG vs LPs . Such a different distinctive tone each and iconic guitars everyone of them . The amount of recorded musical history recorded with those is astounding . Same with the strat and tele. Gretsches and Rics less so , but you do have to count in the Beatles . Then there is the acoustic gap as well.

Justin likes this.
  11. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Rickenbackers are semi-hollow. My 360/12 is a semi-hollow. (And 12 string Rickenbackers can be played as six strings. You simply don't put the other strings on.)

And as stated before, I do have a Telecaster. But being that the Strat can do Strat tones and Tele tones, the Strat is more essential than a Tele. No way in hell can you get the "Sweet Home Alabama" lick on a Tele, but any Tele lick can be done pretty darn closely on a Strat.

12. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

SG and Les Paul tones are so similar as to be almost exact. Off the top of your head can you tell me if this fantastic opening lick in the video below is an SG or a Les Paul? Point is if you have an SG, you don't need a Les Paul. One of them is essential, owning both would be unnecessary.

13. budg

budg New Member

No way you get BB King tones or Freddie King “have you ever loved a woman “ with a ric.

As far as the different double hum tones, use enough gain and you can’t tell the difference between a 335 and LP or SG, heck , it’s tough to tell the difference between the tele or LP (ala Jimmy Page). Clean is a whole other matter. Very distinguishable tones.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Justin and SG standard like this.
  14. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

But then I wouldn't use my Ric get those tones. I would get them off my Gretsch. Ever hear what a Grestch sounds like with flatwound strings on it? It sounds like BB King or Freddie King.

Man, you really are pigeonholing guitars. I suppose you think an SG only does Angus tones. Believe me, a Gretsch hollow body can do a ton of tones. Haven't you ever heard the band The Cult? They use a big hollow body Gretsch and, man, they sure don't sound like Chet Atkins or Duane Eddy. My four essential guitars are essential because they can do everything. Guitars can do that. It is wrong to pigeon-hole any guitar. Click on of The Stones video below. Yup, at 0:07 and elsewhere, the song's wild guitar lick is a Rickenbacker 12 string (played with a slide).

Rickenbacker 12 string all over this song. Who'd a thunk it? Guitars can do many things, folks. Stop pigeon-holing them.

15. Justin

Justin Member

Most of those never relied on Gretsches. The Clash, for example: Joe Strummer was known for playing his Telecaster. Mick Jones primarily played a Les Paul Jr with P90s for the first couple albums and the last one he was on (Combat Rock), as well as the subsequent tours. He used a wide variety of guitars, however, for the London Calling album, mostly Les Pauls. Everyone thinks that’s a Gretsch he’s playing in the title track’s music video, but that’s actually a Gibson ES295:
    http://www.mixdownmag.com.au/gear-rundown-clashs-london-calling

Bonus: here’s a video of Mick Jones professing his love for the Tele, and how it’s the only guitar he’ll ever need:

Also, the sound of post-punk and early alternative was defined by cheap guitars, true, but that was mostly Teles, Jazzmasters, Jaguars, and the like—solid bodies and single coils. Bands like The Police, Devo, Oingo Boingo, Elvis Costello, Pete Ubu, The Outfield, Men at Work, Blondie, Duran Duran, The Go-Go’s, U2, Nirvana and R.E.M., just to list the ones off the top of my head, relied on these sounds, not on fragile hollow bodies.
    If you enjoy the sound you get out of your Gretsch, great.

But it doesn’t mean an SG is a Les Paul substitute.

16. Justin

Justin Member

Exactly! Those clean tones matter.

17. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Y'all have been going around and around with this junk for ten pages. Jeez...

Don't worry about what anyone thinks is "essential". Get the guitars you want, for whatever reason, and play 'em till the cows come home. Buy what you can, buy what you like and forget about what people think you're missing out on because they have their own opinion ( there's that word) about what's required or essential.

Who gives a flying **** about it.

Be you, do you, and enjoy life.

18. Justin

Justin Member

This. This whole thread is just one guy saying his gear is best, and other people trying to justify their axes. I’m out.

SG standard, Demon Dave and budg like this.
  19. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

Well, if you wanted both in 1961, you got a Les Paul that looked very similar to an LP. Just sayin'. :naughty:

20. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Active Member

Exactly... I love my gear, it fits my style it’s perfect for me, and say something about what I like. I ask no one to play my guitars, if they don’t like them, period.

Justin likes this.