Is The SG Merely Just A Les Paul Substitute?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by NMA, Oct 13, 2020.

1. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

“Is The SG Merely Just A Les Paul Substitute?”

I don’t think so. I have 17 SGs at the moment. I way prefer them over the Les Paul. They are a better guitar... IMHO, YMMV, etc. :naughty:

The only reason I have a couple Les Pauls laying around is just to have one. :D

Didds, Rusty Chops and NMA like this.
  2. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Interesting. I would say that, yes, there is a Holy Grail of guitars we all aspire to, and, yes, it would be very different for each player. But isn't that just a normal act of life? We aspire. We aspire to obtain different things.

Thing about Holy Grail guitars is that they can be better to dream about than actually obtain. My two guitar Holy Grails were John Lennon's Rickenbacker and Billy Duffy's White Falcon. Took years (decades) but finally got both. Of the 12 electric guitars that I own, my Holy Grails are the two I play least.

[​IMG]

First guitar being the favorite? Happened to me. My very first guitar was a Valentine's Day gift - a brand spanking new made in America Fender Stratocaster. The guitar is the greatest guitar on planet Earth. Everybody who plays it says so. Must be some super secret prototype Strat that accidentally made its way to a store. Or maybe Hendrix was reincarnated and he came back to Earth as my Strat. Incredible guitar:

[​IMG]

Rusty Chops and rotorhead like this.
  3. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

Um...Nope. I personally loathe Les Paul guitars, aesthetically and even more playing/comfort-wise, they do nothing for me. Being the owner of three Gibson SG's, nah the first one I bought with intentions of buying another SG, and then another SG. Les Paul's are foreign in my home except through his catalogue of music lol. I wonder how Iommi and Angus would feel about that assessment, are they too poor to afford Les Paul's to play on their albums?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    Didds likes this.
  4. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Well-Known Member

When I was in Junior High School I begged Gibson for a catalog (c1962).
    The Les Paul WAS what we know now as an “SG.”

A few years later a shipmate owed me for poker losses and gave me his small black bolt-neck UNIVOX solidbody (well, as solid as plywood gets) to settle the debt.

Later in a pawn shop I saw basically the same guitar but made by Gibson. It was a Les Paul!

Who knew they copied Univox?
    Ha ha.

I never new the legend until years later. By that time I was playing a Telecaster (and for many years thereafter).

When I finally decided I needed an ES-335 for versatility’s sake
    the stepping stone to that $ level was an SG or two.

Now I have two SG’s, and two LP’s (never have gigged either of my current LP’s, but did use an LP Lite for a while: very SG sounding).

NMA likes this.
  5. losador

losador Member

I personally don't have a 'holy grail' guitar myself.. I take the opposite view that each guitar is its own thing and you bond with it in a certain way, and you get certain things out of each one. Having said that I would be a liar of course if I said I never desired a guitar I saw, but I don't think there is some magical 'perfect' guitar for me out there.. But I am sure everyone is different on this!

I am a bit confused with your response here though - you have two 'holy grail' guitars but also have the greatest guitar on planet earth.. is that not your 'holy grail' then..? And why isn't it an SG? :)

Arthwys, Col Mustard and Rusty Chops like this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

7. hdvades

hdvades New Member

Not me either...I went from Les Paul's to SG's. Same layout specs wise and many pounds lighter. Wouldn't mind having another LP but my '16 SG Std T serves me well.
    I guess if you wanted a real LP and could only afford an SG it makes sense.

NMA likes this.
  8. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

When I was a kid trying to be grown up and wanting to look like I knew lots therefore boost my self-esteem I also boldly declared that guitar x was better than guitar y. Grew up. Love SGs and Les Pauls for what they are and for the superb sounds great players could pull from them. There is some truth in the OP's (blowhard) declaration...so for some players a cheap acoustic is a stepping stone up to a better one. An Epiphone can be seen, perhaps, as a stepping stone to a Gibosn. My MIM strats did not satisfy me..they were stepping stones to a Classic Vibe and a partscaster and likely soon, an American Pro. My SG rivals any guitar I've owned over 49 years of playing. Stepping away from my SG to a LP could be a step DOWN, based on my sampling of LPs lately...but that's lately...next one might be the one. My previous proline Country Gent was a stepping stone down to an Electromatic. Go figure. Oh, and I don't "loathe" anything come on.

Rusty Chops, losador and NMA like this.
  9. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Don't you feel there is a guitar that suits the sounds you like? Or a guitar that captures a look that pleases you greatly? These aren't Holy Grails, they are just guitars that make you happy both musically and aesthetically. Holy Grails are something completely different.

My Strat is thee best guitar I own. It does exactly what pleases my ears most. My SG is a fantastic guitar. It's just that it is not trebly and jangly, crystal sparkling shimmering like my Stratocaster is. Those are the tones I love.

As far as Holy Grails... Holy Grails are something we seek for whatever reason (could be family member had one, could be nostalgia, could be they look spectacular...). We long for Holy Grails. They are elusive. Hard to obtain. Go on a quest for. My Rickenbacker 325 and White Falcon were both exactly that. Holy Grail does not necessarily mean best. (Didn't you see the third INDIANA JONES movie? The Holy Grail was shown to be just a simple wooden cup.)

[​IMG]

Rusty Chops likes this.
  10. Matt748

Matt748 New Member

I’ve sold every Les Paul I’ve owned and tried to like.
    Always kept the SGs though. Must be something right about them.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  11. losador

losador Member

OK I kind of wish I never mentioned the term holy grail

Rusty Chops likes this.
  12. fos1

fos1 Active Member

No Way!!

I chose the SG because I REALLY like the SG. When a musician visits and looks at my meager collection, I say play this SG it just the best.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  13. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Well-Known Member

My Holy Grail was a guitar like Duane Eddy played.

Then, the Ventures.

I’ve had several iterations of each. Long gone now.

My present #1:
    9671CCB7-28F9-465F-B960-4A6BF36AF430.jpeg

14. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I could fully understand both.

I was recently watching a video of the Gretsch Duane Eddy signature model. Damn. Some guitar.

Arthwys and Rusty Chops like this.
  15. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Member

Years ago, I sold my Les paul standard, to get an 1986 SG ‘61 Reissue (sold too). Today I have both.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  16. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Member

It is definitely not a substitute, I love and play both.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  17. ezypikins

ezypikins Member

Last two guitars I bought were SG's Already had 5 LP's

Rusty Chops likes this.
  18. losador

losador Member

Question to OP - why did you buy your SG? Stepping stone to a Les Paul?

19. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I've owned several SGs and Les Pauls. I prefer SGs for several reasons.

1) They are generally lighter. I'm old. My shoulder hurts with heavy guitars.
    2) They have a slightly different sound. from a Les Paul I like the sound of mahogany slab guitars, SGs, Explorers, Vs, etc. The best Les Paul I've owned was a special with no maple cap.
    3) They look better to me.
    4) For me they are more comfortable to play. The geometry of the neck on the body suits me better.

If someone likes one style of guitar over another good for them. That doesn't make one style better than another. It is better for that person.

Rusty Chops and losador like this.
  20. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I believe in tone. I need guitars that can get every tone out there. I did not have a solid body humbucker guitar...so I bought the SG.

The SG fulfills my need for harder rock. As I said I prefer clean and bright tones (my favorite guitar from hard rock band Led Zep is the jangly parts in "The Song Remains The Same"), but I do see the need for a guitar that can growl. So I bought an SG.

Rusty Chops likes this.