Is The SG Merely Just A Les Paul Substitute?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by NMA, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Active Member

I think this might be the one:

FWIW, Chris Buck is a pretty mean guitarist and if you like blues-orientated guitar music, his outfit, Buck & Evans are worth checking out. :smile:

NMA likes this.
  2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Why? I own SGs, but I've never knowingly played an AC/DC song, riff or solo. You're obviously not interested in making sense, just stirring the pot.

I really don't think it's variety that interests you, just owning the clichés - the guitars you associate with famous bands. You're always talking about that here. Well, you can have variety without having buy guitars that famous guitarists have owned, just because they owned them. My second guitar was a Les paul Copy (the first an SG copy-ish), in 1978 I replaced it with this:

[​IMG]

Love it or hate it - it certainly wasn't a cliché guitar bought so I could look or sound like someone else.

I still like something 'different', and variety too. Three more favourites:
    [​IMG]
    And yes, a few famous guitarists played the Yamaha SG, but they aren't the reason I bought one.

And there's a clue in those photos as to why I'm not into Les Pauls: Not enough cut aways, (no matter who owns them) :)

SatansGwitar likes this.
  3. Jackson753

Jackson753 Member

I see them as different instruments.
    I like the SG. I do like the Les Paul but not really as much. I was really surprised at the price of the SG as I never saw it as a stepping stone to a LP or inferior at all. The production costs are lower as it is simpler to construct. I am glad that got passed down to the customer. They are to my mind excellent value. I find them very difficult to resist. A great guitar to my mind I also like the Telecaster.

NMA likes this.
  4. entropydave

entropydave Member

Whatever cred that youtube bloke had has gone IMO. What a dumb thing for him to say. I have had a LP for 30 odd years and when I bought the first of my SGs I realised what I'd been missing. I much prefer the SG - why I didn't get one earlier in my life escapes me. I'm an idiot I guess - I was being tribal I suppose.

5. J.H.

J.H. New Member

SG's can be a Les Paul substitute.

But I owned 7 Les Pauls before I ever bought an SG. I don't think that they're any kind of downgrade. Just different.

6. Retrop

Retrop Member

I owned 3 Les Pauls and 2 ESP Eclipses (Not LTD) before I purchased my first SG. Perhaps the problem that a lot of people have is they simply try to put everybody in the same box...

7. VSG

VSG Member

SG4.jpg
    NO WAY. In fact I prefer SGs over LPs. I have one each of both. I bought the SG first and the LP Tribute two years later. I seldom play the LP (and it looks pretty in honeyburst). But The SG feels better in my hands and plays better. I would sell the LP first and keep the SG. I most likely will hang on to the LP just to say I have one. It was the first one I bought since the early 1980's. I have owned Les Paul Customs and never any "lesser"(?) model. I like SGs for playing and LPs for looking. But to be completely up front my all time favorite guitar is a Tele.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    NMA likes this.
  8. Marky Forrest

Marky Forrest New Member

I had a Les Paul before I bought my SG. I bought my SG because I liked playing my friend's and had to have one. I rarely play my Les Paul Custom Black Beauty anymore. It's pretty to look at but I enjoy playing my SG Standard HP much, much more.

NMA likes this.
  9. fredlw

fredlw New Member

It's subjective there is no 'best'. I have better quality LPs and I never play them, even my bestbuy "special" SG gets more play. It doesn't mean SGs are better except for me.

10. Darryl Fisher

Darryl Fisher Member

Like they saw in the bicycle biz, "different spokes for different folks"...

11. Bbr6704

Bbr6704 New Member

Same here, exept I don't know if I'll get more of both. The fact is I bought my SG after my LP, so, was my LP a steeping stone to my SG??? (ell to be honest, I wanted a good second guitar, so I could pick anyone of them at a gig, having the other as a spare just in case...).

And I like the 2 of them.

I prefer the looks of a LP (If I had a goldtop, the craziest look for a LP Guitar IMO...), and dont like that much the "bottom" of the SG, but playability is better on the SG, the weight too, and both necks are great.

Tonewise, it's, IMO, related to the PU too, so hard to compare, as mine have différent pu, but they both sound great, and have great sustain!

So I guess my next guitar is gonna be a LP Junior DC : double cuttaway like the SG, round body like the LP, lightweight like the SG... (and as I barely never use the neck pickup) The best of both worlds?

rotorhead and Norton like this.
  12. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

damn, a Guild...
    i still remember back in the mid-90s when Guilds weren't hot cos Soundgarden hadn't exploded yet... someone offered to trade a 70s S100 with my epi LP-100...i didn't accept cos i had my eyes set on an SG...ya dumbass me...
    now everytime i see any Guild...my mind always goes back to that time...
    but a month after that i ended up with a '75 SG...and its still with me...

13. cwhittiker

cwhittiker New Member

That's true. I got my first SG, a Jr. then a year later an Epiphone SG Pro. Would like a Special for the neck P90 now.

14. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Member

Haven't posted here in months because... I no longer own an SG. That would be sort of hypocritical, but I still get the weekly emails and check in on the latest posts. I've owned five SG's over the years, the last being an SG Standard that I played for nearly ten. I finally pulled the string on a new LP last spring and soon realized I didn't need two guitars that were basically the same. Sold the SG to offset some of the cost of a Rickenbacker and have never looked back. IMHO, the LP edges the SG in sound, looks, and feel of the 60's neck. The SG does have it's advantages in weight, location of the p/u switch, and location of the output jack (for those of us that play a good bit sitting down). I realize I'm about to get blasted by saying this on an SG forum, but I can take it. If you're wondering if an SG is a LP substitute, then it probably is. If you're not, then it isn't.

Resized_IMG_20201020_083449.jpeg

Attached Files:

NMA likes this.
  15. Bruce22

Bruce22 New Member

After I retired I went and bought an unplayed 93' Black Les Paul Standard-a beautiful instrument. I ended up going back to my SG's as they were, for me personally, more comfortable to play. I put SD antiquities into my 80' SG and sounds fantastic-every wriggle of the neck and the guitar sings rivers of tone

16. Bruce22

Bruce22 New Member

17. Bruce22

Bruce22 New Member

Fantastic! I've got three-the brown one with mini's been stuck in Alaska for years-I used to live there-that thing cranks. The red Special a 2011 60's tribute-for the heck of it I put a pair of OX4's. The yellow an 80' with antiquities, the Bigsby a recent addition but removed it, it just hung there, ignored.

Attached Files:

18. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

It was Angus.

He is just working his way up the ladder to one day get himself the real prize - a Les Paul.

Von Trapp likes this.
  19. steampush

steampush New Member

Wah, the SG is te best solid Gibson ever build. I have got 2 of those bastards. One from 1962, one form 1968. Maybe some pics? Thanks guys for loving the SG's. Greetz, simon

20. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Yup, that's the guy.

Corporal Scratchy likes this.