Is The SG Merely Just A Les Paul Substitute?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by NMA, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Can't agree with this at all. Elvis used the guitar as a rhythm keeping piece in the recordings, stage wise, the guitar was a prop. Scotty was the guitar hero there, and still is a God among guitarist. There are numerous Scotty Moore licks out there, where's the Elvis ones at?
    Oh, and from Google....
    Was Elvis a good guitarist?
    The guitar is the instrument most associated with Elvis, and while he was a good player, he wasn't a virtuoso. But what may be more important than that was the whole appearance: Elvis, the King of Rock 'n' Roll, always looked even cooler with his guitar in hand. Dec 3, 2015

Justin likes this.
  2. Justin

Justin Member

This. Scotty Moore was a guitar god, and years ahead of his time in terms of rock n roll virtuosity.

NMA likes this.
  3. Justin

Justin Member

This guy gets it!!

4. crashbelt

crashbelt Member

5. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

1. None of THOSE guitars are 'essential' for anyone, that's just crap - I could give you four guitars that would cover everything they can, (and more), and cost far less, and pick them all from a single manufacturer! It's that easy to do...

But YOU wouldn't buy them, just because they don't have the 'right name' on the headstock, weren't played by your heroes, and don't cost enough for you to want them. Nothing to do with loving music, so don't hide behind that - it's about loving brand names, hero worship, and bragging rights.

2. Are you doing this on purpose? I didn't say George could get a 12 string sound from an SG back in the early 60s. What a dumb thing to suggest! My point was that if he'd owned a different brand 12 string, he would've got a 12 string sound from that instead of the Rickenbacker, and you'd be here today telling everyone THAT guitar was one of your 'essential 4 guitars' that everyone should own. Sad but true. This has NOTHING to do with guitars that cover different sounds - for a start, if that mattered to you you'd be talking amps, not guitars - it's just about brands, hero worship, and bragging rights.

Now, I really don't know what you get out of these trolling threads on ESG, but it's clearly a waste of time - you just keep coming back with the same old bullshit: Buy expensive, top of the range American brand name guitars like me. Yawn.

Justin and Chuteboxehero like this.
  6. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

1. Yup, Scotty Moore is a guitar God. One of my faves. I can't play like him, but I try and I can do some things he does. But Elvis also was a guitar hero. His rhythm playing on the Sun Sessions is basic cowboy chords, but he really moved with them. He wasn't playing country western style rhythms. He invented rock and roll rhythm guitar playing in those sessions. The guy who invented the whole idea of rocking and rolling on rhythm guitar...and you are not going to view him as a guitar hero?

2. So one has to be a virtuoso to be a guitar hero? Really? Kurt Cobain is a guitar hero to millions of this current generation. John Lennon is my guitar hero. Neither Kurt nor John were virtuosos on the guitar.

7. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Not the bragging rights (that seems to be more a hip hop thing), but, yeah, rock and roll has always been about brands and hero worship. Jimi played a Fender Strat (big name brand) in front of massive Marshall stacks (another big name brand) and posed and preened on stage so the audience could worship him (which they did). Brands and hero worship -- a part of rock and roll.

Just curious, have you ever played a Gretsch White Falcon? A Rickenbacker 12 string? The fact that you say it is easy to find other guitars that can do what they do proves to me that you have never played a White Falcon or a Rickenbacker 12 string. Believe me, nothing on Earth can duplicate the tones they produce.

8. Justin

Justin Member

A $300 Danelectro 12-string sounds better through a higher end amp than a $2000 Rickenbacker 12-string sounds through a shitty practice amp. There’s some great videos of this on YouTube, and I can personally attest to it.

Also, Kurt Cobain was one of your heroes, right? Guy was all about killing your heroes and against hero worship. He also played Mustangs, Jaguars and his Jagstang. All short scale instruments that are going to play and sound a lot different than that Strat you’ve picked out.

9. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Actually, John Lennon was a big hero of Cobain's. Cobain spoke about him in just about every interview.

As far as Cobain's choice of guitars....they are meaningless. All one needs to get that Nirvana sound is fifty bucks so you can buy one of these:

[​IMG]

10. Justin

Justin Member

Really? I can't find a single mention via Google of him being a John Lennon fan. Found one bit where he says he feels more analogous to a Ringo Starr, but no mention of him anywhere being a fan of John Lennon, musically or otherwise.

And agreed, any guitar is going to sound like a grunge ball of distortion through a pedal like that...which kind of negates your previous point. If you want to play anything with a ton of distortion, it doesn't really matter what you have--single coil or humbucker, American made or southeast Asian knockoff, you can get the tones you're looking for with the right EQ, the right amp, the right pedals, etc.

11. Piper68Special

Piper68Special Active Member

12. Justin

Justin Member

Exactly!

13. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Rickenbacker playing metal. That's pure heresy. The guy in that video should forever be banned from buying a Rickenbacker ever again. I will be sending this video to Rickenbacker CEO John Hall.

14. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Huh? Are you serious? It's all over Google. Maybe you didn't spell Kurt's name correctly. It's Kurt with a K not a C.

Just Google this and watch all that comes up:

kurt cobain fan of john lennon

15. Justin

Justin Member

Yeah, given that I spelled his name correctly in my post...and look at that, nothing on Google! He was not a Lennon fan

16. losador

losador Member

NMA, seriously could you contradict yourself any more on this thread, it's hilarious!

I think my personal fave is: "If you love all music then you must buy those four guitars." My favourite Kurt Cobain moment was that live version of Blew when he REALLY rocked that White Falcon! Thank god he loved music and therefore had those four guitars! Heh.. please keep 'em coming! At first I thought you genuinely wanted an answer to your question, then I thought actually, I've been trolled here, but now it's just pure gold!

SG standard and Justin like this.
  17. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I can't tell if you're joking based on some of the crazy stuff you post but I'd bet 90% of the distortion you hear post Bleach was either a DS1 or DS2 or a Rat. The Rat is still a very underrated pedal in my opinion. Bit of a one trick pony but it does a hell of a trick...

Justin likes this.
  18. Justin

Justin Member

I think he’s definitely trolling just for the laughs.

19. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it was the DS-1 that Cobain made extensive use of. That cheap little pedal is beloved by everybody who owns one. Most say it is the best dirt pedal ever made.

Being a Billy Duffy fan I bought the BOSS SD-1...the dirt pedal that Duffy used in the early Cult days. I then discovered the BOSS OS-2 pedal which is a combo of both the DS-1 and SD-1. I like that one. It is gritty dirt of the DS-1 which you can mix with crunchy overdrive of the SD-1.

This is my Cult set up. Same guitar, amp, and one pedal that Billy Duffy used. (I know a guy here gets mad when I post pics of my gear. But what am I to do? It is the gear I own.)

[​IMG]

Chuteboxehero likes this.
  20. Pageburst

Pageburst Member

I love Gibsons
    Les Pauls, SGs, ES 335/345/355s It’s all good

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did buy a vintage 1962 SG because it was less expensive than a 1960 Les Paul. But I owned my Les Pauls first.

Oh yeah, I like Marshalls too.