Is this a SG90 Double or...what else?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Mussolo, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Mussolo

Mussolo New Member

Hi guys,
    somebody here in Italy is selling this beautiful SG.
    sg3.JPG sg2.JPG sg1.JPG
    Now, to me it looks like a SG90 Double, since it has 24 frets, humbucker+single coil pickups, two pots with the in-between switch, split-diamond inlays and is from 1988.
    Serial number is 80328567
    BUT... it has no pickguard, it has a Nashville bridge (SG90 had either a floyd-like tremolo or a body-through configuration), and the black top + green back and neck colour is nowhere to be read about.
    Can anybody tell me which guitar is this? It is selling for 800€ (about 900$) which seems a fairly good price, but I fear it could be a fake!

2. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

what's going on at the headstock there?
    the TRC has been cut... so very likely headstock break and then refinished everywhere... wont be hard to put on a stop tail and hide the string thru holes then.

EDIT.
    i just realised what he's done.
    the space at the headstock there used to have a locking nut...since its a '88 it would have had the awful steinberger trem.
    so i was half right, there is no break...but its obviously been refinished and the floating trem changed to fixed.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  3. Mussolo

Mussolo New Member

Well, after explaining what happened to the owner, he accepted to sell it for 600€... I'll try it and see how it sounds/feels under the fingers.

4. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

considering what's been done i would have gone somewhere around usd500-550 instead...however much that is in euros... but i guess since stuff is more expensive in europe... so 600 euros isn't too bad.
    it'll feel more jackson than gibson... due to it having a slim taper neck and 25.5" scale.
    as for sound, can't say as those don't look like the original pickups.

5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

That's not a Nashville.
    It's an ABR-1 with the screws facing the tailpiece.