Is this real or another fake?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by the_guitar_collector, Dec 7, 2009.

1. the_guitar_collector

the_guitar_collector Member

2. Raging Taco

Raging Taco Member

Yep! it's real. They made specials with 3 knobs in the 80's, and into the very early 90's. Some people will probably flog me for saying this, but they are some of my favorite SG specials (oh man, especially the white!). I don't think I could bring myself to play a standard from that period though :p

I'm pretty sure this is where ESP got the idea for their Viper guitars. lol

3. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member

4. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

5. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

that is real but certainly not a mint example. I'd be most concerned about that neck pocket. Looked like it had separated or something funny going on there. If it was cracked and reglued, I'd say that could be a serious concern. The fret wear is also a concern to me. Looked like it is going to need a fret level at least.

Still, if it sells cheap, might be a good deal for someone who is willing to take a chance. One way to look at it is you are getting a gibson at epiphone prices. ;)

6. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

I have that same guitar; '91 Special with the 3 knobs (mine are top hats, not speed knobs). Mine is heavy and has been a great player, so much so that other, nicer, guitars have come and gone while my '91 has remained. Mine has a lot of fret wear and some cracking around the neck joint too, and probably needs those issues addressed. Mine is well used but not as beat up as that one.

Does anyone know what can be done when the neck joint is in that state?

7. oldrockfan

re cracking around that neck joint, it all depends on what is cracking. If it is just finish cracking, won't hurt a thing. You can try to touch it up or just leave it as is. However if the crack is the joint itself splitting or getting loose, will need to be fixed. Best way is to have a luthier reglue the joint. Not cheap but then it will be done right. What you DONT want to do is try to reglue it yourself with epoxy or superglue. I've seen several old gibsons over the years where someone attempted to stabilize a bad neck joint with epoxy or super glue. BOth are horrible ideas and just make it much harder for the luthier to clean things up and do it right with the proper glue.

8. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=20053.msg242673#msg242673 date=1260220011]
    re cracking around that neck joint, it all depends on what is cracking. If it is just finish cracking, won't hurt a thing. You can try to touch it up or just leave it as is. However if the crack is the joint itself splitting or getting loose, will need to be fixed. Best way is to have a luthier reglue the joint. Not cheap but then it will be done right. What you DONT want to do is try to reglue it yourself with epoxy or superglue. I've seen several old gibsons over the years where someone attempted to stabilize a bad neck joint with epoxy or super glue. BOth are horrible ideas and just make it much harder for the luthier to clean things up and do it right with the proper glue.
    [/quote]

Thanks ORF. I have reason to believe my neck joint is a bit wobbly. Would the joint need to be broken, then fixed? I have had some excellent work done before, where the repairs almost qualify as art. I guess I need to contact the guy.

9. oldrockfan

if the guitar neck was set with hide glue (alot of factories use it), it won't need to be broken at all. What they usually do is use heat and a thin tool that kinda looks like a butter knife to loosen the glue so the neck can be taken apart with no damage to the wood. Then all the tech would do is clean the neck pocket and neck joint up as needed and reglue using fresh hide glue.

Now if the neck has been repaired with some other form of adhesive such as the dreaded super glue or epoxy, then it will be more expensive and more hassle for a luthier to fix.

10. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

Anyone else notice the tuners are on the wrong sides? lol.

11. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=20053.msg242685#msg242685 date=1260234588]
    if the guitar neck was set with hide glue (alot of factories use it), it won't need to be broken at all. What they usually do is use heat and a thin tool that kinda looks like a butter knife to loosen the glue so the neck can be taken apart with no damage to the wood. Then all the tech would do is clean the neck pocket and neck joint up as needed and reglue using fresh hide glue.

Now if the neck has been repaired with some other form of adhesive such as the dreaded super glue or epoxy, then it will be more expensive and more hassle for a luthier to fix.
    [/quote]

Thanks again for the excellent info. O0

12. njpaulc

njpaulc Well-Known Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=20053.msg242701#msg242701 date=1260249651]
    [/quote]

Rotating your tuners.......

It's like rotating your tires, evens out the wear on the gears.

13. the_guitar_collector

the_guitar_collector Member

I decided not to bid.
    After spending a fair amount of time hanging around with a Luthier friend of mine, i have seen some nasty stuff come through his doors. I had to look at this from a dollar point of view. There is so much work that i think i would have to do before i could feel happy with it. Too many what if's. And i really don't want to spend that kind of money on something that needs so much work, not when i can walk into a store and offer cash and get a great deal with case and 12 months warranty. I thought really hard about this... Do i want it or don't i...
    In the end it just did not sit right for me so i will keep saving and the i can get the special i really want...
    Thank you to everybody for there insight and comments.
    For now i will stick to Epiphone SG's....
    Cheers

14. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

[quote author=the_guitar_collector link=topic=20053.msg242751#msg242751 date=1260360770]
    I decided not to bid.
    After spending a fair amount of time hanging around with a Luthier friend of mine, i have seen some nasty stuff come through his doors. I had to look at this from a dollar point of view. There is so much work that i think i would have to do before i could feel happy with it. Too many what if's. And i really don't want to spend that kind of money on something that needs so much work, not when i can walk into a store and offer cash and get a great deal with case and 12 months warranty. I thought really hard about this... Do i want it or don't i...
    In the end it just did not sit right for me so i will keep saving and the i can get the special i really want...
    Thank you to everybody for there insight and comments.
    For now i will stick to Epiphone SG's....
    Cheers
    [/quote]

I think you made the right decision. I would rather have a decent newer Epiphone than that beat to hell Gibson.

15. HWY2H377

HWY2H377 Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=20053.msg242701#msg242701 date=1260249651]
    [/quote]

LOL yes--that should qualify it for the mauled thread.