Isn't It Great To Have An SG Forum?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by NMA, Sep 23, 2020.

1. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I'm about to play my SG. It's one of many guitars I have. I enjoy all my guitars, but I want to talk about specific guitar forums.

Isn't it great that SG owners and lovers have a place to come to discuss their SG, to learn about the SG, to get tips on how to make their SG a better player....? We don't think about it, but this and other guitar-specific forums are a real incredible thing to have. Back in the day, what did we have? A couple of monthly guitar mags and you'd be lucky if there was a mention of an SG or a Ric 360 or a Gretsch 6120. Heck, if I want to know what finish is on my SG I could come here. If I want to know what strings are best for an SG, I could come here (and get thirty different answers). This forum is an incredible tool we SG owners have at our disposal. Though the SG is far from my favorite guitar, this place makes me appreciate it and makes me really happy that I own one.

My SG:

[​IMG]

And I mention my other guitars because, yes, they too have forums dedicated to them. It's fantastic to have a place to go if I need to sort things out with those guitars.

Zoot, Eisel-Elder, football27 and 6 others like this.
  2. DanB

DanB Active Member

Amen brother! I have been playing a Gibson SG since 1979, its so great to have this site and to be able to meet other SG players, compare notes, exchange ideas, get inspiration, and of course, show pics. BTW love your guitar!
    MySG.jpg

MYSG1.jpg

3. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

You know that "get inspiration" is a big one. Probably the biggest.

SGs really are perfectly self-contained little units. There really isn't much need for tinkering and changing things. I don't think I have ever come here asking for tech tips. But what you said, get inspiration, yeah, this place really does serve that up in spades.

I'm not a Gibson guy or an SG guy. My go to guitars are my bright, jangly trebly Fenders and Rickenbackers, so my SG has plenty of lonely nights. But this forum always inspires me to play it. It really does. I read your posts and say to myself, "Hey, I've got one of those guitars" and then I break it out and play it and enjoy it. This forum really helps us non-SG guys.

Daniel.S, Rusty Chops and DanB like this.
  4. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

NMA, do you own a 6120? I almost bought one but the nut was super skinny. I like my necks wide. Oh, wouldn't you know it, my most expensive SG has a super skinny nut but it gets wider up the neck. It is a 1976 SG Standard.

DanB, arcticsg and Rusty Chops like this.
  5. chilipeppermaniac

NMA, while some may never call an SG - jangly, I would highly suggest you try an SG Classic with P90 pickups/ or other SG models with P90's. It may make you think WOW at the differences between the P90 SG and your humbucker SG's

cerebral gasket, DanB and Rusty Chops like this.
  6. chilipeppermaniac

[​IMG]

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ my friend, is a beautiful SG!!!!!

StarRaider, NMA and Rusty Chops like this.
  7. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Well-Known Member

SG’s can be plenty bright.
    I’ve got one with the P-90 lookin’ pickups that are actually magnetic pole pieces instead of ferrous screws with the magnets behind them. VERY Fendery.

arcticsg likes this.
  8. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Member

I was reading this thread, but I had to have my Sg with me. I love this forum too

DanB and Rusty Chops like this.
  9. Rusty Chops

Yeah I had to play my ‘64 RI today, inspired by this thread.

chilipeppermaniac and DanB like this.
  10. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

Shout out to the moderators/administrators for keeping the forum going.

Rusty Chops and DanB like this.
  11. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

...and of course, to all the participants

DanB likes this.
  12. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

It's a shame the current owner of the forum decided to scrap years of reference material that had been accumulated on the original forum. That was one of the best things about the forum. There was so much information that had been gathered by all the members, then archived by Tom and the moderators.

SGBreadfan and papagayo like this.
  13. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Many vintage adds and model specifications were deleted.

14. Eisel-Elder

Eisel-Elder New Member

Amen. I fell into my first SG in college. I didn’t choose. A great deal found me. So in 2002 I got my 1998 Ferrari Red SG Special and fell in love. Now I have two standards, a 1961 RI, and my special.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  15. John Scott Major

John Scott Major New Member

I was discussing (with a guy the other day) classic and vintage Gibsons. Back "in the day" 1930s and 40's, if you wanted to explore new models, your only option was to go to a dealer. If you were lucky they MIGHT have a thumbnail size black and white sketch of what the guitar looked like. If you were REALLY lucky they could order you one. Gibson had deals with dealers where they could order in guitars and return them when they did not sell. If you follow vintage guitars, you know that some models were sent to literally a half dozen dealers until they sold. In addition, models introduced in the middle of the year were not even in the catalog. If you realize how our grandparents bought guitars--we are very very lucky, indeed!

For used guitars we are even luckier! Imagine living in Omaha (just randomly made up Omaha) or Des Moines and combing though classifieds in the Sunday paper every week and going to 2 local pawn shops twice per week in hopes of finding a guitar that Gibson may have only made 100 of, and you had never even seen!

Rusty Chops and SGBreadfan like this.
  16. VSG

VSG Member

I have a 2017 (bought in Oct. of 2016) Faded with THE MAPLE NECK...and that gives me some "jangle" for sure. SG8j.jpg

Demon Dave, papagayo and Rusty Chops like this.
  17. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

right on, Versatility...that's one of the best things about the SG IMHO...
    mine can get plenty jangly when I EQ it that way.
    And it gets smooth and rounded and jazzy sounding when I EQ it that way.
    Couple of tweaks with the EQ and it's pure rock an roll. Hard to beat.

Of course, an SG never sounds like a Fender, but why would anyone want it to? That's why we have
    this rich banquet of interesting tones spread before us... All the way from DanElectro to Heritage,
    and from G&L to Epiphone Les Paul tribute, and from Gretsch and Rick to Strats and SGs... wide range
    of tones, many ways to play any given song. That's rich... lucky us.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  18. 76Standard

76Standard New Member

Same here with my too thin 76 Std neck (9/16”). I’ve always had trouble playing chords near the nut and have been thinking about trading for a SG with wider neck. I do love the comfortable shape and manageable weight. Replacing the volume pot with a 1 Meg pot picked up the treble a bit and made it less dark.

Rusty Chops likes this.
  19. Rusty Chops

This one gets “Fendery.”
    Though the pickups look like P-90’s they’re made with magnetic pole pieces vs magnets behind ferrous pole pieces.
    7FB7433A-6BD2-446C-A55E-4DBBCCC78A90.jpeg
    2016 SG Special limited run.
    I love it for what it can do when I want that.
    Nice fat neck too.

20. Rusty Chops

Then there’s my #1
    2020 CS ‘64 RI bought at the summer NAMM show by Guitar Showcase, San Jose
    74D730FB-46D8-49E1-9E9E-F993FB61F838.jpeg 60B8F0F6-DBBB-49A1-8CD1-FD07256AEC11.jpeg
    The “AlNiCo 3 Custombuckers” seem to be just fine.
    I think I even prefer them now to Burstbuckers and ‘57 Classics, my previous faves.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Chuteboxehero likes this.