It’s got a tailpiece now

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Pierce Murphy, Oct 8, 2021.

1. Brooklyn Zeke

Brooklyn Zeke Member

Correct. I've long been aware of that.

2. ruster1

ruster1 Active Member

Correct me if i am wrong. but the SGM was just the SGJ with robotic tuners?..and these had maple necks? I always thought the SGJ was a great value few years ago as you could find them all over for under $ 500.. USD.. not any more.. lol.. I like the dark ones best.. and the mods you did look great.. how is the break angle over the bar to the saddles?.. I like a more shallow angle and slinkier string setup.. very cool!

3. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

Be careful with clip on tuners and nitrocellulose 7E31012E-00D9-401D-BFC3-194392CABD9F.jpeg

ruster1 likes this.
  4. MR D

MR D Active Member

EXCELLENT !
    COOLIO DUDE, I get there every so often, I'll SHOUT !!

5. Michael Hannigan

Michael Hannigan New Member

Wow! That looks really nice! Did that start as a Tribute? I love the downtension bar on the tailpiece studs. What an ingenious way to not leave that as open holes and (IMO) add a ton of tuning stability. I love that you added a little here and there and didn't butcher the thing. Excellent work!

6. Michael Hannigan

Obviously, this dude either didn't care or didn't notice. I mean, after the first few divots you'd think the guy would have said, "hey, I guess these tuners aren't meant to be clamped down extremely tight on the headstock for months at a time".

Probably one of those guys that thinks a clipped on tuner and a bunch of uncut string ends make him look like a professional or something. It's so phistocated.

7. Michael Hannigan

True. There is nothing as accurate as a rotary strobe tuner. Unfortunately, only one of those in your picture is a real strobe tuner. The rest are just as bad as every other tuner. In order for a strobe tuner to work, it must have a strobe and a spinning disk. You cannot re-create it digitally. A strobe tuner is 100% analog, which is why it works so well. Once you try to make it digital, you've lost the benefit, and demonstrated that you don't understand how strobe tuners work.

8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

9. MR D

MR D Active Member

No........"OBVIOUSLY" not even close, BWAH HA HA !!!.....BUT WTF ?

'Something' ??????

So tell us Mikey: How does a "PROFESSIONAL", like yourself, set-up his guitar?
    (Not that anyone cares).

10. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Mechanical strobe tuners are the least accurate of the breed. They rely on the rotational speed of a motor which may or may not be right. Obviously you can always check it against a real crystal-locked electronic tuner :) As for the gibberish about working so well because it is analogue, please. There are some of us here who actually understand these things and are not going to remain silent while you spread Luddite misinformation. So please, cut it out right now.

11. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Don’t feed the troll.
    It obviously doesn’t understand basic electronics and the difference between digital and analog.

donepearce likes this.
  12. MR D

MR D Active Member

YEAH, last time I opened my mouth about something not even as controversial as this, the ****-storm I got was actually a li'l less than I expected.....I did know it was coming.....

I was going to ask you about that one C.B. as you've got the CRED. BUT I did not....and right now its for another day.....

About STROBE TUNERS tho....IMO, STROBE Tuners are the BETTER/BEST tool for SET-UP's/INTONATION....and for my Hard Earned ? PETERSON STROBES are all that is necessary.

When INTONATING a Guitar that is OUT....STROBE TUNERS are highly accurate and that is really all that matters to me...It also certainly seems to me that Intonation, when using a plain Snark-like Clip-On, can be off by as much as 2 to 4 'CENTS' overall. I say this with years of experience using STROBE Tuners EXCLUSIVELY. Until I switched to STROBE Tuners I did not realize how FAR OUT I was at times....it really mattered in the 2nd Octave when an OPEN 'A' 'D' or 'E' Chord would RING SHARP...I used to think it was the NUT Slot Height, and sometimes it surely was...but, now, looking back ? The POS Non-STROBE TUNERs played a part in it as well. STROBE TUNERS have eliminated that problem and for a very long time now every GIBSON guitar I setup...... the 2nd Octave OPEN 'A' 'D' E' Chords RING DEAD-ON..... every frikkin' time.

While I'm usually not one to be a ****-starter........Let the **** storm commence.

13. donepearce

This is all so much pie in the sky. Do you know how far the pitch moves in the few seconds after you pluck the string? This is the open G on My Les Paul
    upload_2021-10-25_16-49-15.png

It wanders the better part of 5 cents. Now you can take your pick of where amongst that lot you consider to be the actual pitch of the note. But don't imagine for a moment you can "tune" a string within a couple of cents. The idea is pure fiction. An ordinary electronic tuner is not only intrinsically more accurate than any spinning disc, but it also gives you the most convenient display, particularly on stage. A quick glance at the green light on a Boss will do the job perfectly. I might show you how the tuning changes depending on exactly how you stand. I'll get my SG to do that one.

14. donepearce

Here's the D on my SG. Three plots. The first is leaning slightly back. The second is upright and the third is leaning slightly forwards. And I do mean slightly - probably much less than you would at a gig

upload_2021-10-25_17-0-59.png

upload_2021-10-25_17-0-6.png

upload_2021-10-25_17-2-11.png

So we have it. Depending on how you stand it changes between +5 and -10 cents. You're going to have to be pretty persuasive to convince me you are tuning your guitar within a couple of cents when it changes as soon as you move.

15. MR D

MR D Active Member

IDK if you are addreessing me, and it doesnt matter if you are. I do not even TRY to convince anyone of anything...and you will not be an exce[ption, no. Players are usually adults and they can make their minds up to as what works for them...and what doesn't.

I use STROBE TUNERS, exclusively....I use them because they do what I need them to do, and do it well. I do not give a **** if anyone else uses a STROBE (or not) or they use a pitch pipe, or Middle C on a Piano or they tune their intruments to the Butt Trumpet Farts of their Mother-In-Law....I just dont give a ****...and if it works for someone, GREAT. I know what works for me. I use Peterson (preferably) STROBE TUNERS and my Guitars are IN-TUNE and INTONATED just as good as anyone else's Guitar(s) and I know it and anyone that would be insane enough to pick one of my guitars up and play it would surely know it too....and in my reality, that is all I really give a **** about.

BTW, I did go to see the Master Luthier I mentioned a few weeks ago about the different 'FEEL' of the strings when Neck Relief is wide open (<.025") as opposed to as close to DEAD STRAIGHT as possible (=.003") and he mentioned a different 'FEEL' and I asked if would call it 'TENSION' and before he answered 'YES' he said it would be technically wrong to say the difference is 'TENSION' because a change in TENSION would produce a change in tuning.....This Man did not really have an adjective to accurately describe the MUSHINESS an open Neck Relief perpetuates.......You called it 'GEOMETRY' which is not an adjective but a mathematical theory/concept/science......I'd still like to hear someone, anyone, propose and adjective that accurately describes the phenomena that occurs to the strings when Neck Relief is Wide-Open (<.025"+++), that is correct and will not cause a bunch of scientists to jump on my ass for the use of an incorrect adjective next time I blurt that out. The strings have a different FEEL when Neck Relief is WIDE OPEN. I am certainly NOT the only player that knows this and We all know I am not making it up, u kno, as if it doesn't happen when neck relief is adjusted to be OPEN. I am Just trying to come up wth a correct way of stating what that 'FEEL' is (adjective).

16. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

My head hurts now.

17. donepearce

As long as you are happy, so are we. But to make us even happier, do you think you could ease up on the capitals? In the world of Internet chat, capitals mean shouting, and I'm sure that is not your intention.

Von Trapp likes this.
  18. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Sing the thread title during the chorus…

19. MR D

MR D Active Member

We ?

I was hoping for an adjective..or adverb(?), no one has come up with one......yet. I have only asked 3-4 people though. You're correct, I am not shoutig.

20. MR D

MR D Active Member

Thatssa good one, LMAO !!