It’s got a tailpiece now

MR D

Reaction score
What is it you want an adjective for? Or an adverb, although it isn't clear how one could substitute for the other.

Obviously I am not an English Major. BUT if its not 'TENSION', and it is actually not, then what the #@[email protected]% is it ?

I did ask a Master Luthier last week...The Man knew exactly what I was referring to, and anyone who has either raised a tailpiece high enough, or closed/opened the Neck relief enough, or done both at the same time, on a GIBSON Solid-Body Electric knows what I am referring to.

it is not a biggie, no...Nothing of the sort BUT when referring to what happens with what I just mentioned..... to know what to correctly call what is affected is something I actually want to know. That is all, but by no means is it a matter of importance. BUT To be seen as a person that doesn't know what they are talking about can have one's opine's dismissed out of hand, sometimes by people that may matter to the speaker etc etc....and ..to say "'TENSION' is affected." is actually, technically, in-correct....even though that is exactly what it 'FEELS' like.

The Master Luthier seemed annoyed at my persistence (again) and mumbled "'STIFFNESS' is lessened !"....Well, NO **** ?..Not exactly a satisfactory answer, IMO, so I just changed the subject. Seems he did not want to elaborate on what he said because I do not think he actually knew what to correctly call it, or did not give enough of a **** to search his brain for an answer. But I am sure the Man knew what I was referring to.

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
This is no clearer - and it is still a mess of capitalisation. Can you please explain, concisely, what you are after. No more stories about luthiers. At the moment you seem to be conflating multiple variables, like action, neck relief and break angle. Work out in your own head what you are really after and come back. I strongly suspect that it is going to boil down to your impression that there is an unspecified difference, but let's see.

MR D

Reaction score
My bad. I am almost sorry I brought this up, because in the realm of all things SG...it is of little import. Yes, there is a difference.

As simply as I can say it: What would you call the difference between the way the strings feel when Neck Relief is set at .025" or greater....... and when the Neck Relief is set @ .003" or as close to Dead-Straight as possible? Nothing else in the set-up is changed, and the Neck Relief is measured at 8TH Fret via Notched Straight-Edge and feeler gauges. The only change is the Neck Relief is being closed as the neck is being straigthened. The difference between the two settings is very noticeable. "TENSION", as was stated previously, is out..... because it is technically in-correct. (Note: it sure feels like tension !)

This difference is one, of two, reasons why I set my Gibsons Neck's up as close to dead-straight as possible without kinking the Binding.
I do aplogize if it seems I am wasting your time.

Last edited:

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
This thread is dragging on, so my explanation may have appeared in an earlier thread. It's nothing to do with tension. You have to push harder because you have to push the strings further to get them onto the frets. This increases the frictional load between fingertip and the fretboard which means you have to push harder to move the string sideways. Nothing to do with tension. The noun you are looking for here is force. And the applicable adjective would be greater.

Latest posts