It's back...you decide..on or off?

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Off... I don't believe that an SG NEEDs a PG... some of the comments on these
boards are from members who do. And I don't really like plastic anything.

So if you wanted to mount a pickguard, I'd suggest you buy a 4x8" piece of ebony headstock veneer from Stewmac, trace your plastic part on it, cut it out with a dremel tool and mount that. a fairly radical alternative, but that's what you began this thread to find...
isn't it.

STEWMAC.COM - Peghead Overlay Veneer

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

Hammer

Reaction score
On. A little double-sided tape (one that won't mar the finish, of course) and the screw holes issue is a non-issue! :thumb:

Daphne Gruntfuttock

Reaction score
On, a SG without a scratchplate looks weird.

I don't get the three knob config, it's sheer folly, how much has that missing pot and drill hole saved Gibson on the RRP ?

$10 or something ?

Dadou

Reaction score
off. Normally, I'd say on, but with your knob configurations it looks like a choice between a '70s modded Gibson (w/o the pg) and a japanese knock-off (with the pg, because of the odd cutaway of the pg itself)

WavMixer

Reaction score
Agreed, and I would vote off anyway. If there was a non-permanent way of adding one it wouldn't matter, but sadly there is not.
how about double sided tape? Completely removable with no tell tale holes. :thumb:

WavMixer

Reaction score
IMG_26722_zps2288a9c5.jpg

My question is, did anyone else notice the pickup selector switch being sideways? I tried this an my SG also, but later changed it back.

Biddlin

Reaction score
IMG_26762_zps1d0d0eb7.jpg

That does not look right, to me, under any circumstances. It breaks the flow of the lower line and exaggerates the awkward control arrangement.
I like the choice of knobs, although I'd have gone black with chrome inserts, but I'd lose the selector chip.
Ferrari Red is a very popular colour, so I'd think about a custom made clear acrylic guard, that press fits between the pickup rings.
256991349_o.jpg

It's made it this far without any irreversible mods, I'd keep it that way.
;>)/

This model has a maple neck and ebony fingerboard!

Saintjonah

Reaction score
I'm a guy that likes his SGs with the guard ON in almost all circumstances. Almost. This being one where I would leave it off. It looks so much better without it.

schotter

Reaction score
What year is your guitar? My 1983....

'84. I'm the original buyer. Came with different knobs, humbuckers and different Schaller wraparound bridge.
I guess after those 30yrs not liking that bare look, I can safely call myself an 'SG needs that pickguard' kinda guy.
How do you like yours overall? Kept it all original?

Latest posts