It's "Eight Track Tape Day"

Discussion in 'Upcoming Events' started by iblive, Apr 11, 2011.

1. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

F.Y.I. - Today is "Eight Track Tape Day." For those of you old enough to remember 8 tracks.... enjoy. For those that have no idea what I'm talking about.... go ask your Grandparents.

:dance:

2. Ne_buddy

Ne_buddy Member

Whoa, that's a blast from the past!

I s'pose there's some charm in the 8-track, but it's lost on me, although I used to have a great SNL 8-track with the original cast plus Richard Pryor. Good schtuff!

3. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=Ne_buddy link=topic=21548.msg258574#msg258574 date=1302534662]
    I s'pose there's some charm in the 8-track, but it's lost on me......
    [/quote]

No.... not really. At least charm isn't quite what I would have come up with. Nostalgic comes to mind.

If you had an 8 track player I'm sure you'll (and anyone else) will remember folding up a match book to stuff between the tape and the player so it would track properly. When I started driving, FM stations were few a far between so 8-tracks were great. Can still remember some of my first tapes.... Zeppelin.... Neil Young - Harvest..... Woodstock - Vol 1.... Steppenwolf.... and many others.

4. mrk

mrk Active Member

I especially enjoyed how they occasionally had to split songs to accommodate the track change. There was a real train-wreck of a split on the 8-track version of Pink Floyd's Animals.

MRK

5. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Funny, I just read an article that claimed 8 track had a very high sound quality due to the size of the tape.

If we could get in the "way-back" time machine, I'd share a drive in my 1970 hand-me-down Pontiac Firebird with 8 track sound. We'd listen to Deep Purple's "Live in Japan", "Yessongs", the rare Jam Akkerman solo album, lots of stuff I recorded on 8 tracks, etc.

I even brought a small 8 track player and some tapes on my senior trip. We were the only cabin with sounds.

6. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=mrk link=topic=21548.msg258579#msg258579 date=1302540310]
    I especially enjoyed how they occasionally had to split songs to accommodate the track change. [/quote]

I forgot about that. I had a Rare Earth Live 8-Track and "Get Ready" stretched out over 3 tracks. Good stuff!!

7. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I had an 8-track player in my old 69 mustang in high school. I also had an 8-track recorder for my home stereo setup and remember recording many demos of rock songs on that thing. When I finally upgraded the 8-track in my car to a pioneer supertuner with cassette, I thought I was the shizzle, yo!

8. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=21548.msg258594#msg258594 date=1302556382]
    When I finally upgraded the 8-track in my car to a pioneer supertuner with cassette, I thought I was the shizzle, yo!
    [/quote]

You and I sound very much like we experienced the same misspent youth, except mine was a 67 Galaxie. Fun times!

9. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

I had an 8-track/turntable/radio in my room when I was a kid. I had the Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back soundtracks, as well as the "story albums" and also some Fleetwood Mac and Beatles tapes that I would listen to. I remember that it used to drive me crazy that I couldn't just fast-forward or rewind to the song that I wanted to hear.

10. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

I know that up until at least the last decade, radio stations would use 4 tracks (called carts) to play commercials (called spots). 4 tracks were the shiznit prior to the introduction of the 8 track. I remember listing to Aerosmith Toys in the Attic in my car on a 4 track. This concludes my ancient history lesson for the day. Time to go check my Depends and take my Geritol. :p