It's not a B5! Gibson Bigsby help needed!

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Drazden, May 6, 2010.

1. Drazden

Drazden New Member

Hey,

I've just hit a real snag in my restoration of a 1971 Gibson SG Deluxe. These normally shipped with what is labeled as a 'Gibson Bigsby' bridge, and this one is no different... but I was given it without the bridge, so I ordered one in to the store I work at.

But I ordered a B5, thinking that it took the same bridge that all other SG's use since the beginning of time.

Not so much.

It doesn't fit; does anyone know what model of bridge actually belonged on this guitar, as well as whether or not Bigsby makes them? Thanks, guys; I'm going nuts here!

2. Drazden

Drazden New Member

Well, quick update here: I'm not bothering to look for a new bridge. I've made up my mind that the B5 is going on the guitar. Going to line it up and drill the three new holes in the morning.

Wish me luck! I've already wired it up, and I'm just trying to anchor the bridge so I can make sure my neck repair's going to hold! Updates to follow!

3. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

how about some pics so we can check it out before and after?

4. Drazden

Drazden New Member

Well, here's a quick update: The Before Pictures!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

Gibson had Bigsby make those tailpieces. hey were technically B-5's, but they were cast a bit different, and had Gibson cast into them instead of Bigsby.

[​IMG]

6. TNT

TNT Active Member

7. Drazden

Drazden New Member

Well, thanks for the info, guys. Unfortunately, I've already put the B5 I've got on it. Only one of the holes lined up properly, but a little bit of drilling and it's functionally excellent. Anyway, here are the AFTER pictures!

I should probably give you guys a little background. A Few months ago, I bought a Gibson SGJ Gordie Johnson signature guitar, a kickass, very, very, very rare piece that I adored the tone and feel of, but didn't want to take out to shows or modify. Oh--and it hums like a bastard. So, after scouring the local craigslist, I came upon an SG to fix up as a project--a 1971 (dated from the pots) SG Deluxe. Picked up for cheap, this is now my beater, so I can have a guitar that doesn't hum for shows at shitty bars while the SGJ gets used for showcases and recording. Obviously, the Deluxe is not going to be a show piece, so 'vintage-correct' is not something I'm exactly striving for, haha.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am aware of the string missing the pole piece on the E, but I think it's an issue with the nut; I'm currently trying to decide what to do about repairing that area, but as it plays great, and sounds amazing (original T-top pickups) I may just leave it.

It's definitely got mojo, though. For all the wear and tear this thing's been put through--and nearly 30 years with a crappy neck repair, in pieces in someone's basement--it plays amazingly well, and the dings and cracks in the finish really add to the patina of a well-used guitar. And it sounds great! Warm and round, but still clear in the neck position, and just a little more biting in the bridge. I can see why people love the T-top pickups.