Jay Turser JT-50

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Viktor Vlk, Dec 5, 2020.

1. Viktor Vlk

Viktor Vlk New Member

So I got this guitar a year and a half ago as my first guitar, I was always trying to tweak it with setting it up, recently I changed the electronics, but not the pickups. I was wondering if anyone could measure the pickup output on it, as I don't want to buy something that wouldn't suit me. Also I would like to know how to read the serial number if anyone has the knowledge for that.
    Thanks in advance.

Note: I did take off the pickup covers and swapped the knobs, it's not a weird custom or anything.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    DrBGood likes this.
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I had a Custom JT50. Really nicely built. It was a delight to play with its massive neck. Knobs pattern were closer to an actual SG. I loved it but I couldn't deal with its symetrical horns. Mine was a 2011 I think. Pickups were great. Have you tried playing with their height on yours ?

If you bought it new, I'd say it's a 2018 as for the 1st and 2nd digits. No serial on mine, it's just lately that they started putting some on.

150430-10.jpg

150430-03.jpg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    Chopper likes this.
  3. Viktor Vlk

Viktor Vlk New Member

Yea I have tried that, and they seemed to sound better the higher they were(rn about 1mm with string pressed on the 21st fret), but they also got really muddy, that's why I want to maybe buy some that won't have these issues.
    I was really surprised by the tuners, as I rarely have to tune. Other thing is I'm not 100% happy about the action, got it to about 1.5mm on the low E and 1.25mm on the high e. But I mean what can you expect for that cost. I got rid of the old nut as well and slapped on a bone one, seems like the pickups are the last thing to do, have you ever measured the impedance of yours or seen it listed somewhere? I suppose they use the same for pretty much everything..

Attached Files:

Chopper likes this.
  4. DrBGood

Your neck pickup sounds muddy ? Could well be, it is way too close to strings.

Try this.

I set the bridge pickup (pole) height to about two credit card thickness distance from the bottom of the unfretted strings (1/8" or ±3mm). If it sounds good, I leave it there. Too hot ? Go ½ turn of each screw at a time to lower it where I want it (counter clockwise for humbucker, clockwise for P90). Test clean AND with dirt. Once I have that one at the sweet spot, I go to the neck pup.

Any neck pickup will sound boomy if adjusted too high.

Neck tone has to be different from middle position. Many people have the neck pup adjusted so it gives the same tonality as middle position. Not good. Neck pup has to be adjusted so middle position gets a quacky or almost acoustic tone. You'll know what I mean when you get there. So, I raise the neck pup until it starts to sound boomy. Notes will seem to be overwhelmed with too much bass. Now I lower it a full screw turn and compare it to middle. If it sounds the same, the neck pup is still too high. I go on until I hear three different balanced tones out of the two pup.

That is a fun thing to do. Take your time and you will find the sweet spot for each pickup.

5. Viktor Vlk

Viktor Vlk New Member

I actually dig the way they sound now, the neck used to be really thin. I think I am getting about what you mean, cause this way the neck sounds calm, but not boomy or anything, it definitely surprised me as I thought it needed to be lower.
    Middle is as clear as the bridge, but it doesn't punch as much.
    Bridge itself has to se this way as it looses all its life when its lower, saddly a bit muddy.
    I change stuff every week or so cause I'm never satisfied, I will for sure try your method!

Chopper likes this.
  6. Westernrider

Westernrider Well-Known Member

Always .....before you adjust or swap pickups
    Know what you are going for.

Use your ears .....
    Adjust your amp! for optimal sound
    Adjust your pickups
    Pay attention
    Adjust again .....

Check the video out .....

Chopper likes this.
  7. Westernrider

Westernrider Well-Known Member

"Neck tone has to be different from middle position."

The middle position is a combination of the neck and bridge pickups and the knobs act weird. Try it and you will note what control does what.

There are some good tones in the middle position. Problem is you are going to have to use your guitar's volume and tone controls.

Have fun.

Chopper likes this.
  8. DrBGood

If your pup heights are properly adjusted, middle position will sound very different even with everything dimed on the guitar.

Chopper likes this.
  9. Viktor Vlk

Viktor Vlk New Member

I recently started listening to Metallica and got really obsessed with it, im trying to get the sound but im wodering if i should buy pickups or a better amp.
    Im not any rich and so my setup is a Marshall mg10 (only 'tone' like thing is countour, which just softens or hardens the sound basically) and a boss ds-1, which does technically have enough distortion for it, but it doesn't sound the best ofc.
    That setup was perfect for acdc, but now it doesn't feel like enough.
    When I looked at some good amps they were way out of my budget, for the pickups, I was thinking of Seymour Duncan sh6 or sh5. Saddly it's hard to tell which I like better.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  10. DrBGood

I have a set of Guitar Madness P94 that are really nice ($38). Had them in the JT50 for a while. I compared them to Gibson P94 and ... pretty much the same, so much so that I kept the GM and sold the Gibson pickups. They now look to be closed on eBay and Reverb, but most Chinese P94 sound decent.

JayTurser JT50 with P94.jpg

rocknrollmouse likes this.