Jimi HENDRIX 1969 Flying V and 1967 SG Custom

papagayo

Reaction score
Gibson honours Jimi HENDRIX with reproductions of his 1969 Flying V and 1967 SG Custom,

Temp 4612.JPG

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
So, for $10,000 they won't even make a proper '67 Reissue? The heel design is the same as the Historic '63 Custom Reissue. This is just a '63 Reissue dressed up like a '67 Custom. Real '67s had this unique heel design:

... among other details.

Ridiculous. Especially since they did it one time before, for the Robbie Krieger Signature, which cost about half this much.

SG standard

Reaction score
So, for $10,000 they won't even make a proper '67 Reissue?

Sadly they just don't give a f*ck, and presumably nor do many of their wealthy customers; as long as it comes with Band of Gypsies on the case and 5 Jimi Hendrix picks, who cares about historic details? They'll sell every single one they make.

I just wish they'd make something with this vibe and without all the Jimi branding BS, I'm sure they'd sell really well - but presumably Gibson are selling all they can make right now, and are just happy it's not 2015...

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Pertaining to current reissues...

The current 70's Flying V model is NOT.
It's the same '67 Reissue Flying they have been producing since 1989, but with a bound neck and Grover tuners. The headstock on these '67 Reissues are also shorter than a vintage 1967 Flying V.

A 70's Flying has a more rounded headstock.
The white ones had the headstock painted white to match the body.

Why is it so difficult for them to paint white guitars?
Why do they have the yellow or cream tint?
It does not look fresh at all.

Several years ago they released a Custom Shop 70s Flying V which was a reissue of the 1979 Flying V with small block inlays. They got everything right but the finish color was a cream or yellow tint.

Last edited:

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I'm not seeing why it is a signature guitar.
Isn't it just a garden variety off-the-rack stock SG Custom?

Last edited:

Chubbles

Reaction score
WOW. It comes with picks?? Where can I get one?

jk

SG standard

Reaction score
I think it's rather silly to have these as "signature" models for something he only played a few shows with. I wanna see a Jimi signature LP since he played one at a show, lol View attachment 42966

It's only a matter of time. Just wait until someone at Gibson remembers/sees a photo... Let's not forget Gibson actually got as far as putting a Hendrix signature Gibson 'Strat' into production, fully supported by the Hendrix estate. In fact, recalling that episode should leave us all feeling good about these two guitars, regardless of any historical inconsistencies. :)

Why is it so difficult for them to paint white guitars?
Why do they have the yellow or cream tint?
It does not look fresh at all.

Several years ago they released a Custom Shop 70s Flying V which was a reissue of the 1979 Flying V with small block inlays. They got everything right but the finish color was a cream or yellow tint.

I think it's the same reason Fender use the fugly combination of green pickguards with yellow controls and pickup covers: They think it gives them a vintage vibe. It never does because nothing ever discolours so evenly. Having said that, Jimi's SG was a creamish finish - very much the difference between Gibson's Classic or Alpine whites.

I'm not seeing why it is a signature guitar.
Isn't it just a garden variety off-the-rack stock SG Custom?

Strangely, batwing Customs are quite rare. Apart from the initial period from 1966 they've stuck with the small pickguard, even when the rest of the range went back to batwings. There were a couple of very limited editions over the years, but a batwing SG custom has never been a regular option in the range since the beginning of the 70s.

WOW. It comes with picks?? Where can I get one?

Don't get too excited, you'll only get five to play with. I guess including a round number of ten picks would've pushed the price through the $10,000 price barrier. :)

Never mind, you also get a photo of Jimi, signed by Eddie Kramer... Gotta be better than five more picks, right?

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
The small guard SG gets way too much attention in the reissue department.

They need to reissue the SG Classic, but with a Wraparound bridge.

They did a great job with that model by making a reissue of the late 60s SG Special with two modern updates.

1. 1-11/16 nut width
2. TOM bridge instead of Short Vibrola.

A Wraparound bridge version would be awesome.

Last edited:

Von Trapp

Reaction score
Why you would pay 10 grand for a guitar is beyond me, why you would pay 10 grand for a mere copy of some famous guys guitar is beyond me, why you would pay 10 grand for a mere copy that's not even a correct copy is... sh1t, my head spins. I gotta find another thread and forget about this one.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Maybe those guitars are marketed for lawyers and doctors.

Last edited:

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Why you would pay 10 grand for a guitar is beyond me, why you would pay 10 grand for a mere copy of some famous guys guitar is beyond me, why you would pay 10 grand for a mere copy that's not even a correct copy is... sh1t, my head spins. I gotta find another thread and forget about this one.

Reverb's price guide puts an original batwing SG Custom at $6-8k.

Though to be fair, the new one would be a better player because most originals will have frets that are shot and the narrow nut width of that era.

But I don't think vintage prices going into the insane asylum justifies Gibson raising prices to match.

SG standard

Reaction score
Reverb's price guide puts an original batwing SG Custom at $6-8k.

Though to be fair, the new one would be a better player because most originals will have frets that are shot and the narrow nut width of that era.

But I don't think vintage prices going into the insane asylum justifies Gibson raising prices to match.

Another interesting point in terms of vintage/new prices is the rarity question: Gibson are making 150 '67 Hendrix SG Customs', but according to production figures, they only made 43 SG Customs in 1967. And, of course, those are all 'accurate' in terms of historical detail. I don't know if any of those '67 SGs have since been destroyed, but there's certainly one less in circulation for collectors - the one Jimi owned. makes me wonder what sort of prices these new Customs will change hands for in the years to come, could they really be worth more than a 'real' '67?

Perhaps they could - after all, those don't come with five Jimi Hendrix picks. :)

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Another interesting point in terms of vintage/new prices is the rarity question: Gibson are making 150 '67 Hendrix SG Customs', but according to production figures, they only made 43 SG Customs in 1967. And, of course, those are all 'accurate' in terms of historical detail. I don't know if any of those '67 SGs have since been destroyed, but there's certainly one less in circulation for collectors - the one Jimi owned. makes me wonder what sort of prices these new Customs will change hands for in the years to come, could they really be worth more than a 'real' '67?

Perhaps they could - after all, those don't come with five Jimi Hendrix picks. :)

Due to the illogic of collectors, I wouldn't be surprised if the Hendrix sig maintained its value above originals. But I also wouldn't be surprised if originals jumped up to match it. That seems to be happening with Silverburst LPs since the Adam Jones signature came out (or at least, sellers are now trying to get over $10k for them).

JackStraw

Reaction score
I like the V. Every disparaging comment on the SG is correct, however I still like that V.

Roger Phillips

Reaction score
I've not skenned the whole of this thread, but the one difference between both these re-issues and the originals is the width of the nut; nearly all Gibsons from around 1965 had the narrower nut:- 1 9/16".
Here in the U.K. I've rarely seen another '67/8 SG Custom. Indeed I've only seen one on the w.w.w. and that was considerably altered visually in the U.S.A. Mine has a replaced middle h.b. having impressed s/n; 3 of the pots are '70s and the wiring system is not standard.
Anyway it's not for going just yet.
Roger

Latest posts