Joe Bonamassa in sydney tonight

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Moose, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Just went to see Joe tonight. Didn't know much about him but a friend from work arranged the tickets so I was interested. I like blues guitar so I figured it would be ok.

He did two sets, one acoustic and the other electric. The acoustic was full of various styles and good fun. The electric set better and worse. Let down by too much guitar riffosity. It's a shame because he has a fantastic array of blues and jazz riffs. Lot of double stops too. The problem with the rock riff is to begins to sound the same and once he let loose a few fast licks you've seen it all. It's not a Joe problem, it's a rock problem. When is too much too much. When you play a note and let it feedback for 20 seconds. Jimi did that on machine gun. It's not hard and old hat now. His runs are lightning fast and precise if not liquid but he seems to fret hard at the bottom of the run.

Everybody in the band got a solo on one song (the drum solo was thankfully short).

The real surprise is his voice. He's famous for being a blues guitarist but he has an outstanding voice.

The encore was one song that went on for 15 minutes. I would rather hear 5 short 3 minute songs played in quick succession and more of his singing.

Anyway, he could back off on the rockery a bit and play more of those lovely blues/jazz riffs. 4.5/5

Recommended and I'll go with more of my friends next time.

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Never really seen or heard him, but what you say is ringing so many bells with me. Extended, indulgent solos by any band member are just the worst things.

It would be great if they were actual tunes with a start, middle and end, but no, they amount to very little more than endless noodling. We should have moved on by now.

3. Barabus

Barabus Member

Joe's great but he doesn't play an SG.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1_6yCHnSI4]Joe Bonamassa - Sloe gin @ Royal Albert Hall - YouTube[/ame]

4. TheSandman

TheSandman Active Member

Seen him back in 2009/2010. Did nothing for me. Overrated.

5. Dreamscape

Dreamscape Active Member

Thought he was terrific in Black Country Communion that band was great, but don't like him as a frontman in his own band.
    He has some great licks but gets a bit boring.

Alex_SG likes this.
  6. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

I love his album "so, it's like that" which for any Aussie members has 2 songs co-written with Mark Lizotte (aka Diesel). There is a varied style of song across the album which I like and Diesel's influence on those 2 tracks shines through nicely.
    Joe plays Perth tomorrow night but I can't go which is a bit of a bummer cos I loved his show last time I saw him. But it's true, the guitar pyrotechnics can go on a bit. I love it more when they overlay the melody rather than take over.
    His BCC work is outstanding but why wouldn't it be with a lineup like that.

I'll say this. He appears to love music and the legacy of the blues and he works hard to preserve and expand it and you gotta love him for that no matter what else you may think of him.

Moose and Alex_SG like this.
  7. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Agreed. No question! But you also gotta remember, in BCC he's playing with a bona fide rock god, Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple/Black Sabbath), and the son of a rock god, Jason Bonham! (Son of John Bonham, from Led Zeppelin!) :dude:

83 Blazer likes this.
  8. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

For me, the highlight of the Led Zeppelin Celebration Day DVD was Jason Bonhams drumming. Absolutely monstered the kit :dude:

Joe B has done some tracks with Jimmy Barnes which I don't mind at all.

9. Barabus

Barabus Member

You forgot Trapeze. :)