Junior with Bigsby+Vibramate

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Aethelstan, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Aethelstan

Aethelstan New Member

I picked up an SG Junior last year and it has quickly become my favorite guitar. Problem is, I have written a bunch of songs on my Grestch that has a Bigbsy. I hate swapping out guitars during gigs... so wanted to instal a Bigsby using the Vibramate adapter so I don't have to permanently mess up the guitar if I want to get rid of it.

I looked at a bunch of videos online etc and got the Bigsby B5, which seems to be the one people install on SGs, and the vibramate to go with it.

Problem is, I'm an idiot... everything I watched was for an SG standard, or on an SG junior but drilled into the body. With the junior only having the wrap around bridge, the B5 and vibramate don't work because the vibramate installs on the tailpiece, expecting the bridge to still be in place.

So before I order again and get it wrong again, has anyone installed a bigsby WITH VIBRAMATE on a Junior? If so, which one, and do you have a photo of the install?

My "duh" moment: IMG_4430.JPG

2. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Active Member

That's a bummer but you're right in thinking that a Vibramate won't work. Works with tailpiece and tunomatic set up only. Is that a vintage Jr? If not, drill away!

3. Aethelstan

Aethelstan New Member

It's not a vintage... but I have drilled so many guitars in the past and regretted it - so loathe to do it again!

4. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Active Member

Seems like Vibramate should offer a version that works on the wraptail studs. It could work.

5. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Drill the holes, or get a B3.

Nice veneer...

VetPsychWars likes this.
  6. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

Yeh, you need a STP to use a VibraMate. Otherwise will need to screw the B5 to the guitar and use with the wraparound bridge.

Could try a B3 and see how the break angle is - either use a VibraMate hinge-plate adaptor for mounting the B3 or go for a B30 and mount it using the central hole only using the strap pin screw.

Or - more “vintage correct” for a SG Junior - our a short Vibrola on instead. Still requires holes in the front of the guitar like a B5 would but only 3 and in a straight line so spread over less space.

7. Aethelstan

Aethelstan New Member

Thanks all... I spoke with t he folks at Towner and the recommend the B3 (with their part for attaching to the strap pin). I'm worried about the break angle as it will go straight from the Bigsby over the wrap around bridge, but we'll see!

tolm likes this.
  8. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

I’ve see some slab body guitars that work with a B3 so fingers crossed for ya!