Just be aware

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by donepearce, Dec 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    There is a desperate shortage of lateral flow test kits in the USA, so the number of new positives is hugely under-reported. Luckily an alternative is ready at hand

upload_2021-12-24_7-36-29.png

2. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Yeah, they’re kind of sparse here, right now. Are you having availability issues in the UK?

3. donepearce

No, they are free by post. I just go to a NHS web site and request one. It arrives in next day's post. It has seven tests in i.

4. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

So, Don, I’m just a little curious. How do things work over there for testing?

I was exposed to a COVID-positive individual awhile back. Although I’m fully vaxxed with Moderna, I still went through the testing process. The way it worked for me was that I was given the lateral flow test (what we call a “rapid” test). I tested negative with the rapid test but still had to remain isolated until the results of the rapid test were confirmed by the PCR test. The PCR also came back negative.

Had I tested positive with the rapid test, there would have been no follow-up test with the PCR test and I just would have been diagnosed as positive.

Is the process similar for you?

5. donepearce

Pretty much identical, although the way things are developing it looks like the lateral flow test may give slightly more reliable results than PCR. A positive lateral flow on its own triggers what follows. Either way a positive result means instant isolation and notification of recent contacts.
    Currently if you have been notified of contact you still need a pcr.

6. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

ER friend said mask up… they’re swamped with 3-4hr wait. Seeing vax’d and unvax’d positives but few have to be admitted.