Just bought a Strat, think I hate it.....

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by chrisoldroyd, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

I really tried to love lighter strings but I've found that after about two hours into a set my hands not only get slippery but less careful, so everything I do starts to get more aggressive and less accurate. The heavier strings help control that, they dont break so easy, it makes other guitarsits not want to play my guitars(which is a plus), and they can be downtuned for open D or G is neccissary. I gig with 3 guitars, my acosutic archtop with flatwound 13- 56s , my green Cort s2900 with 11-52s, and my homemade Esquire with 12-56s. Last two use roundwound, I prefer daddario but ernie balls will work even though they break easier. A big part of why i love thicker strings is becuase I fingerpicking exclusively which is NOT easily done at high speeds with lighter strings. All last year i experiemnted with lighter gauges but they didnt work for me. I dont like anything below a .10. I prefer Twang over quack any day.

I never imagined even this many people would speak out against fenders and single coils. I can't imagine not wanting to utilize the classic twang of both strats and teles for various things. This needs a thread...

2. Layne Matz

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread!

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

It depends on who you ask and it may have something to do with the fact that this is an SG forum. While some SG have P-90's which are technically single coils, they do sound much fuller to my ears compared to F-style single coils.

arcticsg and Layne Matz like this.
  4. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

This is a forum for SGs after all (which are my favorite). :D

But still, Strats are still loving cared for as well ;)

[​IMG]

5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Super nice setup!
    That arrangement reminds me of a library, but without the rules of being quiet.

fos1, Layne Matz, Worblehat and 2 others like this.
  6. arcticsg

Thanks man! Kind of just happened that way ;)

cerebral gasket likes this.
  7. PeterS

PeterS New Member

Thinking about getting either a Strat or a Tele, not to replace my beloved SG but to complement it. Probably a rather cheap one which I would take on holidays and keep in my office for some relax time. Any recommendations ? Rather Strat or Tele ? I am mostly Blues Rock oriented, but still a beginner. If it weren‘t for complementing my SG I would consider a cabronita style Tele with humbuckers, but that would rather be a competitor than a complement... sorry hope that makes sense, English is not my native language...

8. Tiboy

Tiboy Active Member

I have a Clapton Strat and an Elite Tele. Both have maple neck and board. Each is very different from my SG. Either will compliment the SG sound. Do what I did. Strat first then add the Tele. At least between the two Fenders I have, the Strat is more versatile.

Layne Matz likes this.
  9. arcticsg

Go for the Fender Strat.

And if keeping the price down is an issue, I would go with a used, pre 2017 MIM Fender (not Squier) Strat. They can be had in excellent condition for $300-450, or even lower. Also, they can be had with either maple or rosewood boards if you so choose. These will hold there value, and you can always turn around and get your $$ back if you decide the Strat ain't for you. ;)

The last used MIM I bought in excl cond, w/case, was only $200 (local). It's posted in the Other Guitars section.

Good luck.

10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Hey, welcome to ETSG!
    I would suggest you NOT give up on your Strat so easily. There are
    a number of ways to get a tone you like from an instrument with such
    a rich heritage. If other players can do it, you can do it.

Personally I just don't understand much of the above
    discussion of Strat tones. I don't understand the negativity.
    I like a lot of different kinds of music, and have some favorite
    artists who use Stratocasters. I would never characterize
    any of their tones as "quacky" and actually
    I don't even know what that means.

All of the Strat jockeys I listen to sound different from each other,
    and they all have highs, mids and lows. I never hear anything that sounds
    like a quack from Marc Knopfler, or Bonnie Raitt, or Buddy Guy, or Eric Clapton, or Jeff Beck,
    or from any of the less well known musicians who are friends and colleagues
    of mine. To me, the Strat tone is clear and bright, smooth and very very cool.
    Begin with that, and you can spin it, or delay it, or overdrive it as you wish.

My first suggestion to someone who comes aboard with a post where they
    find fault with a new (or used) guitar is to spend some money and get that
    guitar professionally set up. Never try to analyze tone on a guitar with old
    dead strings. Get it set up by the best luthier you can find or afford. Even a
    brand new guitar might have been sitting in a ware house for six months or
    more. Don't be thinking you have to swap out pickups if you haven't changed
    those old dead strings.

Anyone who thinks they can reduce the tone of a guitar like the Stratocaster
    to a few words is missing a lot, IMHO. Don't do that. A Strat can deliver the
    tones in a number of genres. A Strat has a lot to offer, and the player needs to
    consider what he's playing it through.

I'll answer the OP first: If you've only been playing a year and a half,
    I suggest that you begin your Strat experience with the assumption that you
    have a lot to learn about EQ. Think of your Strat experience as a journey,
    and you have hardly even left the dock yet. Listen to some great musicians
    who play Strats, and you'll understand that there's likely nothing wrong with
    your guitar, only with how you EQ it. ...and THAT is all under your control.

I've seen similar posts on this forum from Strat guys who buy their first SG
    because of how much enthusiasm there is on these boards. Then they take it
    home and play it, and come here and complain about how muddy it is, or how
    tinny it is, or what. They are used to the crystalline tones of the Fender, and
    a Gibbie or Epi doesn't sound like that.

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just different. And it needs to be EQ'd in a bit
    of a different way, maybe. A Strat is appropriate for some songs, and your Epi is
    appropriate for some other songs. That's why we like to own both, it broadens our
    tonal reach.

Don't take my word for this. Prove it to yourself by hanging out with some players who
    are better (or at least more experienced) than you are. Ask one of them to play your
    Strat, and see if they can't get some decent tones out of it. IF they do, look carefully
    at the signal chain. Look carefully at where they set their knobs. Take notes... I would.

If no experienced guitarist you know can get any good tones out of your Strat either,
    then sell it. Don't write off the whole thing because of one instrument. There's a whole
    world of rich Fender tones waiting for you to figure your way to it.

I don't even own a Strat. I have a Telecaster, and a couple of SGs among other guitars.
    I object to the word "twang" when Telecasters are mentioned, because I don't hear anything
    that resembles a twang from my Telecaster, nor do I hear it when somebody else plays one.
    A Tele can growl or shriek, howl like a banshee or wail like a pedal steel. or chug like a train...
    So can a Strat. I think Fender guitars are versatile, and it's wrong to try and nail them in
    a little box. It doesn't work, the tones don't stay in there, and your little box is empty.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    TChalms, fos1 and arcticsg like this.
  11. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

This has to be a joke thread, right?

How in the hell can one dismiss a Strat? Let's see, they can funk (just ask Nile Rodgers) and they can rock (just ask Jimi Hendrix). And then they can do everything in between.

Man can not live on humbucking alone. I suppose one can (just ask Angus), but it is great to have a variety. I have 12 electric guitars -- all different. All provide me with a different color to paint with. Strat, SG, Tele, Rickenbacker 12 string, big hollow body Gretsch...need them all.

Keep your Strat and start opening your ears to all styles of music. The Strat can cover a ton of those styles.

Col Mustard, fos1 and Layne Matz like this.
  12. Layne Matz

Hey man, some Squiers are actually a lot better than they get credit for. My hss squire strat with P94 in the bridge and some squire mini strat pickups to replace the originals sounds as good as any other strat I've played.

I got the guitar for $40 at a nashville pawnshop, the neck pick up didnt work and i hated the bridge humbucker becuase i had my SG and wanted a single coil in the bridge. I rewired it all and messed with it quite a bit. So now its got a master tone and volume as well as a tone and volume bypass switch which is definitely worth it- I'll be adding a neck pick up on off switch soon.

Dont overlook cheap guitars, and if you know a thing or two about basic luthiery/repair work you shouldnt have any trouble fixing it up.

DrBGood likes this.
  13. Layne Matz

This can't be stessed enough.

I love all my guitars but a three pickup guitar with a tremelo and a straight string path is probably the most versatile setup i can imagine without straying too much from traditional designs.

P.S. I think jeff beck probably uses strats to their fullest extent...i read somewhere he uses one until it splits right down the middle.

14. Layne Matz

I cant imagine that being possible as long as the amp is decent...perhaps if the strings were too thin but obviously an amp can make up for that.

Also, I think some people who use only humbucker dislike being able to hear what they are doing in that crystaline way- its more articulate, bell like, and chimey when they may be used to muddy rock growls.

15. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

You said it....and I don't even use the trem!

My first guitar was a Strat and remember those days when you got your first guitar? You were trying out every single song you ever heard on that guitar. Well, the Strat could do justice to them all. If my first guitar were a 12 string Ric...no way could I be playing a Clash song, a Hendrix song, a Glen Campbell song, a Chic song.... But with my Strat I really was playing all that and more.

And the Tele is even a tad more versatile.

Col Mustard and Layne Matz like this.
  16. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Well-Known Member

Somehow I ended up with four Strats. One is an HSS, one is a 12-String, one is an SSS, and the other has three humbuckers now. That's plenty for me.

Layne Matz likes this.
  17. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I had a rough time finding a strat that I loved. Tele wasn't an issue. Got one and it's incredible. Strat though took a while. Ended up with a G&L and it's sweet. For me on a strat with a 5 way switch, position 2 and 4 are the strat tones that I can't get out of any other guitar. Just a legendary sound. It just doesn't do heavy as well as an SG or LP.

Layne Matz likes this.
  18. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

For me it's the neck pickup tones that will always keep a Strat in my collection. Nothing else sounds like that.

19. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    If your Strat has too much quack in positions 2 and 4, just tweak the centre pickup height adjustment screws one full turn each. That will remove some of the cancellation. Give them another turn if really necessary, but you should not need more than that. Take note of the original position because if you sell it, it will go much faster if it quacks like it should.

20. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

I'll be honest here, always hated the strat. A bunch of design flaws that somehow got turned into the "charm" of the instrument. I respect strat players, but for me, nope. However that being said, I have an Aria from the early 70's whose neck is a joy to behold. Fat, V shaped, and pure maple goodness. The 2 and 4 positions are what Clapton and Knopfler dream about in "private" moments alone. And maple on maple on a maple body with a white guard..... sweet.

I also have Ibanez superstrats, with singles in the neck and middle, that give me the single coil clarity when needed.

It's up to you to decide whether you need or want the tones from a strat.