Just bought my first sg!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Cranex, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Cranex

Cranex New Member

Hi all, new here.

So.. I'm a life-long guitarist, had a few years hiatus when kids were small (I'm 44 now), but have been playing actively in a band for the last years again. Garage-ish rock.

I've had this Strat as my only guitar for 4 years, and it's been causing me heartburn with being very fiddly, not keeping it's tune and demanding constant fiddling and adjusting. I finally made the decision last week that I need a new guitar, as I noticed I didn't really enjoy playing anymore with the strat.

So today I went to the local music store, decided that I'll play through everything in my budget (under 2000€). I had this notion that a Tele is going to be my dream guitar, and I tried out several models. Only the american 50's pro felt pretty good, but I didn't have a "revelation" moment even with it. I tried out strats, a jaguar and a jazzmaster. The JM vintera was the best of the Fenders, probably because of the deeper C neck, and I also liked the tone.

But then I noticed there was this lone, black 2019 SG standard in the corner, and I thought I'd try it out while I was there. And when I started playing it I suddenly had that revelation; it just felt so right in my hands that it was unbelievable. I put it down, played a different guitar in between, and then went back to the sg. And true enough the magic was still there. The tight and raw humbucker sound felt right as well.

I thought long and hard about it. I certainly didn't go in there thinking I would walk out with an SG! But finally I made up my mind that I had to have it. The price tag said 1315€, they only had that one that had been on display there. It turns out that there is no one importing Gibson to Finland atm, so 2020 models aren't even available here. I went through the guitar with a close eye, and apart from just a few minor scratches (not even scratches, I guess this finish doesn't stay shiny too long?) i couldn't find anything wrong with it. I negotiated the price down to 1200, and walked out smiling. If it feels good it must be good?

I spent the evening jamming away happily. Haven't felt like this about a guitar and playing for that matter, in a long time.

I think the truss rod will need a bit of loosening, as the "press on 1st and 14th fret,and check the action on the 9th"-trick doesn't leave any room between the string and the fret. But there's plenty of time for that, and I guess I'll find all the adjusting info I need right here on this forum?

Nice to be here :smile:

madhermit, fos1, NiteGoat and 9 others like this.
  2. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Congratulations, and welcome to the board!

The SG has a way of doing that to you. HNGD to ya! :smile:

Darryl Fisher, DanB and Cranex like this.
  3. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

You have chosen wisely.

Darryl Fisher likes this.
  4. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

maybe the strat just needs a floyd rose :D

5. Cranex

Cranex New Member

Thanks everybody! I gave the truss rod a quarter cc turn yesterday, and also lowered the bridge a little; string height pretty good now. Btw, this guitar is incredibly loud when played unplugged: almost like an acoustic!

6. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

I played a high-end Ibanez Les Paul copy (PF400) for decades and then did an even trade for a great Strat. Added an SG a few years ago and a Tele. Love them both....but I miss the old Ibanez. Moral of story is keep the Strat for those SRV and Deep Purple moments.

7. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

Forgot to welcome you to the forum. How I wish I had a garage band again...

Darryl Fisher, DanB and Cranex like this.
  8. football27

football27 Member

Congrats on your new SG. They are great guitars and I know you wil enjoy it.

Darryl Fisher and DanB like this.
  9. kongssund

kongssund Member

Congrats. Had the same experience, was just buying strings and went out with a sg :)

football27, Darryl Fisher and DanB like this.
  10. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

You'll discover that many of us didn't plan on buying an SG that one day, but that one day we did.

Mine came to me because one day on the computer I came across an SG Standard in a limited edition finish....and it was a blowout sale. A brand spanking new, unique SG Standard...for just 800 bucks! Including case! Did I wake up that morning saying, "Today I will buy an SG"? No. But I did buy an SG that day. Somehow SGs just seem to find us.

[​IMG]

11. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Member

So true...I went shopping for a Tele back in 2010 and brought home a SG instead (my avatar) that day, still have and love it. It outshined everything else in the store in it’s price range, there was no way I was going to leave without it :)

12. DanB

DanB Active Member

Congrats and Welcome to the SG site. I did the exact opposite as you, I have been playing a Gibson SG since 1979 and only recently purchased my first Stratocaster, a 2010 Fender Standard Stratocaster. (Also own a Gretsch Streamliner). Enjoy playing all 3 but sentimental about my SG because I have been playing it since high school and used it in every band I was in. Welcome again and hope you enjoy your new guitar!
    IMG_20190502_205032_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20190502_204905_hdr.jpg

Here is my "new" Strat (hope you keep on using your Strat as well, I really like mine)
    s-l500.jpg

Darryl Fisher and arcticsg like this.
  13. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Welcome, the SG is a very addictive guitar.

Darryl Fisher and DanB like this.
  14. Les537

Les537 Member

I bought my first SG at the last minute after spending 2 months going over strats to buy. I always avoided them because in my mind it was the AC/DC guitar and I didn't want to be Angus jr.

Turns out that I should have interrupted my stream of Les Pauls and bought an SG 30 years ago. SG, to me, is like a Les Paul improved. Less weight, more neck access and much more comfortable seated playing. The only bad part is getting used to the neck wanting to dive compared to a Les Paul which stays parked.

I'm correcting the error of my ways now and picked up a second SG, ('61 stop bar, my first with dual coils in a very long time) and it sounds and looks awesome and it's red just like AC/DC :dude:

Darryl Fisher likes this.
  15. Darryl Fisher

Darryl Fisher Member

Yeah, I too had that Angus Jr thing...I remembered my Special (also, see av), the ease of playing, the sound thru my (at the time) Fender Tremolux/Traynor bottom (rat rod all the way, but it worked).
    My remorse was when I sold it...a coworker gave me $50, asked to let him have it for a gig that night, promised he'd pay the rest over time on payday, quit his job and never saw him again...
    Ree-morse...
    Got an SG kit, so I won't be without...maybe real,
    later...

16. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Congratulations on finding a guitar you love. Sometimes you don't know what it is you've really been looking for until it jumps out at you.

My first electric guitar in the '80s was an old SG because as a high school kid it was all I could afford. I loved that guitar but all my friends had shiny new imported pointy guitars and super strat knock offs in neon yellow and stuff, and here I was playing a relic from the early '60s with a dull and faded red finish. Eventually I let my bad instincts talk me into selling the SG and getting a newish strat. I never really bonded with the strat and lost interest in guitar for a long time. But eventually I bought a cheap SG and re-learned something: SGs are just what's right for me. I have a couple of other models that I've learned are also perfect in different ways ('82 strats are awesome, '81 and '83 suck but '82? Oh man, they are great) but the SG is always will be my favorite style of guitar.

Glad you are enjoying yours! Rock on!

17. fos1

fos1 Active Member

I experienced the same magic when I bought a cherry red SG in the 70s. It is still there after all these years.

I have several other guitars but nothing has the magic like an SG.

18. Justin

Justin Member

Welcome. Congratulations!!

19. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

This is a fun thread! Welcome to ETSG!

I have nothing against Strats, so now that you're enjoying your SG you
    ought to have your Strat professionally set up by the best Luthier you can find/ afford...
    That will probably make a HUGE difference. It's good to have both... they sound
    different. And both sounds are important. (so are a number of other types --and tones)

But I too am one who was surprised by my response to the first SG I ever bought.
    I simply bonded with an individual guitar, in a Guitar Center store that had a rack of
    them. I wasn't expecting this to happen, and had not come to the store looking for
    a guitar. (I had been browsing catalogs--this was 2008--and had seen the SG faded special
    displayed in one of them). I thought if I was going to buy an electric guitar, it would
    likely be a Strat. *laughs

But just walking through the store, I felt a tug on my spirit, and turned my head, and there...
    ...a rack of SGs... four or five of them at least. I sauntered over, pretending I wasn't interested.
    ... Oh that one, that must be one of those Faded Specials I have seen advertised... it looks a lot
    cooler in person than it did in the catalog. I picked up one on the end. I tuned it, and strummed it.... Yeah yeah... I put it back. I took down the faded special, and tuned it and it came alive
    in my hands, responding sweetly. I strummed it and WOW! ...it rang like a bell.

I put it back, feeling like it had almost burned me. (it had). I took down another one, a black
    one, that was twice the price. It didn't sound as good or respond to my touch in the same way.
    I walked away... I'm NOT buying a guitar today, I'm NOT... I pretended to be interested in the Stratocasters... they had a lot of those. I picked up a few alternative guitars, but wasn't paying
    attention. I kept glancing back at that faded special, hoping that no other gorilla would get his hairy paws on it and realize how great a guitar it was.

Once I realized that I was actually anxious, worried that somebody else would buy that SG,
    I went back. I was like: prove it... my reaction was the same when I took the guitar down again. By this time the salesman came over. He had probably been watching me. *grins...
    I asked if they had a quiet place I could play this guitar. They did. By this time... it was my
    guitar. The salesman knew it, but I didn't know it... anyway, I played it for a good long time in the quiet room, through amps I could not afford, and decided to take the lady home.

Now it's twelve years later and that humble faded special is still the Queen of my music room.
    I've been on the road for forty five years, and played acoustic and bass for most of that. But my SG is the best guitar of any kind that I have ever played. I'm retired now, and have had a lot of changes, but I still have that one. I named her Luna. She's not for sale.
    Luna 3@100.jpg