Katana? Kemper? Mustang? Bah, humbug

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Paul G., Apr 26, 2019.

1. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

New build -- Narrow panel Tweed Deluxe (5E3). Mojotone kit, WGS Speaker. Revoiced the Bright channel for my Gibsons, left the Normal channel stock. 12 Watts on a good day. Loud as hell, more tone than you can use in a week.

Light, small, cuts through beautifully. Don't need no damn computers.

_4250002.jpg.jpg _4250005.jpg.jpg _4250004.jpg.jpg

syscokid, fos1, Gahr and 4 others like this.
  2. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I like computers too, but there ain't nothing wrong with this!

fos1 likes this.
  3. Sweetums

Sweetums Active Member

Hey, how easy is to put together the kit? Do you just need soldering skills or more involved like advanced amp knowledge / equipment? That looks great by the way.

4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Looks nice.

Someday I'm going to build one of those for myself.

5. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I SO want a 5E3 style amp! How does this compare to the real thing?

6. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

Soldering skills are a plus, but easy enough. I highly recommend getting a soldering station with thermostatic control like the Weller WES51 (~$100). Weller and Hakko make ok units for about $50. You will also need a digital multimeter, but it doesn't have to be fancy.

Mojotone has a pretty good instruction book, as do some other kits. If you're just starting, I do recommend a kit with instructions. Go slow, double-check everything, then check it again.

Read this to understand what's what and how it all works: https://robrobinette.com/How_The_5E3_Deluxe_Works.htm#Artificial_Center_Tap

Find out where the filter caps are, and understand that the hot side will have hundreds of volts DC on them once you're plugged in. Capacitors hold a charge for a long time, so learn to avoid and discharge those caps.

Making a simple amp like the 5E3 is not complicated, and it is fun and can be relaxing if you let it be.

I've played real 5E3s and 5D3s, and a couple of boutique clones. The thing I built is pretty damn close, with all the glory, and all the warts. What make a Deluxe a Deluxe is the undersized power transformer, channel interaction, and big coupling caps -- all easily replicated today.

After playing my build for a while, I remembered the farty bass with Gibsons. Fortunately, it's not a valuable vintage piece, and I revoiced the Bright channel for Humbuckers (swap 1 coupling cap). Now I have vintage goodness, plus a bit more useability.

7. Gibsunnyday

Gibsunnyday Active Member

Fantastic amp, but not so good for us bedroom players

Paul G. likes this.