Kiss Fans....

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Six String, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Gene Simmons announced this week on the Today show (while promoting his Family Jewels series) that Kiss is or will be back in the studio and are looking for a tour this fall............... :Bangin: :coolsmiley:

2. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Of course, he also announced he is the best thing since sliced bread! :funny:

3. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge Kiss fan but they do have a few cool songs. I have been watching a cool show on fios that does stories about different bands. So far I have seen shows on Kiss, Metalica, motley crue and red hot chili peppers. I am looking forward to seeing more of those as they are all very interesting to watch.

The show about kiss was very interesting and I had no idea how huge some of those guys shows were. They showed some Kiss concert footage and they had filled a huge stadium. Also, was interesting to see how big Kiss was in other countries. I might not be a huge fan of Kiss but got to admit those guys really had a huge fan base. Even today, there are a ton of Kiss fans. Oh and that Gene guy really knew how to market product tie ins. No telling how many millions of dollars they made doing that.

4. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

they have already toured europe and south america this year... they seem to be carrying some momentum. isnt the first us show in NOLA at the Voodoo music festival in Oct??

5. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=19313.msg233724#msg233724 date=1244256907]
    I'm not a huge Kiss fan but they do have a few cool songs. (my opinion too)
    (cut) Oh and that Gene guy really knew how to market product tie ins. No telling how many millions of dollars they made doing that.
    [/quote]

Gene Simmons is a marketing whiz, I wish I could take some lessons from him on how to promote a band and keep it popular for decades. sometimes I think he has 2 sets of clothes...the KISS outfits and the Armani business suits.

And maybe a lesson on how not to set one's self on fire doing pyrotechnic tricks onstage. (lol)

6. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

I remember I knew about Kiss memorabilia before I had any idea about the actual band. My dad is into plastic model cars and so I've been dragged to more toy shows than I care to count, and there were always at least a couple of guys that sold nothing but Kiss stuff.

I recently watched Detroit Rock City, and even though I'm not overly fond of Kiss's music, that movie is amazing!

7. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

i think KISS had its most full on impact on the "first" generation fans... you yougins dont know what that was like, they were so different and best of all extreme for the time. nowdays they seem tame (some say lame) but i still get that giddy silly ass feeling when i see em. and i get that recall of the first time ever smelling weed being smoked from the first show i ever saw of them HA

8. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

[quote author=vkgphil link=topic=19313.msg234109#msg234109 date=1245033628]
    i think KISS had its most full on impact on the "first" generation fans... you yougins dont know what that was like, they were so different and best of all extreme for the time. nowdays they seem tame (some say lame) but i still get that giddy silly ass feeling when i see em. and i get that recall of the first time ever smelling weed being smoked from the first show i ever saw of them HA
    [/quote]

Whats weed? :angel:

9. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

KISS = Bay City Rollers in makeup :sleepy2:

10. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Who is supposed to be in the line up?

Would I like to see Gene and Paul, sorta, but I'd rather see them with Ace (and Peter). For me, other than and their cool songs and wild performance antics, the biggest reason I choose to be a KISS fan was because of Ace's superb contributions. So many cool and unique chops and solos, many of which became central memorable features of their best songs, and some of my favorite leads.

11. 1Way

1Way Active Member

bradsure
    It's no big surprise that plenty don't like them, they were controversial even back in their hay day. They have been one of the most famous/successful hard rock touring bands,,, ever. Sure they were big on marketing/dramatizing their image, but the fact remains, they made great songs which translated into selling gazillions of albums. Their influence has carried on for decades. Not quite the same can be said of the BC Rollers.

Hehehe, 70's rock rules!!!
    S - A - T-U-R - D - A - Y - NIGHT!

vkgphil
    Good for you. I never saw em, almost did when they were touring with AC/DC and REO Speedwagon. Would have loved to see those shows! Around the same time period herb and I also became acquainted. I would have graduated in '82, one of the last years when hard rock still flourished on the radio. Magical times, good memories, awesome music.

12. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

the reunion tour whatever year that was now was a ton of fun. they stuck to the mark I era tunes and ace was in pretty good form, at least the night i saw em. it was pure nostolgia and was glad to have had that chance.

later with thayer in ace makeup saw em again doing the full range of material felt more of the cashing in vibe to me than the fun vibe. i doubt at this point moving forward i will ever pay to see them again but given the right opportunity with a pass or other 'in' i would go.

the kissology dvds are a good representation of the band, esp the first one. if you missed them then it would be worth a viewing if you can rent/borrow/buy one.

13. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

I've been Kiss fan since Destroyer. That's when I discovered them. Was hooked right away. It expecially ticks me off that the only thing you ever hear on the radio is Rock & Roll all night. A song I used to love but now resent. They have many great tunes. As far as I'm concerned, the latest rendition is not the Kiss I fell in love with. I like Gene and never miss a Family Jewels, but Ace was my influence growing up and the reason I play today. Paul is also a great player when he decides to play. Sometimes he's just too busy hopping around. Oh well!!!

14. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Solid tip, I gotta check out the first disk of kissology. I have some DVD. Unfortunately it seems Ace is not part of the line up. Seems over the years he's been in the line up from time to time. I don't think it's Peter Chris either, bummer. I agree the original KISS lineup is what brought them to fame and fortune and the way I see it, that success was significantly propelled by ace guitarist, Ace Frehley. 8) Frankly I thought Ace provided half the entertainment attraction value from KISS, he was that good. The rest was probably equally important, the entire group performing together.

I really liked Destroyer and parts of numerous albums, overall probably listened to Double Platinum the most. I think that if you isolated Ace Frehley's coolest licks and chops while trying to avoid vocals, without needing to wade through hours of entire albums, I bet that many who are either unfamiliar with or who may generally dislike KISS, would probably love the anonymous sonic sampling. And if they've heard the songs before, which if they are old enough is likely, it will probably drive them crazy until they find out who made the songs.
    :D

15. mikeystool

mikeystool Well-Known Member

i was a BIG fan back in the day (76-80)....then the Dynasty album came out, which i dug(they got me more into the Stones with their cover of 2000 man).. after that i was really turned off by them...i guess punk rock turned me on more...i really hear Aces influence on me...he was deep in my minds hard drive from way back, and he comes out, along with others..i just finally put Destroyer and Alive! on my i-pod the other day...it brings back memories...Dressed to kill was my favorite..nowadays, i cant stand Paul and Gene , they just really turn my stomach...but id have to say, if they played with Peter and Ace, and only played from the 1st record to Love Gun, id like to see it...

16. 8-ball

8-ball Member

[quote author=mikeystool link=topic=19313.msg235353#msg235353 date=1246713260]
    ...Dressed to kill was my favorite..[/quote]

Not a Kiss-fan, but this is one of my all time fav covers:

[​IMG]

17. mikeystool

[quote author=8-ball link=topic=19313.msg235372#msg235372 date=1246731733]
    Not a Kiss-fan, but this is one of my all time fav covers:

[​IMG]
    [/quote]lol that cover is forever etched in my mind!...I love the tune 'Room Service', and the song 'C'mon and Love Me'(from that album) was one of the 1st songs i learned all the way through, way back in the early 80's..

18. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Always liked most of their music, but for whatever reason never bought any albums. Never bought any Stones either, but four Black Sabbaths and a Deep Purple to be named later. Think I need some serious help??? ;D

I did buy a KISS Unplugged CD. Missed it on MTV but heard a few songs on the radio. Caught the concert on VH1 Classics a couple times. Some bands cannot pull off an acoustic set, but KISS did it. Almost any band can play power chords at 11, but pull the plug and hand them an acoustic. That's when we get to see how good they are.

19. mikeystool

[quote author=iblive link=topic=19313.msg235382#msg235382 date=1246746291]
    Always liked most of their music, but for whatever reason never bought any albums. Never bought any Stones either, but four Black Sabbaths and a Deep Purple to be named later. Think I need some serious help??? ;D

I did buy a KISS Unplugged CD. Missed it on MTV but heard a few songs on the radio. Caught the concert on VH1 Classics a couple times. Some bands cannot pull off an acoustic set, but KISS did it. Almost any band can play power chords at 11, but pull the plug and hand them an acoustic. That's when we get to see how good they are.
    [/quote]isnt that unplugged thing around when they 1st got back together?...

20. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

[quote author=mikeystool link=topic=19313.msg235383#msg235383 date=1246746548]
    isnt that unplugged thing around when they 1st got back together?...
    [/quote]
    Recorded August 1995
    Released on CD March 1996
    Per Wikepedia: "On August 9, 1995, hard rock band Kiss performed on MTV Unplugged in what fans consider the beginning of the eventual Kiss Reunion Tour."

Hey, I'm someone... Just got a Gold Star with this post. :)