Language in Canada

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by 8-ball, Nov 12, 2009.

1. 8-ball

8-ball Member

Is it mandatory for children in Canadian schools to learn both English and French?

2. uyasgali

uyasgali Member

3. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

All kids must take a French class until grade 9, after that you can drop it.

Other kids in English speaking areas can also opt to take every class in french, either from the start of their school career or part way through.

I don't know what the rule is in Quebec (the primarily French speaking province) but most people there speak at least some English.

4. mr_dj07

mr_dj07 Member

In quebec, English classes are mandatory 'til the end of college.

French is the main language but yeah a lot of people can talk/understand english pretty well.

What's sad though is that even if kids in the rest of Canada take french classes, I never met anybody who, out of this "program" could speak french.

5. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

..... sounds like Spanish classes in the States. I took 5 years of Spanish but couldn't speak it until I took it in extension classes in the factory........... ;)

6. Zeppelin Rules

[quote author=mr_dj07 link=topic=19951.msg242553#msg242553 date=1259951449]
    In quebec, English classes are mandatory 'til the end of college.

French is the main language but yeah a lot of people can talk/understand english pretty well.

What's sad though is that even if kids in the rest of Canada take french classes, I never met anybody who, out of this "program" could speak french.
    [/quote]

It's true, most people who take core french until grade 9 leave it without any ability to communicate in the language. However there are those exceptions, and like anything it's a matter of practice. I dropped French after grade 10, but I can make myself understood and can read and get the meaning of most French. Granted that may be due in part to the fact that my mother is fluent.

Those who take extended or immersion french will end up with some fluency though. My girlfriend is in immersion and she is fairly fluent.

It's ironic though you're right, most of Canada can't speak or understand much more than the basic "oui" "bonjour" and yet when you're in Montreal nearly everyone understands English.

7. telebutcher

telebutcher Member

Here in the west all French classes are elective unless your in French immersion school.

8. Zeppelin Rules

[quote author=telebutcher link=topic=19951.msg252534#msg252534 date=1287809875]
    Here in the west all French classes are elective unless your in French immersion school.
    [/quote]

Whereabouts do you live?

9. telebutcher

telebutcher Member

I'm in Calgary.