Laptop buying help

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Red devil, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Red devil

Red devil Member

An igloo in the Canadian wilderness of Vancouver
    :wave2:

So I've decided i want to get a laptop...

I'm hoping there are some computer geeks here that can help me(I'm a bit of a computer geek, not that anyone knows it ;D ;D)

I would use it for Schoolwork, Games, Music/video editing/storage/downloading, Recording a bit and obviously surfing the 'net.

Can you recommend some brands and specs to look for?

Here's what I was thinking:
    Intel core 2 duo processor
    2GB ram
    A good graphics card (not sure what though)

Also, I don't need a massive hard drive (120GB would be fine)

Thanks!!

2. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

3. Red devil

Red devil Member

Whoa!!

Those are some sweet ass comps, but unfortunately a bit past my budget...

I want to spend around $1000

An inspiron with a good graphics card would be good.
    I refuse to buy ram from dell ($100 for 1Gb when newegg.com has 2GB for $54.99)
    What are the non-upgradeable parts that i have to buy from dell (im pretty sure dell is awesome)

4. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I use a dell laptop at work and home (typing on it now). I have had very good luck with the inspiron series. I like the 14" display lightweight ones of around 4 1/2 to 5 pounds best. The one I am using right now at home is well over 3 years old and still working fine if that tells you anything. A couple things I have done that I am guessing help reduce hassles for me are:

never use third party upgrades
    never loan out my computers
    always shut down the computer when not in use
    only use a high quality carrying bag for my laptop

I have had multiple dell laptops that have lasted really well even though some of my employees use the same computers and get much shorter lifespans on them. My theory is it comes down to just taking good care of them and not using junk upgrades. I believe in getting the equipment you want right up front for it and then not needing to upgrade. Dell invests alot of money and time testing and sourcing its components and so I just have them build my laptops the way I want. Might cost me a bit more up front but saves in the long run if I can get 3-4 years life off my laptop instead of the 1-2 years I used to get off my compaq laptops at my old company. I do not recommend compaq stuff at all since I had two that didn't last me long.

As an aside, I also use Dell desktops and have had good luck with them too.

5. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

[quote author=q-4000-SG Guy link=topic=15675.msg200121#msg200121 date=1195837425]
    Dell XPS!!!!!
    [/quote]

ive got the M1210... i wanted the smallest laptop I could get that had some horsepower and this was it, for $1800 thou... but its a dream and worth every penny. i can run office and photoshop while listening to music and browse the web pretty much at the same time. im about to see how well it works to record with.

ironic that the larger versions are less expensive... >:(

6. Red devil

Red devil Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=15675.msg200174#msg200174 date=1195861921]

never use third party upgrades

[/quote]

Why not??

It saves a lot money and you can actually get better parts than dell has. I really doubt dell is giving you the best parts possible (ram etc.) and even if they were they are still overcharging a lot.

7. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

8. Red devil

Red devil Member

I'm canadian so the site is different...

I'm going to buy ram separately from the laptop (save lots of cash)
    Im also going to get a dvd burner i think.

What is a good graphic card size? 128 or 256 are the choices for dells

9. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

most dells come with 2GB RAM now and 250 GB hard drives as far as grafix cards the only one bigger than 128 i beleve is on the XPS seres

10. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

Hey Red, I do consulting work for a Dell vendor and know from first hand experience that Dell invests a huge amount of time and effort to test and screen their products. The problem with 3rd party upgrades is you never know what quality you will be getting. If you are willing to do your homework and get good quality stuff and configure and install it properly, it can be fine and does save some money. For me, I just don't have the time to stay current on who and what is the best option for laptop add ons so I always just stick to Dell. I trust them and have had great luck with the brand... both laptops and desktops.

11. Red devil

Red devil Member

I won't be buying it for a couple of months so i'll have time to shop around and read reviews.

My older brother knows a bit about computers and he himself has upgraded the RAM on his laptop so I've got someone to help me : )

BTW, how much RAM do you need to run Vista? And when is Vista's first service pack coming out?

12. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

[quote author=Red devil link=topic=15675.msg200264#msg200264 date=1195932248]
    I won't be buying it for a couple of months so i'll have time to shop around and read reviews.

My older brother knows a bit about computers and he himself has upgraded the RAM on his laptop so I've got someone to help me : )

BTW, how much RAM do you need to run Vista? And when is Vista's first service pack coming out?
    [/quote]
    2GB min. Knowing Microsoft probly not for 3-5 years

13. Red devil

Red devil Member

3-5!!!!!!

I was thinking a couple months....

14. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

it just came out SP1 for XP took like 2 years Vista was suposed to be out like 2 years ago so im guessing it will take longer to go to SP1 rember when buying memory there is a reason why some is VERY CHEEP! and its best to get a matched set! personaly i have been very pleased with dell there parts are a little more BUT installing non dell spesified memory voids the warrenty!

15. Red devil

Red devil Member

Hmmmm....

I now have a dilemma.

Couldn't I just take the 3rd party RAM out and replace the factory stuff?

16. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Personally I would never buy a Dell but thats just me. My sister has a Dell desktop that had the hardrive fry on her and when we sent it back for replacement we got it back without any of the drivers installed for any of the hardware so the CD drive and the ethernet card didn't work. The thing is also incapable of doing more than two things at once, ie you can't type and run word at the same time. I was very lucky when I got my computer because a friend of my dad's builds computers for a living, so I got one completely custom built for around $1200. Admittedly its probably a bit out of date now as its 3 years old, but for my purposes it works very well.

17. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

18. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=15675.msg200275#msg200275 date=1195934819]
    Personally I would never buy a Dell but thats just me. My sister has a Dell desktop that had the hardrive fry on her and when we sent it back for replacement we got it back without any of the drivers installed for any of the hardware so the CD drive and the ethernet card didn't work. The thing is also incapable of doing more than two things at once, ie you can't type and run word at the same time. I was very lucky when I got my computer because a friend of my dad's builds computers for a living, so I got one completely custom built for around $1200. Admittedly its probably a bit out of date now as its 3 years old, but for my purposes it works very well.
    [/quote]Dell's low end desktops are know for being slow! the XPS line is where the money goes. you get what you pay for!

19. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

20. Red devil

Red devil Member

I've been googleing and i found a leaked beta of vista SP1...

Apparently it makes a huge difference for people that use it (It would be fine until the real sp1 comes out).
    I think microsoft might try to release the Service pack earlier this time (I think their goal was december or something...)