Laptop buying help

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Red devil, Nov 23, 2007.

1. SG Steve

SG Steve Member

Dont skimp on the cpu or ram. If it's a vista box, forget 1024 and go for 2 gigs of memory. Sitting idle mine uses almost a gig of ram. Core 2 duo is the way to go. Avoid centrino processors if you like to game. I noticed you want the better gpu so I figured you were a fellow gamer. If I were looking at a lappy as a portable desktop replacement, I'd look at the minimum req's for my fave game and add 25% or as much as your wallet can stand.

2. Red devil

Red devil Member

An igloo in the Canadian wilderness of Vancouver
    2 gigs for sure.
    Yes I want to pay some games : )

How important is Cpu for gaming?

3. SG Steve

SG Steve Member

It depends on what kind of game and how graphic intensive. Some of the newer games scan your system now, and wont install if you don't meet the minimum req's... Games like Half-life 2 and Counter-strike:Source need lots of horsepower to run at what I consider an enjoyable level with no stuttering, 100+fps and max eye-candy. This calls for a good GPU, and not some built in underpowered pig that takes it's memory from the system and borrows cycles from the CPU. It's not too hard to find one with 256mb or even dual GPU in sli. A dedicated GPU with it's own memory is the only way to go.

Two years ago I got a top of the line HP with a 17 inch screen. It had a good middle of the road card w/256mb vid ram - A 3.4 P4 and 2 gigs of system memory. It would play HL-2 based games on high settings and Battlefield 2 on medium. It weighs a little shy of ten pounds, but I didn't intend on it to be an ultra-portable email and web surfer. So I knew what I was getting into and it was a desktop replacement I could travel with, and play my games at night to pass the time.

4. Red devil

Red devil Member

100fps!!! That's a lot : )

I'm no hardcore gamer so it isn't as important to me. I'm getting a dedicated card for sure, just not sure if i need to max everything out...

If I get a lower end card, i can get a better processor...

5. kaka

kaka Member

i own a HP Compaq AMD 1.9ghz, 2 gb ram, blah blah

i saved this link up thinking it might come handy one day. and wallah. it did.

6. Red devil

Red devil Member

Thanks for the article kaka!

And here's the news:
    I ordered My very own M1530!!

I don't have it yet but it is in shipping and scheduled to come on Monday!

I ended up getting a lower spec after reading a bit and it should be awesome.
    I got the better graphic card(Geforce 8600GT Gddr3, the best you can get in a laptop that isn't a 7lb 3000$ gaming beast) so that I can actually play Bioshock!

From the pics I've seen it's pretty sweet looking and it's got the power for my needs.
    I'll get some pics of it when it comes (If I have time, Ive been mega busy lately)

7. Red devil

Red devil Member

Well I got the laptop about a week ago and I've been to busy messing around with it to post : )

It's really cool looking and performs quite well. COD 4 and Bioshock run great on it. The only gripes i've got are a super high pitched sound that is just barely audible that comes on every once in a while and also various vista woes.
    The hard drive is kind of noisy sometimes to because of the case design (Thin aluminum palmrest)

All in all, It's a good machine that SHOULD last a little while : )

8. snodly

snodly New Member

[quote author=Red devil link=topic=15675.msg204571#msg204571 date=1201150330]
    Well I got the laptop about a week ago and I've been to busy messing around with it to post : )

It's really cool looking and performs quite well. COD 4 and Bioshock run great on it. The only gripes i've got are a super high pitched sound that is just barely audible that comes on every once in a while and also various vista woes.
    The hard drive is kind of noisy sometimes to because of the case design (Thin aluminum palmrest)

All in all, It's a good machine that SHOULD last a little while : )
    [/quote]

Is Bioshock a good game? I've been thinking about getting it. What are the PC requirements?

9. Red devil

Red devil Member

Some people think it's amazing, other's don't like it. It did get IGN's game of the year so i guess that must means something...

It is kind of creepy/freaky and I have jumped more than a couple times though : )

Copied from ign:

Minimum Requirements:
    CPU: Pentium 4 2.4GHz Single Core processor
    System RAM: 1GB
    Video Card: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 128MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI X1550)
    Sound Card: 100% direct X 9.0c compatible sound card
    Hard disc space: 8GB free space
    Important Note: Game requires Internet connection for activation

Recommended Requirements:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    System RAM: 2GB
    Video card - DX9: Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better)
    Video card - DX10: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster X-Fi series (Optimized for use with Creative Labs EAX ADVANCED HD 4.0 or EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compatible sound cards)

That said, you could always run it at lower resolutions and it would still be a great game. Maybe watch some youtube videos or something and see if it's what you like. If not, the orange box is definitely a good buy, I have wasted many guitar practicing hours playing team fortress.

10. snodly

snodly New Member

Thanks for the info on the game it seems like it would be fun. I've got most of the pc requirements. Prolly should get a sound card soon though the 7.1 onboard really isn't too bad.

11. Red devil

Red devil Member

Sound card won't matter for the game if that's what you're saying...

Unless you simply must have the best i guess : )

12. snodly

snodly New Member

If I could afford the best lol.

13. SG Steve

SG Steve Member

Hey, if you guys play Team Fortress 2 or Counter-strike: Source, I am partial owner of two tf2 servers and two cs:s..Stop by and play anytime.

www.theelders.net

14. Red devil

Red devil Member

Hey cool!

TF2 is great, I don't play CS though because I already have COD4, Bioshock and the Orange box and the only games I've beaten are COD4 and portal. I wish that I hated videogames.... I'd waste less time

15. Red devil

Red devil Member

Where is your server though?

I live in BC, right above Washington state and I enjoy seeing that "Ping= 20" when I use seattle servers. : ) Not sure how much of a difference it makes though

16. SG Steve

SG Steve Member