Laptop Suggestions

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by peterbright, Jan 12, 2007.

1. peterbright

peterbright Active Member

I'm looking to pick up a new laptop for personal use and am looking for suggestions. I want a 17" screen and would be using it for light gaming, office apps & music editing.

2. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Active Member

Hi Peter.....I am sitting at a rather Spiffy hp Pavilion Entertainment Laptop. Certainly has everything you've mentioned. O0
    In fact......Her Ladyship was so impressed that she too has one! No more PCs for us (Space being an issue).

Bearing in mind that I know nothing about these wretched machines....I sent the spec to various friends whose knowledge outstrips mine by Light Years and everyone thus far reckons that we have some pretty Good Machines.

Worth a checking out. http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/pr...rch/home/HP Pavilion Entertainment PC_RG383UA

Pip Pip
    Lexie :)

3. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

We use Dell exclusively here, and having been thru several manufactures over the years, I am very well please with Dell's reliability and perfomance

I have had more nightmares with HP, Compaq, Acer and the like than I care to elaborate on

The Dell XPS notebooks are a very nice piece of kit . . . the M1710 is not inexpensive by any means, but it is a real cooker

The Inspiron 9400 is also a good option for a few hundered dollars less

4. vic108

vic108 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think of getting a laptop so I can work
    anywhere in my house and not be chained to a desk
    with a big desktop on it.

But really, does it work out OK?

Do you some times miss a desktop?

5. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

I have been using a laptop exclusively for the past 7-8 years
    . . . I would never go back

6. peterbright

Most of my friends think that for most things, they don't see how you can beat a laptop. Screen size is an issue for some applications.

7. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

well . . . you could always run an larger monitor off of it, if you needed extra the screen real estate
    . . . pretty much every laptop I've seen has an external vga port

8. Ne_buddy

Ne_buddy Member

A MacBook with 2GB of RAM = Smoking!

And OS X is killer. I use PCs at various places too, but Apple's OS is my idea of good design. You'll pay more up front, but the ease of use will save you time & frustration. The money you can always get more of, but time & peace of mind? Not so much.

Once you try Mac you'll never go back.

9. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

[quote author=Ne_buddy link=topic=11992.msg156185#msg156185 date=1168650214]

Once you try Mac you'll never go back.

[/quote]

unless of course, you get a job in the real world - where 90% or better installations are not Mac
    . . . then you'll have to get used to running a PC

10. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

im on my second Dell XPS M1210 with the upgrades... i absolutely will not use any other.

my first one was stolen... >:(

11. Cooltouch

Cooltouch Active Member

I'm typing on an eMachines notebook I bought at BestBuy three years ago. Still going strong, hasn't missed a lick. Mine has a 15.8" widescreen, which I really like, not just for 'puter use, but it's also great for watching DVDs. If I had to go back to a desktop, I'd feel like I'd be in chains, to be honest.

You want to pay attention to other items besides just screen width, though. For example, the way the scroll function works -- which imitates a mouse scroll wheel -- might not be to your liking on all the machines you try out. Make sure that the features it has are features you feel comfortable with.

Best,

Michael

12. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

i know what you mean about feeling in chains on a desktop.

my xps is only a 12" widescreen, but i wanted a light weight machine. this thing is optimised for Vista so when it comes out i get a free upgrade to it. I have the upgraded video and audio cards so this this is wonderful for dvds and hopefully soon i will be using it for some recording. it runs photoshop beautifully. the battery runs over 3 hrs between charges too. it does get warm but not hot on the bottom and is actually pretty quiet. the thing feels solid for weighing under 5 lbs, the keyboard feels solid, the screen is bright and clear. has a built in SD card reader too which is perfect for me since both my cameras use SD cards. I cant think of one thing i dont like about this. Of course its gonna set you back $1900 for it...

its like those harmony central reviews that ask if you would buy another if stolen... well my first one was stolen with a tv, two guitars (incl my goth sg) and other things... the laptop is the one thing i immediately replaced. i looked at a bunch of other ones first just to have due dilligence that there wasnt another one i would like as well, but this one imho is a superior laptop.

13. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

I'm fortunate in that my employer keeps me well equipped
    . . . the machine I am using is 3 1/2 years old, but was top of the line at the time
    . . . and still a pretty nice machine

Dell Inspiron 8500
    P4 2.4 GHZ, 1 Gig RAM, 40 gig HD, DVD +/- RW, nVidia GeForce 64mb video, 15.4" WUXGA

I am due for a replacement this year, and I can get pretty much whatever I want . . . so . . . I will!

14. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

inspirons are very good machines... those are the 'business class' models our company uses too.

15. peterbright

I'll be shopping around. We use Dells at the office, but they never buy anything top notch as they are used for powerpoit presentations & not for much else. The last couple were just under $500.

16. Melj

Melj Member

To respond to an earlier poster, I have a job in the real world...and am typing this on my macbook. I don't work on my home PC so I don't worry about application issues, i can run everything I need at home on this machine.

Other than macs, the only laptop I could actually recommend in all conscience would be an IBM. Everything else i've had in the past hasn't stood up to the 'road', so to speak. YMMV.

17. hellsbellsx81

hellsbellsx81 Member

whatever you get just make sure it is winodws vista capable.

18. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

[quote author=Melj link=topic=11992.msg156740#msg156740 date=1168810310]
    To respond to an earlier poster, I have a job in the real world...and am typing this on my macbook. I don't work on my home PC so I don't worry about application issues, i can run everything I need at home on this machine.

Other than macs, the only laptop I could actually recommend in all conscience would be an IBM. Everything else i've had in the past hasn't stood up to the 'road', so to speak. YMMV.
    [/quote]

that would have been me . . . and I do work at home, and on the road, and plug in at multiple sites where I need access to the same applications and information . . . so for me, a PC compatible is the only way to go

As far as durability goes, my Dell has been all over the country, through aiports and toted back and forth from home and to points all over the city I work for, sat in stifling hot and freezing cold vehicles for hours on end . . . and I have never had any issues with it . . . keep any decent laptop in a proper protective case, and it will stand up just fine

A mac would probably be sufficient for home use only . . . though I would still recommend a PC compatible
    . . . I have nothing personal against macs, just see no need to sacrifice mainstream compatibility for the sake of being different

19. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

[quote author=hellsbellsx81 link=topic=11992.msg156744#msg156744 date=1168812290]
    whatever you get just make sure it is winodws vista capable.
    [/quote]

I dread the thought of another O/S migration . . . I just recently got rid of my last 98 machine

20. peterbright

[quote author=gotdabluz link=topic=11992.msg156794#msg156794 date=1168825319]
    I dread the thought of another O/S migration . . . I just recently got rid of my last 98 machine

[/quote]

Amen