Led Zep News

Discussion in 'Upcoming Events' started by sgtbeefheart, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Kevy Nova

Kevy Nova Well-Known Member

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=17761.msg220614#msg220614 date=1224105138]
    I also would be concerned that Page might not really be up to the task. He was a fantastic guitarist (one of my very favorites) but at his age, I have to wonder if he can still pull off some of those riffs? Some of those Zep songs are not exactly pushover guitar leads.
    [/quote]

I agree, but to be honest, Page hasn't been up to the task in almost 30 years. Live Aid, The ARMS tour and Atlantic Records' 40th anniversary were all complete disasters for him. I think he needs to go away and let us remember how great he was 40 years ago.

2. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Who would have believed it back then that he would be in the Olympics closing ceremony
    duetting with the winner of The X Factor? :oops:

3. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I wasn't even going to mention the olympics things but since you did... was I the only one that thought Page sounded very sloppy on that one? It could have just been a case of him taking the money but his heart wasn't really in that craziness but still... makes me a little concerned about Page pulling off a concert tour.

4. JWest

JWest Member

[quote author=Kevy Nova link=topic=17761.msg220636#msg220636 date=1224139826]
    The ARMS tour and Atlantic Records' 40th anniversary were all complete disasters for him.
    [/quote]
    Really? I heard they sounded great at the Atlantic Records reunion. But thats all hearsay and I haven't really heard anything from it other than crappy video's on youtube that were taken with phone's.
    Still though for me, if plant joined the band and they went on tour i'd still love to see them play. For me and alot of my friends It would probably be the only chance in our lifetimes to see them play.

5. oldrockfan

no doubt about it... if Plant signs up so it is the 3 original surviving members the tour would be a huge event. I could easily see tickets going for $200 range which doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out would be a bunch of money for the band as well as the promoters.

6. Kevy Nova

[quote author=JWest link=topic=17761.msg220662#msg220662 date=1224170635]
    Really? I heard they sounded great at the Atlantic Records reunion. But thats all hearsay and I haven't really heard anything from it other than crappy video's on youtube that were taken with phone's.
    [/quote]

I was referring to the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary that was in 1988. They did Kashmir, Misty Mountain Hop, Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker, Stairway and it was a complete train wreck for Page. Everyone else sounded good but he was a disaster, just like Live Aid and ARMS. It aired on live TV only once but after that, Page only allowed them to show two of the songs, heavily edited. It's hard to find the original broadcast but here is one of the songs that Page didn't want to be seen again.
    Watch this video, if you dare:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNzW4KAq8WQ[/youtube]

7. oldrockfan

was that real or one of those dub things where someone overtracks a crappy solo?

8. Kevy Nova

[quote author=oldrockfan link=topic=17761.msg220707#msg220707 date=1224211401]
    was that real or one of those dub things where someone overtracks a crappy solo?
    [/quote]

Haha, it does sound like one of those but unfortunately, it's really Page. I taped this (on BETAMAX!) in '88 when it was shown live and I remember being completely let down by it. The only song that didn't completely blow was "Kashmir" because there was no guitar solo in that song!

As much of an influence Page's playing was on me when I was a teenager, I have to say that I have heard way more bad live recordings of him than good. I think he should just stay in the studio.

9. JWest

JWest Member

[quote author=Kevy Nova link=topic=17761.msg220712#msg220712 date=1224213514]
    Haha, it does sound like one of those but unfortunately, it's really Page. I taped this (on BETAMAX!) in '88 when it was shown live and I remember being completely let down by it. The only song that didn't completely blow was "Kashmir" because there was no guitar solo in that song!

As much of an influence Page's playing was on me when I was a teenager, I have to say that I have heard way more bad live recordings of him than good. I think he should just stay in the studio.
    [/quote]

Ohh man thats horrible! It seems like Plant starts off a little shakey too but by the end of the song he seems to be doing alright.... Page on the other hand..... WOW. :shocked:

10. oldrockfan

I thought PLant was doing pretty well. IF you listened close you could notice the high notes were tough on him and he had a tendency to be just a touch flat on some of them but his general tone was still good ole Plant to me. Page on the other hand just didn't have the chops he used to have.

I guess if they do another tour maybe a second guitarist wouldn't be such a bad idea after all. Better to round out the sound and maybe take some of the pressure off of Page so he can enjoy the experience and focus on re-establishing certain chops on each song rather than having to hold it all together.

11. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

I've seen Page quite a few times, from Zep back to the Yardbirds. The guy is brilliant in the studio and a great writer, but live?........yewouch!!!

12. guitarweasel

guitarweasel Well-Known Member

Someone else I've seen a few times that was even sloppier......

HENDRIX.......[​IMG]

13. JWest

JWest Member

[quote author=guitarweasel link=topic=17761.msg220724#msg220724 date=1224258475]
    Someone else I've seen a few times that was even sloppier......

HENDRIX.......[​IMG]
    [/quote]

Oh thats wrong!!!! lol C'mon man, it's Hendrix!!
    While we're on the subject. I saw the Allman brothers fri night and that was the best show i've ever seen. AMAZING!
    Anyways sorry for being a little off topic. :)

14. oldrockfan

If you had the chance to see Hendrix live, you should consider yourself lucky! Maybe not the cleanest live guitarist but from the DVDs I've seen and heard... he had some serious mojo going on live!!!

15. Kevy Nova

I really wish I could've seen Hendrix. My dad saw Hendrix, Zeppelin, The Who and a ton of others. I've listened to hundreds of live bootlegs and Hendrix did have his "off" nights but I think he had many more where he was on. My dad told me that when he saw Jimi in '68, Hendrix broke a string during "Red House" and instead of changing guitars, he replaced and tuned the string while playing his solo one-handed! THAT is something I would give a leg to have seen!

16. oldrockfan

I got to see my share of cool bands back in the days when you could go see pretty much any concert for under $20. Oh yes, the good ole days :roll: Unfortunately Hendrix and Led are two that Iv'e never seen live.

17. Kevy Nova

I would love to have seen Zeppelin in their prime but I wouldn't pay to see them now. At least I can tell my grand-kids that I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jeff Healey! R.I.P. both of you.

18. sgtbeefheart

19. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

20. sgtbeefheart

I don't remember that, but it may well have been.

Ten Years After were one of the most boring experiences ever, even worse than Skynyrd's Freebird. ;D