Left-handed players: How do you feel about left handed guitars?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Wookiee, Nov 6, 2014.

1. Wookiee

Wookiee Active Member

I am primarily a left-handed person, but I play on right-handed guitars. I've often thought about what it would be like to play a lefty. Like, would my picking feel more accurate? Would I have more stamina when playing faster, more demanding songs? Would my neck playing suffer? I guess not with practice and dedication, but that's neither here nor there.

The main question I wanted to ask was this:

If you are a lefty player, what are your thoughts on the look of left-handed guitars? Do you like the look? Does it seem... "off" to you? Or has it been something that you've always liked/prefer?

I can't adjust to them; it just feels so strange when I look at a lefty guitar. Especially something like a Strat. Just interested to hear a lefty player's thoughts on lefty guitars.

2. oldleftySG

oldleftySG Active Member

Every now and then I'll have a "hmmm...that looks odd..." moment, but since I'm constantly looking at my stable of a dozen or so leftys they look pretty normal to me.

I notice it like when Paul McCartney picks up his Les Paul. Maybe you notice it less with the more symmetrical guitars? I think McCartney is quoted as saying that's what attracted him to the Hofner in the first place- that is looked pretty much the same lefty or righty (plus it was a lot cheaper at the time than Fenders).

3. Wookiee

Wookiee Active Member

Never knew that about McCartney. Cool.

I definitely notice it on a Les Paul, but a LP doesn't look as odd to me as a left Strat or SG. I dunno. Thanks for the reply!

4. Dreamscape

Dreamscape Active Member

Being a lefty player all I can say is how much it sucks looking at all the incredible right hand guitars available, while we get lumbered with bottom of the range models in BLACK mostly.
    I have had that many fights with distributors in Oz on the subject of the lacklustre models they bring in to the country.
    You guys in the USA get a much better choice on the lefty guitar front.
    This is the biggest Ibanez dealer in Oz have a look at the crap range of lefties & the other distros are pretty much the same.
    Left Hand Guitars at Ibanez Guitar Centre
    Anyways thats my whinge over for the day :)

potatofarmer likes this.
  5. oldleftySG

oldleftySG Active Member

Yeah, they almost force you to build them yourself.... :D

[​IMG]

potatofarmer likes this.
  6. potatofarmer

potatofarmer Member

Looks? Pretty much the same as righties to me as far as aesthetics go, just a mirror image or an enantiomer (for the nerds).

Being on stage with an opposite-handed guitarist is tricky though. I prefer standing stage right so I'm not in a sword fight all night.

I think I've shared this example before; a friend of mine learned to play on one of my guitars, so he was a righty playing lefty for a few years. I lost touch with him for a decade, but after a while he found he had to switch to righty if he wanted to advance his playing. Fretting was still a breeze, but his non-dominant hand couldn't keep up with fingerpicking and such. Of course, another righty friend learned to play drums on my (lefty) set, and he stuck with it lefty, but he was already a classically trained pianist, so he could probably play drums underwater without much difficulty... Plus you can reconfigure a drumset in 30 seconds, so he must've liked the opposite-hand orientation.

Dick Dale style playing looks all sorts of weird to me though.