Les Trem II Not Playing Nice with SG Modern

tuna

Reaction score
Hi everyone and happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

This is my first post, but only because I am new to the SG (and Gibson in general). So, I will be hopefully be contributing regularly going forward. Since this is my first post, I figured I'd get the backstory out of the way now.

I've always been a Fender guy. It's what I learned on and what my ears were used to, for better or worse. I started thinking otherwise after I tore some tissue in my fretting hand playing (ironically) a riff from War Pigs. I am classically trained and took lessons from a well-known teacher in my area, so I am pretty sure it wasn't poor technique. Anyway, the tissue never healed properly so I played less and less over the years.

I tried all sorts of guitars, but couldn't get away from Fenders because I was so used to the sound, and especially the various tremolo systems. After dealing with several poorly-built Fenders, I switched to G&L. I own (trying to sell) a beautiful Legacy 2HB. The guitar is perfect in every way, except it hurts my hands. For years I dealt with the pain but I just can't do it any more.

Last year, I stumbled across the SG modern. When I read the specs, I had this very strong feeling that it would work for me. So I ordered one... since no one had any due to the pandemic.It took about 9 months to get it, but when I got it I was stunned at how there was no pain at all.

Because of the excellent electronics/configuration and my Guyatone EQ, I can come close enough to getting the sounds I am used to, so I'm happy there. It also doesn't hurt that the blueberry fade makes her an absolute beauty. BUT the tremolo... I just can't find anything suitable. I bought and sold a Les Trem II. It's a good idea, but it kept pulling forward, no matter how much I tightened it down. Maybe I needed more suitable bushings, or even a roller bridge, but I spent so many hours on it and just couldn't get it right. The slightest movement would knock it out of tune. Sometimes I could bring it back somewhat by pulling it just the right amount in the opposite direction, but it was hit or miss because not at all of the strings detuned evenly.

I am not at all a Bigsby fan, so that's not really a consideration. It's awesome for many people, but I just can't do what I need to do with it. I don't need to do EVH dive bombs, but only because it's not my style... Not because he wasn't beyond amazing. My favorite guitar players are Randy Rhoads and Mike McCready. The amount of travel I need is similar to Mike's style on his strats... Nothing crazy.

I really wanted the Les Trem to work. I don't know if I should revisit it and take it to the luthier near me (Stutzman's for anyone in the western NY area; I swear by their work). The only other choice I can come up with is a Floyd Rose FRX, but that seems so extreme. Very expensive too, but if I have to pay for one, I'll find a way to I suppose.

Hopefully this isn't too long-winded... I wanted to introduce myself and say I'm glad I found this forum. Once thing I can say for certain is the SG modern has brought me back into the world of guitar. I never thought I'd be able to play the way I wanted to again and, with the exception of the trem, My passion is writing and I haven't done that in close to 20 years. Because of the SG, I am working on recording/mixing/mastering the third song since I've had it. I can't wait to share it on Youtube! So it goes without saying that selling this guitar to buy one with a stock trem is NOT an option. I realize it's sacrilege to some to put a trem on an SG, and I feel that way myself to an extent. But I have no choice. I also know people say you can do "some" trem-like sounds with a trem, but I have a enough of a technique developed from playing since I was 16 to know that it's not enough for my style. To each their own; I respect all viewpoints on this.

I guess it boils down to three options as I see it:

1. Get the Floyd Rose FRX, even though it's pretty aggressive and expensive. I would always TRY to find a way to work around installing the locking nut.

2. Revisit the Les Trem II and get more appropriate bushings and/or bridge.

3. Leave it as a hard tail, which I really don't like. I'll fester in my obsessive brain forever!

Please provide any and all thoughts you may have! I look forward to chatting with everyone!

Thank you!

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Hi everyone and happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!

This is my first post, but only because I am new to the SG (and Gibson in general). So, I will be hopefully be contributing regularly going forward. Since this is my first post, I figured I'd get the backstory out of the way now.

I've always been a Fender guy. It's what I learned on and what my ears were used to, for better or worse. I started thinking otherwise after I tore some tissue in my fretting hand playing (ironically) a riff from War Pigs. I am classically trained and took lessons from a well-known teacher in my area, so I am pretty sure it wasn't poor technique. Anyway, the tissue never healed properly so I played less and less over the years.

I tried all sorts of guitars, but couldn't get away from Fenders because I was so used to the sound, and especially the various tremolo systems. After dealing with several poorly-built Fenders, I switched to G&L. I own (trying to sell) a beautiful Legacy 2HB. The guitar is perfect in every way, except it hurts my hands. For years I dealt with the pain but I just can't do it any more.

Last year, I stumbled across the SG modern. When I read the specs, I had this very strong feeling that it would work for me. So I ordered one... since no one had any due to the pandemic.It took about 9 months to get it, but when I got it I was stunned at how there was no pain at all.

Because of the excellent electronics/configuration and my Guyatone EQ, I can come close enough to getting the sounds I am used to, so I'm happy there. It also doesn't hurt that the blueberry fade makes her an absolute beauty. BUT the tremolo... I just can't find anything suitable. I bought and sold a Les Trem II. It's a good idea, but it kept pulling forward, no matter how much I tightened it down. Maybe I needed more suitable bushings, or even a roller bridge, but I spent so many hours on it and just couldn't get it right. The slightest movement would knock it out of tune. Sometimes I could bring it back somewhat by pulling it just the right amount in the opposite direction, but it was hit or miss because not at all of the strings detuned evenly.

I am not at all a Bigsby fan, so that's not really a consideration. It's awesome for many people, but I just can't do what I need to do with it. I don't need to do EVH dive bombs, but only because it's not my style... Not because he wasn't beyond amazing. My favorite guitar players are Randy Rhoads and Mike McCready. The amount of travel I need is similar to Mike's style on his strats... Nothing crazy.

I really wanted the Les Trem to work. I don't know if I should revisit it and take it to the luthier near me (Stutzman's for anyone in the western NY area; I swear by their work). The only other choice I can come up with is a Floyd Rose FRX, but that seems so extreme. Very expensive too, but if I have to pay for one, I'll find a way to I suppose.

Hopefully this isn't too long-winded... I wanted to introduce myself and say I'm glad I found this forum. Once thing I can say for certain is the SG modern has brought me back into the world of guitar. I never thought I'd be able to play the way I wanted to again and, with the exception of the trem, My passion is writing and I haven't done that in close to 20 years. Because of the SG, I am working on recording/mixing/mastering the third song since I've had it. I can't wait to share it on Youtube! So it goes without saying that selling this guitar to buy one with a stock trem is NOT an option. I realize it's sacrilege to some to put a trem on an SG, and I feel that way myself to an extent. But I have no choice. I also know people say you can do "some" trem-like sounds with a trem, but I have a enough of a technique developed from playing since I was 16 to know that it's not enough for my style. To each their own; I respect all viewpoints on this.

I guess it boils down to three options as I see it:

1. Get the Floyd Rose FRX, even though it's pretty aggressive and expensive. I would always TRY to find a way to work around installing the locking nut.

2. Revisit the Les Trem II and get more appropriate bushings and/or bridge.

3. Leave it as a hard tail, which I really don't like. I'll fester in my obsessive brain forever!

Please provide any and all thoughts you may have! I look forward to chatting with everyone!

Thank you!
WOW, Thanks, HAPPY FATHERS DAY TO YOU TOO !

How many washers did you put under the Les Trem II posts? Is the same number of washers on each side? I have LT-II's on @ least 5 GIBSON's and they all RULE: 2 SG's and a Lester, Firebird and Explorer..... all Standards...and they all ROCK and do exactly what they are supposed to do...I highly recommend the DOOZY LT-II's.....IIRC, I used two of the supplied washers on each post....it is important to use the washers as you will scratch the **** out of the guitar if you dont use enough of them...IDK about tightening it down too much ? I just made sure the post going down was snug to the washers and the LT-II not touching with the arm depressed full swing..... and 1/8th turn to make sure it would stay put.....I did not tighten the **** out of it....

You say it was 'Pulling forward'? IDK what that means other than when you use it it somehow tilting forward? the rear where the strings go into it? or the front where the curve in the lower body of it ? BOTH would be tilting, and should not be when arm is not engaged... I used just enough washers to get the full tilt of the arm, and no less..and made sure the LT-II was not touching the body of the guitar.....if you used too many washers, say more than two, try removing one or two, on each post, but just dont scratch the guitar, u kno? I have a MODERN SG Standard with an LT-II and its BAD-A$$ ! I had to change the 490's out but that did not affect the LT-II, which has been on it since right after I got the guitar....

I cant help but think that the LT-II is somehow not on the guitar correctly... although it is pretty straight forward installation.....and pretty hard to screw up.....but I could imagine someone screwing it up if they did not bother to read the supplied instructions...sorry to hear this...IMO, the 'Doozy's ROCK ! Have yet to fail me.....
************IMPORTANT***********
another thing is the LT-II has to be put on in such a way that the posts are tightened a little at a time on each side, not by tightening one side down and then the other...that would be a disaster and it says so in the instructions? IIRC ? I AM A STUBBORN **** AND WOULD NEVER GIVE UP ON IT AS I KNOW THE LT-II'S ROCK, but..... YMMV ? it shouldn't but it might...R U sure its a real 'Duesenberg' Les Trem II Tremolo? and not a knock off POS ? They are not sold in the USA, as far as I know...I bought most of mine from the manufacturer in Germany...one or two from dealers in the UK....Northwest Guitars in Liverpool, IIRC ? Black 'Duesenberg' box with styro-foam holding the unit w/instructions underneath...with a plastic bag holding supplied hardware and hex keys ! there are also two different size bolts and if you used the wrong ones you would seriously strip the post insert bushings on the guitar, the wrong ones might go on but it would cause problems, I am sure.
Doozy LT-II's are a marvel of German engineering, I suspect something is not right.... ..just my hunch.

Last edited:

tuna

Reaction score

How many washers did you put under the Les Trem II posts? Is the same number of washers on each side? I have LT-II's on @ least 5 GIBSON's and they all RULE: 2 SG's and a Lester, Firebird and Explorer..... all Standards...and they all ROCK and do exactly what they are supposed to do...I highly recommend the DOOZY LT-II's.....IIRC, I used two of the supplied washers on each post....it is important to use the washers as you will scratch the **** out of the guitar if you dont use enough of them...IDK about tightening it down too much ? I just made sure the post going down was snug to the washers and the LT-II not touching with the arm depressed full swing..... and 1/8th turn to make sure it would stay put.....I did not tighten the **** out of it....

You say it was 'Pulling forward'? IDK what that means other than when you use it it somehow tilting forward? the rear where the strings go into it? or the front where the curve in the lower body of it ? BOTH would be tilting, and should not be when arm is not engaged... I used just enough washers to get the full tilt of the arm, and no less..and made sure the LT-II was not touching the body of the guitar.....if you used too many washers, say more than two, try removing one or two, on each post, but just dont scratch the guitar, u kno? I have a MODERN SG Standard with an LT-II and its BAD-A$$ ! I had to change the 490's out but that did not affect the LT-II, which has been on it since right after I got the guitar....

I cant help but think that the LT-II is somehow not on the guitar correctly... although it is pretty straight forward installation.....and pretty hard to screw up.....but I could imagine someone screwing it up if they did not bother to read the supplied instructions...sorry to hear this...IMO, the 'Doozy's ROCK ! Have yet to fail me.....
************IMPORTANT***********
another thing is the LT-II has to be put on in such a way that the posts are tightened a little at a time on each side, not by tightening one side down and then the other...that would be a disaster and it says so in the instructions? IIRC ? I AM A STUBBORN **** AND WOULD NEVER GIVE UP ON IT AS I KNOW THE LT-II'S ROCK, but..... YMMV ? it shouldn't but it might...R U sure its a real 'Duesenberg' Les Trem II Tremolo? and not a knock off POS ? They are not sold in the USA, as far as I know...I bought most of mine from the manufacturer in Germany...one or two from dealers in the UK....Northwest Guitars in Liverpool, IIRC ? Black 'Duesenberg' box with styro-foam holding the unit w/instructions underneath...with a plastic bag holding supplied hardware and hex keys ! there are also two different size bolts and if you used the wrong ones you would seriously strip the post insert bushings on the guitar, the wrong ones might go on but it would cause problems, I am sure.
Doozy LT-II's are a marvel of German engineering, I suspect something is not right.... ..just my hunch.

tuna

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me on this. I put it on and took it off several times - each time following the directions perfectly. I tried both one and two washers. The difference was not major.

I'm pretty sure this is a legit Les Trem II; I purchased it from Anderton's and the packaging is as you've described it.

By pulling forward, I mean you you can see the base of the trem not sitting flush against the washers. It's angled toward the strings. I'm not using super heavy strings or anything, so I'm not sure why that was happening. But, I think there's a good chance that played a role in the tuning stability issues.

Maybe I did indeed get a faulty one. I'm a pretty handy guy and I don't think I would've screwed up the install. When I sold it, I was lucky enough to break even. I think they are hard to come by now, but I wonder if I should get another one and give it a shot again...

AngelDeVille

Reaction score
The pictures of your geetar aren’t loading…..

My comments on the Les trem and stetsbar looks wise are quite disparaging.

I’m a huge bigsby fan, and because if this I have these laying around,,,

The FXR is quite awesome, I think it’s the best functioning Floyd available. When I did have the FXR’s installed, I did not use the locking nut. And I leave the locking nuts loose and use the tuners on the factory floyd geetars I have. Fucking hate locking nuts.

I’m trying to decide if I’m keeping my HP Flying V and my 92 explorer, and if I do I will likely reinstall at least one of these.

Here’s the FXR installed on my former 92

Last edited:

MR D

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me on this. I put it on and took it off several times - each time following the directions perfectly. I tried both one and two washers. The difference was not major.

I'm pretty sure this is a legit Les Trem II; I purchased it from Anderton's and the packaging is as you've described it.

By pulling forward, I mean you you can see the base of the trem not sitting flush against the washers. It's angled toward the strings. I'm not using super heavy strings or anything, so I'm not sure why that was happening. But, I think there's a good chance that played a role in the tuning stability issues.

Maybe I did indeed get a faulty one. I'm a pretty handy guy and I don't think I would've screwed up the install. When I sold it, I was lucky enough to break even. I think they are hard to come by now, but I wonder if I should get another one and give it a shot again...
HHHMM, the way you describe the 'ANGLING' of how the LT-II is contacting the washers is puzzling....I just took a look at the way the bottom of the LT-II contacts the washers on my EXPLORER and it is FLUSH/EVEN with the bottom of the unit on both sides. and its all perfectly parallel to the top of the body of the guitar as any similar Tremolo would be (Floyd Rose, IME)...... the LT-II could be warped OR/AND the way the bushings are inserted in the guitar is somehow in-correct and the bushings are sitting in the top of the body slanted in the direction that your seeing........and without being there....... IDK.......depending on the way the paint and lighting is situated things can get mirrored and it can be tricky to see how things are sitting/lining up.....

I did get one of the Doozy's' with a missing BOLT (and it was one I need to mount the damn thing!) and had to wait 6 weeks to get a replacement from Germany... the LT-II's are solidly built and if I had to bet between the inserts being installed crookedly in the top of the guitar or the LT-II being defective...IDK, maybe (LOL !) I'd be looking at GIBSON USA ?.....but hey.....IDK...........AND....... I do know it sucks either way....ya buy something and the damn thing don't work...FFS...do you think we narrowed down the problem as to why it ain't working ? A WAY TO KNO ? TAKE A LOOK AT THE TOP OF THE INSERT/BUSHINGS .......are they angled in the SAME way you described to begin with ?

MR D

Reaction score
The pictures of your geetar aren’t loading…..

My comments on the Les trem and stetsbar looks wise are quite disparaging.

I’m a huge bigsby fan, and because if this I have these laying around,,,

The FXR is quite awesome, I think it’s the best functioning Floyd available. When I did have the FXR’s installed, I did not use the locking nut. And I leave the locking nuts loose and use the tuners on the factory floyd geetars I have. Fucking hate locking nuts.

I’m trying to decide if I’m keeping my HP Flying V and my 92 explorer, and if I do I will likely reinstall at least one of these.

Here’s the FXR installed on my former 92

The Floyd Rose looks completely BAD-A$$$ !!! What do those go for ? I'm guessin north of $250 USD ? I LUV the looks of the BIGSBY's, but the ones I had, even with the Towner Tension Bar, just never held tune...and I tried everything, save the locking NUT. I didn't think it would matter if the slots were all filed correctly.....

Von Trapp

Reaction score
First off, if a guitar with a trem don't stay in tune it's usually the nut or a bad job stringing it up. The strings need to be locked. I don't know anything about les trems but I do know this:

1. Get the Floyd Rose FRX, even though it's pretty aggressive and expensive. I would always TRY to find a way to work around installing the locking nut. - that way is locking the strings or getting locking tuners.

2. Revisit the Les Trem II and get more appropriate bushings and/or bridge. - that thing looks silly

3. Leave it as a hard tail, which I really don't like. I'll fester in my obsessive brain forever! - don't go for second best.

Bigsbys are for your grandfather, Floyd for those that want to pay too much and like overly complicated bullshit as well as routing the sh!t out of their guitars. (or having a trem with a guitar attached as with the FXR)

The Maestro Vibrola will be your friend. The one without the useless metal behind it. Get a quality one.

Easy to mount, not overly expensive and stylish. What more can you ask for? And no, it doesn't throw a guitar out of tune if you know what you're doing and yes, you can wammy the crap out of it. I play metal and the thing hasn't failed me yet.

MR D

Reaction score
First off, if a guitar with a trem don't stay in tune it's usually the nut or a bad job stringing it up. The strings need to be locked. I don't know anything about les trems but I do know this:

1. Get the Floyd Rose FRX, even though it's pretty aggressive and expensive. I would always TRY to find a way to work around installing the locking nut. - that way is locking the strings or getting locking tuners.

2. Revisit the Les Trem II and get more appropriate bushings and/or bridge. - that thing looks silly

3. Leave it as a hard tail, which I really don't like. I'll fester in my obsessive brain forever! - don't go for second best.

Bigsbys are for your grandfather, Floyd for those that want to pay too much and like overly complicated bullshit as well as routing the sh!t out of their guitars. (or having a trem with a guitar attached as with the FXR)

The Maestro Vibrola will be your friend. The one without the useless metal behind it. Get a quality one.

Easy to mount, not overly expensive and stylish. What more can you ask for? And no, it doesn't throw a guitar out of tune if you know what you're doing and yes, you can wammy the crap out of it. I play metal and the thing hasn't failed me yet.
I agree, 'MAESTRO's are damn good tremolo's and they LOOK even better. IMO 'MAESTRO's look better looking than any BIGSBY...I have a Chrome 'MAESTRO' on a 2019 SG 'Original' (itssa STANDARD !) and the only better Tremolo as far as staying in tune goes, IME, is the Les Trem II......The LT-II aint the greatest looking of contraptions BUT they gets the job I need done, DONE...and for a mere $125 too !

I did not know a player could go out and buy a 'MAESTRO' new...I'd haven't a clue where to buy one, NEW, if I were looking to do so...

Of course I cant post a picture of 'Maestro' but w/Aged Cherry finish, Chrome H'ware w/57 in the neck and '61T in the Bridge..Kluson Revo's...'MAESTRO' is a Beauty.....and.....SHE FRIKKIN ROARS !!! and looks GREAT doing so...its easily in the top 5 of best SG's I've ever played/owned/touched.......its also got that 'IT' Factor goin on.....great guitar. I'm using a MAC and posting pics just will not happen.....

Bad Penguin

Reaction score
Ok, here's my 2 cents thrown in...
If you are loving the feel of the guitar, and the sound fits what's in your head, don't turn it into a strat. It's a different animal, and none of the trem systems will give you that same feeling. It's like a Paul player trying to get the same tones out of a strat, or a Bigsby user getting used to a Floyd. Accept it for what it is.

MR D

Reaction score

How many washers did you put under the Les Trem II posts? Is the same number of washers on each side? I have LT-II's on @ least 5 GIBSON's and they all RULE: 2 SG's and a Lester, Firebird and Explorer..... all Standards...and they all ROCK and do exactly what they are supposed to do...I highly recommend the DOOZY LT-II's.....

I cant help but think that the LT-II is somehow not on the guitar correctly... although it is pretty straight forward

tuna

Reaction score
Thanks all for the great suggestions and feedback. The bushings appear to be perfectly installed and level. I did order another Les Trem, but it's way back-ordered. I think there's a good shot it was warped. If that doesn't work, I will go to the Floyd Rose.

I completely agree with the comment about not trying to make an SG into a strat. But I don't see any other options. The SG modern is the only guitar I've tried that lets me play how I want to without any pain. I suppose I could try to get a Digitech whammy...

The only other thing I can think of is to have someone like Warmoth do a a custom build and match the specs of the custom neck to the specs of the SG modern as best as possible. I'm just skeptical that it'll do the trick. And if it's custom, I think I'd have a hard time returning it if it doesn't work.

Thanks again!Attach files

Von Trapp

Reaction score
Glad you seem to have sorted it but I'm curious, why did you not feel the Maestro was an option?

tuna

Reaction score
I rather not drill into the body. I believe the Maestro requires that?

MR D

Reaction score
Thanks all for the great suggestions and feedback. The bushings appear to be perfectly installed and level. I did order another Les Trem, but it's way back-ordered. I think there's a good shot it was warped. If that doesn't work, I will go to the Floyd Rose.

I completely agree with the comment about not trying to make an SG into a strat. But I don't see any other options. The SG modern is the only guitar I've tried that lets me play how I want to without any pain. I suppose I could try to get a Digitech whammy...

The only other thing I can think of is to have someone like Warmoth do a a custom build and match the specs of the custom neck to the specs of the SG modern as best as possible. I'm just skeptical that it'll do the trick. And if it's custom, I think I'd have a hard time returning it if it doesn't work.

The Doozy's are back ordered almost everywhere...BUT BUT BUT...did you try the manufacturer ? The retailers in the UK I ordered one from were always a long wait.....but the manufacturer or supplier in Hanover, Germany always came through with no hassles or long wait time.....this was pre-pan/scam-demic though...I forgot the name of the company but it is in Hanover, Germany...I have the receipt somewhere..I'll look it up and post it here if I can find it..... that way you might not have too long a wait........might take a day or three to find the receipt....

Von Trapp

Reaction score
Aha, ok, understand. Yes, that's true but if your concern is to not "damage" the guitar in case you want to sell it later then beware that the les trem will cause discoloration so it will be "ruined" for resell anyway. If you're not planing on selling it ever, then just drill man. It's the best trem...

3bolt79

Reaction score

The SG Modern has an asymmetrical neck. If that works for you there is nothing else that really compares. It’s the same with mine, although it’s an Epiphone Version. Very comfortable. I love the neck on mine. And the Epi version comes with out of phase push/pull and locking tuners.

MR D

Reaction score
Aha, ok, understand. Yes, that's true but if your concern is to not "damage" the guitar in case you want to sell it later then beware that the les trem will cause discoloration so it will be "ruined" for resell anyway. If you're not planing on selling it ever, then just drill man. It's the best trem...
Interesting.....How long did the LT II take to do so ??? I've got a Les Paul STANDARD...with a really gorgeous CAP and I would hate to see it get ruined, especially by a frikkin $125 LT-II.......the DOOZY's been on it for 3 years....

MR D

Reaction score
YO TUNA: The Duesenberg Les Trem II can be ordered from:

ROCKINGER GUITARS GmbH
Lilienthalstr.2a -D-30179
HANOVER, GERMANY

PHONE: 0511-283000

E MAIL: [email protected]

The above is not the manufacturer.....IDFBI, but I actually can't find that receipt....but if anyone has a 'Doozy' LT-II 'IN STOCK'.....ITS ROCKINGER Guitars (They ROCK !). IIRC, they are located around the block from where the part is manufactured ! They ship world-wide and will have the unit to you in a FLASH !

Last edited:

Latest posts