Line 6 POD HD for recording

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by eelir, Feb 13, 2014.

1. eelir

eelir Member

I have a MBP and I am wondering if anyone has used Line 6 POD HD for recording? Note that i will probably use the usb port for recording (is there any other way for MBP?). Are they any good? Are the effects decent enough or should i just stick with GarageBand ones?

2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Garageband has some good stuff, but I'd try your POD out - I use a lot of the virtual POD FARM plug-ins and really like them.

If MBP = Mac Book Pro, then USB or Firewire are the only ways to input signal.

Good luck.

3. eelir

eelir Member

Thansk dbb. Yes, MBP is a Mac Book Pro. I have recorded with garage band and a cable from rocksmith game. It is ok, but i could not get the best tones out of it. I haven't really got the POD HD desktop. I wanted to hear if anyone has it first and what are their experiences?

4. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

The Seven String Guitar Authority - Sevenstring.org

Plenty of POD HD threads there.

5. eelir

eelir Member

thanks Gemini75. I tried to browse the threads there but since i am not registered i cant just search the forum. Anyway, i was just interested if someone here uses such gear and what do they think about it.

6. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

The trick for getting the most out of a POD is to stay away from the Line 6 cab sims and use an impulse loader and some IRs.

7. eelir

eelir Member

that all seams a lot complicated and i don;t know what are you talking about. Sorry, I'm a noob :(. Anyway i got this one from sweetwater. It will be delivered in about a week.

Line 6 POD HD | Sweetwater.com

I was thinking of getting SGJ or used SG special. But as i really do not know where my life will take me in next 6 months i decided this thing will be a nice little toy to record and play guitar with headphones.

Thanks a lot for your help though. I hope i did not make a mistake because it seams cheep for $199.

8. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

The POD HD is a good unit and definitely worth the price. The effects and amp sims are very good. The only shortcoming with POD in general are the cab sims, which I personally don't think sound that hot. But if you're getting this just for the convenience of being able to play on the go through headphones then you will definitely not be disappointed.

What you can also do with the POD HD is run the USB out into a PC and record that way.

eelir likes this.
  9. eelir

eelir Member

So I got my POD a while ago, but between family and work I had not much time to really try it as i would want to. However, I made some recordings with garage band. So far it seams as this thing almost ideal for me needs. I would want a pedal though to mess around with wah, but at the point i have not much room for too much gear.

I made a small tune - theme song (loop) for my wife's cooking channel.

https://soundcloud.com/ilir-jusufi-1/receta-shqip-theme-tune

Thanks again for your comments guys!

Dreamscape likes this.
  10. cpower

cpower Member

The HD is great for home recording. I use my 500 in a recording program called Riffworld. The HD is like any thing. It has a learning curve but its not to bad. If tweaking isn't your thing you can goto the Line 6 tone library and download something to your liking. Have fun with it and I will tell ya its worth every penny. Oh yea one more thing. Plug it in to computer (usb). Then download line 6 monkey(this will keep you up on your updates). Then get the editing software. This makes it very easy to setup your tones, amps, effects ect.

11. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

You mean Riffworks?

12. cpower

cpower Member

Oops! Yes that's what I meant. Thanks

13. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

I use Riffworks myself. Love the ease of use, but the lack of the ability to load full fx/amp/cab sims chains really limits its status to that of a digital sketch pad.