Line-in recordings - how to tweak?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Heket, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Being an old coot from a bygone era, I must admit that much of this digital stuff simply confuses the hell outta me. I'm barely able to function within the Audacity system, which has been said to be primitive compared to many others out there. No doubt true, and being brutally honest (just ask my ex-wives when they asked "Does this dress make me look fat?") I often still record on tape creating many tracks and load them into the computer for final mixing and storage. I understand tape well....

But back to Miss Heket's issue with the USB from her little amp going into the computer and not getting both the wet and dry signal. I take it that the USB signal is from the preamp, and this USB connection also serves as the prime manner in setting up the programed files in it's own little internal digital stuff and to add downloads for updates and such? Quite a lot for one little device. But I'm still wondering how, if its sending a stereo signal to the computer, it fails to get both sides of this as an input to the stereo input to Audacity's program? Thinking along the lines of an old tape guy I have now answer. But trying my best in digital thinking I can only assume that there is something in the setting of the input for the program that's causing a mono type signal to enter. Perhaps the selector for the input is in fact set on mono rather than stereo, and thus is choking the signal and compressing it? I'm just taking a stab at this with my analog brain and may well be all wrong too. :dunno: I'm sure there is a logical solution to this issue that awaits discovery. We just haven't found it yet.:hmm:

Heket likes this.
  2. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Gemini - I forgot to mention, my interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I'm not using pedals, but the THR is a modelling amp and thus has its own sounds. The Hayden with the line out is also used just by itself, so I guess the speaker emulation they used is just not my favourite. It's a shame really because I can't get rid of it, there's no direct out. But you say the cleaner the better? Perhaps I should record all line-outs as clean and add everything else later? Can I get plugins for that with Reaper?

I've now downloaded Reaper and as far as I can tell from literally just starting it up and recording right away it has solved some of my problems! I still find cab sims to sound a bit woolly but I guess that's something to be fiddled with? The roughness I was complaining about before is much better and it sounds more like what was coming out of the THR. Looks like I'm halfway there! Now to source some cabinet plugins and effects and whatnot that you've been talking about.

Wade, if I set an input in Audacity to stereo I do get a stereo effect in one track but not the dual channels :dunno:. I haven't tried this yet in Reaper. I'll get there one day. If Garageband can find it, a decent DAW should be able to too. Bah, now I looked at the Garageband website and it makes me want it! Alas, I have a complete deficiency of Apple products.

Just for clarity, my entire chain for this simple setup is:

Guitar -> THR5 USB out -> Audicty/Reaper
    Guitar -> Lil Mofo Head emulated out -> Scarlett 2i2 -> Audacity/Reaper

3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Amp and cab sims would be the way to go, but you should also be able to record a good signal from your USB unit too.

I'd suggest some of free guitar amp/cab sims out there, and see which ones you like...maybe even enough to buy.

You'll enjoy learning to use Reaper.

Here's the theme that looks like Pro Tools:

REAPER | Resources

Reaper forum

REAPER Forums - Cockos Confederated Forums

customization in detail for Pro Tools users:

AdamWathan's Reaper Customizations for Pro Tools Users - Ultimate Metal Forum

free guitar amp/cab sims:

VST 4 FREE - Guitar & Amp Plug-ins

Atoragon's Guitar Nerding Blog: THE BEST FREE VST GUITAR AMPS (a guide with free Vst plugins inside)

Guitar Amp 2 Free Edition, Free Amp Simulator plugin, Download Guitar Amp 2 Free Edition plugin, Free Plektron vst plugins

Audio tube/valve overdrive plugin (AU, VST) - Voxengo Tube Amp - Voxengo

Best Free Guitar Amp Simulator VST/AU Plugins!

Free Guitar VST (plugin) Collections - Free Your Amp and the Rest Will Follow - Live4guitar | Online Guitar Community

I like these:

Download Free Amp simulator plug-in: StudioDevil_BVC by Studio Devil

a basic Marshall sim, not bad and free "British Valve Custom".

Audiffex » ampLion

Free version, limited:

Audiffex » ampLion Free

[​IMG]

Komplete : Guitar : Guitar Rig 5 Player | Products

http://line6.com/software/index.html?submit_form=set&name=POD+Farm+2

I've heard good things about these but have not tried them:

LePou Plugins

Best of luck!

Heket likes this.
  4. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Ya'll just shot right over my head and I'm outta things to say. That's not being ugly by the way, but saying that I'm just an old tape head at heart and way outta me league.:dunno:
    Good hunting! I'm crawling back into my cave now and gonna do my neanderthal thing now...:wave:

5. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Heket, one item I'd really recommend is the Joyo British Sound pedal. Once I started using that I ditched all my amp sims. I know Joyo makes a "Vox" version in this series too. Now I just run the Joyo straight into Reaper and pile on the effects plugins.

Also, Reaper comes with a lot of free plugins as well. The most useful being the ReaEQ. Personally, I really like the "No Mud" preset for cleaning up loose tons and the "11 Band Marshall" preset for beefing up the anemic ones.

Two other things I'd recommend paying for is POD Farm for its effect plugins and the other being Recabinet, as it's the best impulse loader I've used to date.

As for cab sims, I have a ton of those. So if you're looking for a specific cab I probably have one in my library.

Heket likes this.
  6. Dreamscape

Dreamscape Active Member

Another question from the dunce of the class....
    Can I just use my HD300 to record to Reaper using the amps/FX of the unit & just turn off the HD300 cab modeling & use the Recabinet plugin in Reaper on the recording?
    The HD300 has some pretty good FX.
    I just have not had any spare time to fiddle with Reaper.. Summer is a busy time for me at work, have to make hay whilst the sun shines & it sure has been shining in Oz lately, I work outside landscaping & have been melting in 33-40 deg Celsius temps plus very high humidity & nights are not much cooler. My computer is not happy & nor is my brain I think it is just about fried like an egg :)

7. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I tried the free POD farm - and liked it so much I bought the basic version, which came with amps, cab sims, pedals, bass amps, and a whole virtual rack of other effects. Highly recommended!

The plug-ins included with Reaper are limited compared to what comes with many DAWS but they are quite good and work well.

8. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Yes. In fact, that's what most people do. Just open Reaper, create a new track, and add Recabinet.

The Recabinet IRs are pretty good, but if you're looking for variety try here,
    GuitarAmpModeling.com • View forum - Speaker Cabinet Impulses

Here you will find hundreds of free to download cab impulses.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    Dreamscape likes this.
  9. Greg Connor

Greg Connor Well-Known Member

This stuff gets complicated. I have not used the editor yet. I have used a patch chord on other amps, my acoustic amp for example, and never got a good result.

I'm having good success with a microphone in front of the THR though. I adjust the input on the recorder, and it sounds great.

10. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Thank you all so much for your advice in this thread, you've been incredibly helpful to Dreamscape and I :applause:. There's loads of stuff for me to get busy with now, although of course further tips are much appreciated!

You know what, I'm going to admit and say that I have no idea what POD Farm is. That's something for me to Google.

I'm looking at the Joyo pedals now, I remember we discussed them in your thread on the British one. I'll probably end up with a Vox one although I'm guessing I'll need an extra boost for high gain stuff. Pedal -> Reaper -> effects sounds like a doable chain for me. I'll do some experiments this weekend with the reaEQ and the existing things in Reaper itself. I'm not completely up to speed as to what an "impulse" is yet, but when I am I'll look at Recabinet.

Looks like this will keep me busy for a while! For now I'll use the clean channel on my THR, unless I manage to find that dual wet/dry split somehow. I'll research the Joyos further. And anyway, at least a Joyo pedal isn't exactly going to break the bank!

Dreamscape likes this.
  11. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

POD Farm is Line 6's software - and I really like the whole package.

Line 6

Minimum System Requirements
    1GB RAM
    1GB free HD space
    Hard drive speed 5400rpm (7200rpm or faster recommended)
    CD or DVD drive
    Mac® AU/RTAS®/VST® and Windows® RTAS®/VST® compatible
    System Requirements for MAC SystemsMAC®

G5 dual 1.8GHz
    OS X 10.5, 10.6, 10.7
    System Requirements for Windows SystemsWINDOWS®

Pentium® IV 1.4GHz
    Windows XP (SP3), Windows XP x64 (SP2), Vista 32-bit (SP2) and 64-bit (SP2)
    System Requirements for iLok SystemsiLok

iLok versions require iLok USB Smart Key (not included) and an Internet connection for activation

http://line6.com/podfarm/models.html

Even the free version gives you two amp models, two cab models, 13 pedals, etc. I purchased the upgrade to the middle version, and it's plenty for me.

12. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

Don't forget to browse through, and try out some of the JS (jesusonic) plug ins that come with REAPER. One of my favorite limitters is in there...event horizon is it's name. There are plenty of other useful tools in the JS box too.

13. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

This is true - although Reaper has no instrument plug-ins there are a number of effects that are quite good, the JS stuff sure is!

14. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

You'll definitely need to boost the Joyo pedals if you want high gain. The British pedal does a nice job of being a good starting platform for a solid rock/metal tone. I think you'll find it useful. It's certainly priced right. ;)

Impulses are cab sims (IRs= impulse responses).

A couple of other tips for getting a good tone would be to double track stuff, hard pan it L/R, and put a very slight delay on one of the channels.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3dqJBux94k[/ame]

15. Dreamscape

Dreamscape Active Member

I agree Heket these guys have been really helpful & it is much appreciated.:dude:

I won Podfarm on ebay years back, it was a brand new damaged package complete with Riffworks & Gearbox for $35.00.. I had a lot of fun with that... Riffworks was very cool as it had some great drum backing tracks all adjustable for BPM etc.

I also have a Joyo pedal a US Dream & that gets a lot of use ( bargain pedals Heket buy one or two) along with my MI Audio Super Crunch Box that I purchased recently.

I will have to wait a while before I do any Reaper fiddling as I am going away OS this weekend, mind you the island is only a few kilometres offshore, bit of camping in the dunes. :naughty:
    Cheers.

PSS Thanks for that link to guitarampmodeling Gemini75 lots of good reading to blow my mind a bit more :)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  16. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I want to correct something - Reaper does have at least 3 virtual instruments, Reasamplomatic5000, a sampler (you'll have to find some samples too), ReaSynDr, and ReaSyn, drums and a synthesizer.

17. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

Madrid, Spain, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky way
    Heket, here another THR5 and Reaper user... I just started last week... I came from Cubase but I had it almost forgotten due there's no way to understand it...

But with Reaper, I was recording in two days....

I just use the THR and the THR Editor and plug THR directly to a laptop... just tweak it before starting to record until you get your desired sound, WRITE in a block all your settings or save a patch with the song name!!!!!
    One advice is use good headphones... it helps to keep some consistency in overall sound.

I really don't care much about cabinets and that stuff... just try to get a good sound by equalisation, amp type, Gain and Vol. Don't use even any effect

As far as I cand do it works veeery good

18. Dreamscape

Dreamscape Active Member

Ok guys & girls I need more of your valuable help I have looked at all I can find online but for the life of me I can't figure out how to monitor the output in Reaper.
    I hit record arm & the VU's are working & it records but for some reason I cant hear anything when recording using headphones hooked to my computer.
    Any ideas on what I have missed?
    Guitar>HD300>USBcomputer/Reaper.

19. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

On the channel strip that is record armed look for the button that shows "record monitor" when you hover over it...set it to on.
    If you can't see a record monitor button, you may need to enlarge the size of the track control strip a bit for it to show up.

20. Dreamscape

Dreamscape Active Member

I must be blind I can't see that button heres a screenshot.[​IMG]