Lipman and son, the UK's Mens Warehouse?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

A long time ago I bought a morning coat and some trousers from Lipman and sons in Leicester Square or there abouts. Are they still there and has the quality gone down or is it just ugly rumours?

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    They are still around, but not near Leicester square. And they are decent quality. These days I find the best quality comes from shops like Marks and Spencer. Their QC is tight to the point where a tiny bit of thread hanging off the end of a seam will result in rejection. And I especially like the fact that when you buy a suit you choose jacket and trousers separately. That way I can buy what fits me - 43 chest and 32 waist. Most shops force you to take what they call a matched set. No good for me. But back to Lipman - as I say they are there and OK, but being small they can't impose the same quality standards on their suppliers. Most of their trade is one day morning coat hires for weddings and funerals.

Biddlin likes this.
  3. Biddlin

That's what happens when you open old trunks you haven't seen in years and find "stuff." Memories are all you really have anyhow. Right now I'm looking at a picture of myself in 1958 at Stanley Park in Vancouver. I can smell the Douglas firs feel the heat.

4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    1958 - like me you must have been pondering the ramifications of the Suez crisis. That's what eight year olds do. :cheers:

Biddlin likes this.
  5. Biddlin

Although not quite as worldly, I was precocious. In the snapshot, I was likely plotting my return to the wilderness when my family repatriated to the states. I didn't want to leave my friends and pet behind so I used to go and watch for likely boats I could commandeer.

donepearce likes this.