Locking tuners on Standard ‘61?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by JohnJ, Jan 20, 2020.

1. WhiskeyWhiskers

WhiskeyWhiskers New Member

Suhr did for a while until they started using their own branded ones, which are pretty damn similar to the Hipshots. And John is picky as hell.

Top is a Kluson I took off a LP Traditional, bottom are Hipshots. I agree, with the plate especially they look kind of stupid on the back, but who the hell is staring at the back of the headstock? Geez, Gary Moore put Sperzels on one of the most famous 1959 Les Pauls ever, a holy grail of holy grails. And I have no issues with neck dive.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  2. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

All the major brands' locking tuners would work, but I like the Hipshots because they weigh very little. If you go with plastic buttons instead of metal, like I did, they will be probably be the lightest and smoothest locking tuners you could find.

I agree they look a bit goofy, though ;)

[​IMG]

Biddlin likes this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Headstockgr2.jpg Headstockgr1.jpg
    Do these actually look the same to you?

4. Biddlin

I remember what a bit of dust or metal could do the old open tuners back in the day, I've got 60's harmony that has 'em but I've be careful not to let them get dirty. How will those hold up to average use, I wonder.

5. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

6. JohnJ

JohnJ New Member

Some of you are quite...let’s say passionate about this topic. I guess I care more about how well they work than how they look, as long as they’re not some visual abomination. I have to admit, I’m not a huge fan of the look of the stock tuner buttons, so there’s that.

The hipshots I ordered are supposed to arrive in a day or two. Just for fun, I’ll post before and after headstock pics so you can tell me how I ruined a perfectly good guitar. :)

And again, thanks to everyone who offered helpful advice in the thread. I really do appreciate it.

7. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

I think that the KLUSON Revolution tuners is the best choice, high quality an light weight, nice vintage design, high ratio, plug aand play with the Gibson de Luxe

Temp 18.jpg

SG Standard TBK 30.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  8. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Be sure to post a pic following the installation so the naysayers can express how horrified they are! :wow: The bottom line is it's your guitar, JohnJ. Make sure it works best for you. :dude:

9. Biddlin

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    You wouldn't eat snow that color, would you?

10. Biddlin

Here's the thing: "I care more about how well they work than how they look.." There is of course great wisdom in that. I am of the opinion that function and form are inextricably linked and if a "part" is congruous with the whole I have no issue with it. My personal aesthetic eschews Steam Punk and "Relic" guitars but I have seem examples of both that are aesthetically and artistically cohesive concepts. If I liked the "feel" of a D'Angelico better, I'd even overlook the garish headstock and tuners. In the case of guitar tuners, I have actually done a number of swaps on SGs to lighten the headstock, but always with an eye toward "verisimiltude" or authenticity. Having played now for some 53 years, I own but one guitar with locking tuners, unless one counts the vintage Fender inline 6
    [​IMG]
    on my partscaster. I find them convenient, but unnecessary.
    "The bottom line is it's your guitar, JohnJ. Make sure it works best for you."
    Indeed, but you'll play it more often if it looks good, too.

11. JohnJ

JohnJ New Member

Biddlin, you left some important pieces out of what I said.

I said I care about how well it works as long as it's not a visual abomination. I also said I'm not a huge fan of the stock tuners. So I don't feel like I'm losing anything by taking them off the guitar.

So it's not that I don't care at all about how the guitar looks. I do. Part of the reason I bought an SG is because I think they look cool (but mostly because I like the way it plays and sounds).

I guess I feel like the tuner buttons are a pretty small part of the overall aesthetic, not worth getting that worked up over. Maybe I'll feel differently when I see them on there. I'll let you know in a day or two.

12. papagayo

No probleme, with pleasure

SG Standard TBK 209.jpg

13. JohnJ

JohnJ New Member

Alright, as promised, before and after pictures.

Before:

After:

Personally, I like them. All the other hardware is chrome, so the tuning buttons being chrome doesn't bug me at all. It looks more, I don't know, consistent I guess.

Neck dive? Oh yeah, there's neck dive. But there was before, too. It's probably a little worse now. Hard to say for sure without a stock model to compare side-by-side. I can't find definitive answers, but googling a bit, it looks like the stock Gibson tuners are about 8 oz, vs. about 10 oz for the Hipshots.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  14. papagayo

I prefer before with light weight tuners.

IMG_0078.jpg

15. JohnJ

JohnJ New Member

Yeah, I agree it looks nicer, but I just don't spend that much time looking at the back of the headstock.

16. JohnJ

JohnJ New Member

Quick followup. Played the SG for about 3 hours today. Did lots of hard strumming and bendy stuff. Tuning problems are gone. You may or may not care for the look of the Hipshots, you may or may not think that locking tuners are even necessary, but they seem to be doing their job very well. And that's what I was after, so I'm thrilled.

I'm well aware that tuners are only one part of the equation when you're having tuning problems, and it's possible that something else was responsible for the problems I was having, but my anecdotal evidence is that changing the tuners out (and the strings, of course, same gauges as stock) resolved whatever was jacked up.

bwotw likes this.
  17. John Mann

John Mann New Member

I have modifying non locking tuners for the PRS guys. I offer the same mods for vintage tuners that fit Gibsons as well.
    The locking thumb screws add a total of .3 ounces

The photo shows a PRS Core guitar with Kluson tuners tuners that I modded.
    More info here - https://store.guitarvaultusa.com/category_s/7162.htm

[​IMG]

18. PhoenixFear

PhoenixFear Active Member

Here’s a shot I have of Kluson Revolution tuners on a 2003 Faded SG. Keep in mind these are non locking and this is a 2003 model but they fit perfectly with no modifications to the guitar. The locking versions I’d imagine are the same mounting. I really liked those tuners.
    [​IMG]

papagayo likes this.
  19. premiumplus

premiumplus Member

Looks aside, many SG's suffer from neck dive and I like the method of locking my strings over the regular, non locking tuner shaft like in the pictures above. I've been doing it since the late 1960's.
    I don't see any benefit in locking tuners even if you have a tremolo. Wrap your strings correctly the first time, make sure your guitar's nut is shaped and polished, and unstable tuning disappears.

20. Blkjakk

Blkjakk Member

I recommend the Kluson Revolution Locking tuners. I have them on 4 of my Gibsons: 2 SGs and 2 Les Pauls. They are a direct drop in replacement for the Tuners on your guitar. They do not require any additional drilling and the extra weight on them is extremely negligible. They look fantastic and work great. String changes are so quick with them as you know being a locking tuners fan. I an a locking tuners fan as well. Here’s a pic of them on one of my Gibsons & here’s a link to them: https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...MI2POulPqp5wIVex-tBh0QvgnkEAQYASABEgLk3vD_BwE

Attached Files:

papagayo likes this.